Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Alissa Cohen's book secondhand? [Secondhand bookstore in Canada ... ?]
Posted by: Diana (Cda) ()
Date: January 03, 2010 09:18AM

Anyone who lives in Canada knows how very costly buying books directly from the US can be ... even when there's currency parity (which there isn't right now), by the time you convert the price of the book _and_ shipping and handling, it becomes prohibitively expensive! To give the example of my first and _only_ time I ever bought a book this way about 10 years ago, the ~US$14.00 book cost me ~Cdn$48.00 by the time everything was said and done ... I wouldn't have bought it if I'd known that would be the end cost. The book wasn't worth that, either.

And to give the example of what most books usually cost me when I buy from a Cdn bookseller, from those living food authors who are kind enough to provide them via regular sources, that ~US$14.00 book would probably be priced around Cdn$17.00 or so and then with tax would be under around Cdn$21-24, more or less.

So, that said, as much as I want Alissa Cohen's book, I've never bought it because she refuses to deal with publishers as they take out too much of her profit - hey, those aren't the words they used, but that's what their excuse for not using publishers really meant - they didn't like the exhorbitant money publishers "steal" from the authors, or somesuch. Forget the exact wording, but that's the bottom line. Well, that is their prerogative, of course, but that's why I'm looking at an alternative buying source. When you're on a tight budget, last thing we need is to be paying outrageous prices for anything.

So if anyone knows a reliable secondhhand bookstore source for this book in Canada, pls let me know. I'd really like to get it but don't want to be paying inflated prices for it, either.

Thanks. smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2010 09:20AM by Diana (Cda).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alissa Cohen's book secondhand? [Secondhand bookstore in Canada ... ?]
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 04, 2010 12:21AM

Diana I hear ya , fortunately i am at nearly live close to the border so i have things shipped to a adresss there, cross the border , cross back over with it myself.

not sure where you live or if that is acessable to you.

UPS really sticks it to ya if you use them (or fedex_) because not only do they charge duty , and tax , but they also charge you a brokerage charge , so evn if it is a an under 20$ item they still charge a minimum brokerage fee so yea that item that is 15$ is now + tax + duty + brokerage charge

kaaaaa-ching !

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables