Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How can I help a friend...
Posted by: Joanne81 ()
Date: July 11, 2008 08:09PM

I have a friend who is brilliant, but has some strange religious beliefs that I don't understand. He strongly believes in hell. Fear is a large part of his life. Personally, I am not religious and don't believe in heaven and hell. I wouldn't normally put down someone's beliefs, but I think his are destructive. I am torn because who am I to say he is wrong when it is his reality? He tends to follow people who claim to be spiritally higher than him, but these people use him. How can I help a person see how wonderful they are, not be afraid of hell and not to so easily follow others (who I believe are fakes). He has enormous potential, but just can't see.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How can I help a friend...
Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 12, 2008 08:43PM

that`s a toughie!! can`t really put down his views...who`s to say he`s not right and you`re wrong? i don`t buy the idea of hell either....well not in fire n brimstone ways anyway. i believe hell is a separation from god, our creator...whatever you call that spiritual side of yourself/all things. fear is a huge motivator in religion. maybe helping him get in touch with spirituality and not religion w/out putting his religion down. he`s looking outside for self worth whereas he should be looking within and at all the glorious things surrounding him. maybe a gratitude journal?
patty

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: July 12, 2008 10:00PM

I recently befriended a holy roler. But when I admitted that I didn't believe in life after death and especially hell or heaven, she became pretty strident. I got bombed with email after email, link after link, "Oh, you are so WRONG" and "All the studying in the world isn't going to help you." and all this condescending stuff.

It was pretty painful. They think we are stupid and deluded for not seeing it.

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 12, 2008 10:16PM

arugula Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> It was pretty painful. They think we are stupid
> and deluded for not seeing it.

yea some do think that. i think their fear plays a big role in that. some peeps just need to be "strict"/"rigid" to stay on what they think is a good path with good motives....i always try and go back to my nonjudgemental self or what i try to be as nonjudgemental....i screw up but i try and think that everyone does the best with what they got at the moment. meditate/pray/send nice thoughts....whatever language you use it can`t be a bad thing to send them good vibes and good thoughts.
patty

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 13, 2008 02:03PM

well joanne

just let him have a feast on his fears
then tell him to come back later to you and ask him " how does it serve you"?

hey, maybe it DOES serve him

there are reasons why people do the things they do

also u say the word "fear"

but maybe it could be something else

like respect, caution, prudence

or whatever

these things are profound and complex

heaven is an inner state and so is hell

and people have different visions of what is what

i think its important for you to pay VERY CLOSE ATTENTION

to what he is saying

and more importantly

WHY he feels the way he does

what is his background? how was he raised? what are his main concerns in life?

put in this context, the way he thinks may make sense ... if only to him

that doesn't mean u have to go to his church and do his things

but before u try and change him

try and UNDERSTAND him first

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables