Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

sad smiley
Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: September 16, 2008 08:09PM

Friday we were preparing for hurricane Ike. We didn't plan to leave because where we live we didn't expect it to be too bad. We fed the horses and the one I adopted last year (Major) didn't eat all his food. This is a sign of colic which can be fatal for horses. He has not been taken care of in the past and has colicked often. Because of this I was prepared with a shot I got from the vet. The vet couldn't come out because we had a curfew for our parish and were already getting some winds. The shot didn't help and he got worse and worse. We tried everything we knew and he only got worse. He suffered terribly before finally dying early Saturday morning. It really broke my heart. I hate that anything should ever suffer like that.

Since you guys are my friends I wanted to share my sad story with you. I guess it brings comfort to know all you loving people are out there thinking about me and my sweet horse.

Re: sad smiley
Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: September 16, 2008 08:21PM

Hey Pakd4fun, Im sorry to hear, I know how you feel I recently lost a best ``animal friend, they are part of our familys, I will go out right now and light ``some incence and pray for our friends.
Peace rhb one great thing Pakd4fun you know that animal was loved well. stay ``strong friend>

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 16, 2008 09:09PM

Hi Pakd4fun,

I'm sorry for you, too. All our animals are like children, and it hurts so bad when they suffer. But you know you did all you could to give your horse a wonderful home and so much love while he was with you.

Something that helps me feel better when I remember our pets who have died -- I like to believe that this is just a 'choice' we are experiencing this death of a loved one, and there are many other 'parallel universes' and 'planes'. So that in other consciousnesses, we are with them. And if we visualize them here, they are with us.

Lois

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: September 16, 2008 09:11PM

You have my condolences pakd. It is definately hard to witness suffering, but I like to think of everything as eternal in the one great spirit, and nothing ever lost forever. I think this poem is appropriate for such occasions

Do no stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow;
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain;
I am the gentle autumn's rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft star that shines at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.

Date: September 16, 2008 09:38PM

Thanks for the kind words.

Your words really are a comfort.

The poem is so beautiful.

Right now it is hard for me to get past being upset thinking about it but I know I will have a better perspective soon. I am glad I was able to give him lots of hugs and love in his last year. He was such a gentle,loving animal.

Posted by: Itzdavey ()
Date: September 16, 2008 10:09PM

A Buddhist prayer for you:

May Major be at peace.
May he have a favourable rebirth.
May his family and friends be comforted at the tragic loss of his life.
May they also be at peace and be comforted.

-DaveK

Date: September 16, 2008 11:52PM

peace and love your way sister.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: September 17, 2008 12:06AM

sad smiley

Kisses for Major in heaven.

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: September 17, 2008 03:23AM

HUGS

Posted by: Kit ()
Date: September 17, 2008 04:12AM

I'm sorry pakd4fun, I don't know why things like that have to happen.

Kit

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 17, 2008 04:58AM

well geeez i feel like crying too just reading about it

sad smiley

how very very sad

but i liked itzdavey and lightform's poem

so very very peaceful and beautiful

don't have a tv but heard a bit about ike

hows it faring now?

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: September 17, 2008 06:26AM

So sorry for your loss pakd4fun.

Hope your kids are holding up okay, it must be hard for them too.

Hugs,

Sapphire

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: September 17, 2008 12:02PM

:{ Hugs & condolences

Posted by: Jose ()
Date: September 17, 2008 03:54PM

Sorry to hear it pakd4fun, it may be the right time to remembr all of the times in which you both shared the magic of life, and cherish and be thankful for that opportunity.

Hope you feel better soon.

Cheers,
J

Date: September 17, 2008 10:21PM

Thank you everyone.

Those poems are beautiful!

You are all so thoughtful.

Hurricane Ike devastated some areas areas where a lot of our friends and family live but not too bad here. Major was our only loss. I still can not get in touch with my friend who lives in Galveston. I know she got out but I am concerned for her home and her many rescued cats. I heard it may be two months before people are allowed to go back to Galveston. My husband works on the gulf so he has been home since Thursday. We are having a little vacation. My husband's elderly uncle has been staying with us until his power comes back on. He is kooky and fun. The kids love him.

Sapphire,

It is so sweet of you to think of the kids. We were all upset over it. They have seen many deaths though. We rescue a lot of aged animals. Since they were in bed through the worst part, they were not aware of his suffering which was what was so hard to deal with. I feel literally sick every time I think about it.

Date: August 29, 2009 04:23PM

Hey its nearly a year since the hurricane and I wanted to extend a thought to Pakd4fun since its been a year since the death of her horse. My mom grew up with horses and even though I've personally never had any, I can honestly understand that loss.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 29, 2009 05:58PM

My condolences, pakd, and a big hug. Horses are so much our brethren, I'm sure yours knew that you were doing your best for him. Animals are blessed to be incapapble of morbidness. Try not to be distraught around your children, dear--they feel the death of animal so acutely and helplessly, it will make you feel worse. Peace to you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables