Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What are you reading?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 12, 2008 05:48PM

i picked up a copy of the China Study [www.amazon.com] at the thrift store for $2 (can you beleive it? brand new too, wow) but i have a friend who is pretty new to raw who i thought could really benefit from it so i lent it to her after only skimming and reading a bit. it really does look like a terrific book, i'm looking forward to devouring it page by page later on. right now i'm reading the Ecology of Commerce instead [www.amazon.com] , i just started it but i like it so far.

i was checking out my amazon wish list page and thought about checking a couple of suggestions of LaVer's out of the library; nickel and dimed [www.amazon.com] working [www.amazon.com] but instead i checked out stupid sock creatures [www.amazon.com] what can i say? i have a weakness for crafts.

and this one looks really good too, Savage Breast: One Man's Search for the Goddess [www.amazon.com] . i think someone here might have recommended that one. it's next on my list.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What are you reading?
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 12, 2008 06:51PM

..c

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2008 06:52PM by la_veronique.

Date: September 12, 2008 07:04PM

what's up girl? you are reading a book called ..c? is that like the life of pi [www.amazon.com] ? c is for cookie? hmm...

Posted by: Itzdavey ()
Date: September 12, 2008 07:57PM

I tend to read a bunch of stuff at once.

Right now I'm reading Don Quixote
Also the Zen of Creativity by John Daido Loori Roshi (read it before but I'm taking notes now)
Speed Cleaning by Jeff Campbell
November issue of Analog Science fiction and Fact
Thief of time by Terry Pratchett
A book called "Think in Spanish" it has articles written in spanish with the vocab in the margins. It's a bit advanced for me though so I might hold off.

And a couple others I can't remember at the moment. I'm kinda ADD. smiling smiley

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: September 12, 2008 08:26PM

I'm reading from the following:

The Healing Gifts of the Spirit -- Agnes Sanford
(spiritual healing classic)

The Good Fight -- Peter Beinart (new book, found laying on the sidewalk!)
(political tome-- 'the call for liberla sto revive the spirit
that once swept America and inspired the world')

Chairman Mao Would Not Approve (new book, found laying on the sidewalk!)
(modern Chinese fiction-- interesting!)

The Untethered Soul (The Journey Beyond Yourself)-- Michael A. Singer
(an incredible book that helps the reader disengage from the
constant onslaught of thoughts and emotions to find her authentic Self)

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: September 12, 2008 08:39PM

oh, i forgot about my midnight reading (to help me fall asleep, though it is turning out to be much more interesting than the fluff i thought it was!) Deception, a novel of mystery and murder in ancient china by eleanor cooney and daniel altieri.

davey that Speed Cleaning by Jeff Campbell book looks interesting but i am already kind of a neat freak so i don't know if it would benefit me. what do you think of it?

and you know, i've never read any terry pratchett though i've heard bunches about it and i think i'd like it. those series though, i can't stop reading until i've read them all and i get a bit obsessed about finishing and ignore everything else in the meantime.

sharrhan that's funny that you found a book on the ground and that it's Good! i wonder if you live in san fran, a friend of mine is there and she is prone to leaving random treasures, books, photographs and such where they will be found by someone. it's funny.

Date: September 12, 2008 08:44PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> oh, i forgot about my midnight reading (to help me
> fall asleep, though it is turning out to be much
> more interesting than the fluff i thought it was!)
> Deception, a novel of mystery and murder in
> ancient china by eleanor cooney and daniel
> altieri.

I'm also on my 2nd read of the Lord of the Rings. It's kind of my emergency sleeping book, when nothing else works. A few paragraphs of Tolkein and it usually knocks me right out. lol

> davey that Speed Cleaning by Jeff Campbell book
> looks interesting but i am already kind of a neat
> freak so i don't know if it would benefit me. what
> do you think of it?

It's basically about developing and efficient way to clean. The right tools, right methods, and you're supposed to keep everything with you on a sort of apron. Then you go around and do the whole house in 30 minutes or so once you get all the techniques down.

If you're already a neat freak you probably don't need it, unless you feel crunched for time and want to do things more efficiently.

> and you know, i've never read any terry pratchett
> though i've heard bunches about it and i think i'd
> like it. those series though, i can't stop reading
> until i've read them all and i get a bit obsessed
> about finishing and ignore everything else in the
> meantime.

That could be an issue since he has written so many in the discworld series. I think in the 20s. Still, they are quick and fun reads so it's not like it would take a long time. Good satire and fantasy.

Date: September 13, 2008 03:05AM

coco--
Funny you should ask if I live in San Francisco. I live in Cambridge, MA and it's very much like Berkeley-- pretty close! Same vibe-- progressive college town (tons of colleges, including Harvard and MIT) and lots of people from all over the world, but still with a somewhat small town feel. It was so nice to find this little pile of new books on the sidewalk and realize that they were actually subjects I was really interested in. Oh!-- that reminds me of one more I've been reading that I found in that pile:

Why We Do What We Do (Understanding Self-Motivation) -- by Edward L. Deci

I thought it was an especially great synchronicity that I found this book on the sidewalk, because the subject of how we develop a strong motivation and desire to do certain things in life has always fascinated me. He talks a lot about the ways that society and the education system, parents, etc., foster or thwart our motivation as we are growing up, by rewarding and punishing (not so good) or allowing freedom and autonomy (which works well, apparently). Interesting read.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: September 13, 2008 03:13AM

cool, sounds like a good mama read!

Date: September 13, 2008 04:46AM

itzdavey

<<November issue of Analog Science fiction and Fact>>

u picked up the nov issue, huh?

i picked up an issue from a coupla years back

not sure if i dig the writing style/quality so much

but so what?

i think i'm being a bit of a snob sad smiley

heck, i like the fact that they imagine stuff

period smiling smiley

hey, coco

to answer your question

no i didn't read a book about "pi"

though i did read a book about a mathematician called " The Man who Loved Only Numbers" it was about a mathematician whose soul was on complete fire for his love of math

i so could NOT relate to that particular passion ( except perhaps in a somewhat circuitous roundabout manner) which is the ONLY reason why i read it

LOL

it was about the famed mathematician Erdos
true story

reading another one about Mormonism
only cuz i know ZERO about it

though it is so skewed ( even though i know nothing about it, i can tell that it is skewed to the max... whatever)
i doubt there is a book that is "balanced' about any religion ( ha hasmiling smiley

oh and i am reading other lovely things
so lovely in fact that i can't even talk about it ( LOL smiling smiley

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 13, 2008 06:07AM

I read daily A Net of Jewels. If you use iGoogle or My Yahoo!, you can use the RSS link to feed your homepage.

I am also enjoying No Way: For the "Spiritually" Advanced. Here is a sample of Ram Tzu's wisdom:

Ram Tzu knows this...

God doesn’t care
What you had for lunch.
He created tofu and sausage
With the same thought.

Yet you advanced ones
Swell with pride
Convinced your special diet
Is a shortcut to heaven

Clever you.
Who would have thought
To look there.

The fools go on eating poison
In blissful ignorance.
Too stupid and unspiritual
Not to enjoy their
Ice cream, french fries and red meat.

Ram Tzu says...

Far better to die a single death
Than a thousand little daily ones.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: September 13, 2008 12:21PM

I've been reading this:
[www.amazon.com]

Libertarians need not click.

Date: September 13, 2008 01:25PM

Ver, that book about Pi isn't about math, just so ya know. Pi is a little boy who makes friends with a tiger. actually, a very touching and lovely story. i'm glad i reminded myself of it, little is old enough now to enjoy it as a bedtime story i think...

oh man Bryan, those are terrific quotes! i wishlisted that book, sounds great. little and i have been talking about god a bit lately, at first he was sort of turned off but we spoke of world religions and the different things people believe or think about god and it peaked his interest. i know what i beleive/think/feel but i have let it become vague and unspecified, only a feeling for me you know? it's hard to solidify it to talk to him but i want to give him all the information he wants and needs to choose for himself.

arugula, as ususal i just love you girl. a big kiss, that book is wishlisted too.

Date: September 13, 2008 05:42PM

la_veronique Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> itzdavey
>
> <>
>
> u picked up the nov issue, huh?
>
> i picked up an issue from a coupla years back
>
> not sure if i dig the writing style/quality so
> much
>
> but so what?
>
> i think i'm being a bit of a snob sad smiley
>
> heck, i like the fact that they imagine stuff
>
> period smiling smiley

Well, kinda hard to judge from one issue, since it's umpteen new authors every month!

What's cool about it is that the sci-fi stories aren't far out, as they are generally rooted in fact, and a large majority of them take place somewhere around present times rather than some super-far-out-future-date.

And the factual articles are brilliant. Also different authors. I've been getting it for a few months now.

-DaveK

Date: September 13, 2008 07:27PM

hey itzdavey

good point
i did just get ONE issue

of analog

and then just chucked the idea of getting a subscription

i went to a book swap not that far back where people swapped science fiction books left and right

it was held at a potluck function

attended by sci fi fanatics

i like reading all sorts of things

anyhoo

i got TONS of books from that little shindig

and my lil plastic bag was about to be ripped apart from the heavy weight

reminds me of when i was a little kid and i was so oooo greedy during halloween that even though the paper bag was about to bust due to so much candy that i got ( i would keep on ringing on one door after another)

same feeling i thought
to myself " i really shouldn't get any more books... but .. ggeeeez... they look so interesting " LOL smiling smiley

Date: September 13, 2008 08:39PM

i'm like that with craft books and magaqzines, it's so silly. i'll never make all the crafts in them but they are so inspirational! i can't seem to help myself.

Date: September 13, 2008 08:41PM

I have to get another bookshelf, and I think the first thing I'm going to do is create a special space on the new shelf for "Books I haven't read yet." They do look nice up there though, especially the really smart ones.

-DaveK

Date: September 14, 2008 09:12PM

i need a new book shelf too
mines looks all tattered with mags and notebooks and such
mixed up with books
geeeez

its all beautiful

Date: September 15, 2008 01:46AM

there is the best thrift store here, the spry old man who collects all the donations for them recycles Everything! he made me a gigantic bookshelf out of old water bed frames and it's gorgeous! i can only put books on the top three shelves though 'cause the bookeater (my daughter) can reach the bottom three, ha ha!
all the craft books are in my studio on a really cute three shelf beauty with cut outs along the sides and all the foody books are in the kitchen in the built in cupboard. i'm so lucky to have spaces for all my books, it's hard to let any of them go.
oh yes, and little of course has a big shelf full in his room and the baby books are safely boxed away until she stops seeing them as "snacks". *giggle* we are fully loaded for books!

Date: September 15, 2008 03:26AM

>...he made me a gigantic bookshelf out of old water bed frames and it's gorgeous!<

That sounds really neat, coco!

>...and the baby books are safely boxed away until she stops seeing them as "snacks"...<

lol!!!

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Joanne81 ()
Date: September 15, 2008 04:46AM

I am reading a book called "The Great Work" by Thomas Berry. It is amazing. He is a scholar and monk with an incredible grasp on the history of civilizations and ecology. He draws on his extensive knowledge and insight to create a vision of global healing and the celebration of life. I recommend it!

Date: September 15, 2008 04:54AM

thanks joanne, it's added to my amazon wish list (49 new and used copies from $2.79, gah i love that website!)

Date: September 15, 2008 08:06AM

joanne says:

<<He is a scholar and monk with an incredible grasp on the history of civilizations and ecology. He draws on his extensive knowledge and insight to create a vision of global healing and the celebration of life. I recommend it!>>

can he condense everything he wrote in that book into one poem?
i'd read it LOL smiling smiley

bussssssssy right now

bzzzzzzzzzzz
but sounds really neat-o!

Posted by: Joanne81 ()
Date: September 15, 2008 02:53PM

la_veronique - He does have a knack for saying a lot in only a few words. Even though I don't think he could condense the whole book in a poem (lol), the book is impressively short.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2008 02:54PM by Joanne81.

Date: September 15, 2008 11:09PM

whoa, wow. clever, funny and scary all at the same time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables