Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

a new free speach discusion board
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 23, 2008 03:50PM

Soon I will see if my web site has forum options on it. If so I am going to start new free speach boards there.

Down with cry baby censorship!

elnatural

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: a new free speach discusion board
Date: September 23, 2008 06:09PM

good for you El, i think moving the political discussion to another forum is a great idea. let's keep this one about raw foods and health related stuff and visit here when that's what we want to talk about. i like the OT when we post inspirational things here, that's very uplifting to me. let us know when you start something up. when i want politics, i'll know where to go smiling smiley

Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: September 23, 2008 06:51PM

This forum is for discussing what is considerd off topic for the other forums.
Subjects seemed to be coverd with all the forums available.
Mabey if you feel the politic should be elsewhere, You could ask Brian if he
could put up a new post politics only, seems to me this is the forum that is
wide open, but there are lines that can be crossed where it goes beyond debate,
somewhere else, Agations, egos race blaming the disabled, the poor the `disadvantaged thats agatatng people with heart and there are a lot of them on `this site. Brayn has the eye I feel for what is real and what is neg.
I know where not to go when I want politics and where to go when I want `agatation now.
Down with cry baby hate and agitations up with the rest

Posted by: Itzdavey ()
Date: September 23, 2008 08:40PM

elnatural_1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Soon I will see if my web site has forum options
> on it. If so I am going to start new free speach
> boards there.
>
> Down with cry baby censorship!
>
> elnatural

Most of the crybabying I've seen here is from people who don't understand the difference between censorship and moderation.

-DaveK

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: September 23, 2008 09:40PM

Moderation would be to deleat offensive posts. In this case all posts were deleated, that is censorship!

Kise'

Date: September 23, 2008 09:48PM

I guess I missed something, since I didn't see the allegedly non-offensive posts that were deleted.

Generally moderation is to ensure a messsage board can run in a way that promotes a relatively focused discussion. That is a little tricker here since this board is for off topic material. But for the most part the threads I've seen removed were inflammatory, hate speech, fervor rhetoric, etc.

I can't answer for anything else except to say that Bryan generally does a pretty good job of keeping things civil here, and he's done it in a very diplomatic way. It's not a job I would want.

Political discussion is one thing, but if people feel the need to push a particular agenda, they should do what everybody else does and get a talk show or blog. I don't see how this is the place for it.

-DaveK

Date: September 23, 2008 09:58PM

An entire thread was deleted. Over 30 posts. Hours of work gone.

Date: September 23, 2008 10:04PM

pakd4fun Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Moderation would be to deleat offensive posts. In
> this case all posts were deleated, that is
> censorship!
>

i'll point this out again, this board is free, bryan is a volunteer as well as being the ONLY moderator here. it's unreasonable to expect him to read every post in every thread to seek out and determine only what he thinks may be the offensive posts and delete them, thereby leaving threads partially intact and hard to follow (which people would also surely complain about). if a thread is contentious enough to be causing upheaval and disruption he is going to get rid of it. that's fair.
this is supposed to be a place to come and talk about raw foods, we are lucky to have a forum for non-food related things in the first place. we don't own this board, we don't pay for the privilege of using it, it is Free and we agree to abide by the user policy when we sign up. if you don't like it you are free to leave though i think that's cutting off your nose to spite your face. this is a good place in general but we all have to be willing to give a little to keep it that way. so be it, there are other forums for political discussion. no big loss there.

Date: September 23, 2008 10:12PM

It isn't about politics, it isn't about off topics, it is about perfectly fine posts that people spent hours on being deleted. Reading every post and deleting the entire thread were not Bryan's only choices, as you seem to keep saying. There was one person who was disrespectful and the others were simply of a different opinion.

Date: September 23, 2008 10:16PM

I'm sorry to hear that, actually. One thing to keep in mind though is that there may be technical limitations here. This board's software is fairly primitive. We can't even delete our own posts. Perhaps deleting individual posts isn't an option even for the moderator? I don't know, just giving the benefit of the doubt.

-DaveK

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: September 23, 2008 10:33PM

coco--
I hear you. I think that if we had civil discourse about politics on the off-topic board, however, it wouldn't be so daunting and the political discussion could actually be interesting and informative. I personally love both the inspirational and funny stuff, as well as the political, but I'd be the first to agree with you that something's gotta give.

pakd--
I'm sorry all the posts were deleted in that thread-- as I said earlier, that was not what I requested, but it was probably necessary-- but the posts that were offensive were, in my opinion, not perfectly fine at all. They were outrageous and very hurtful. I worry, in fact, that newcomers going on the 'off-topic' board for the first time will think we're a bunch of vigilantes.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: September 23, 2008 10:51PM

If you recall Kwan, I had some things to say to the poster I found to be rude. It isn't your fault I feel wronged. I agree that some things were outrageous and extremely rude. I feel good about putting rude posters in their place. If Bryan feels he has reason to delete a post than, by all means, he should do it. He should not delete all those hours of time and effort we put into the ones that were not disrespectful. I spent close to an hour on one this morning. It is so frustrating when one is lost to cyberspace, but to find out someone just swooped down and deleted it, that is maddening.

I will look for you when I make it up to Boston smiling smiley. I imagine you will not be hard to find. Jonathan will be easy to spot as well.

Kise'

Date: September 23, 2008 11:11PM

Kisa,
If you can make it up to Boston, I'll roll out the red... er, purple carpet for you! :-)

The same thing happened to me the other day on Suvine's post on the main board. I posted something I kind of liked, but a couple of people had said some rather snarky things to Suvine about her picture, so Bryan deleted everything from a certain point in the thread. I think in the future if I post something I'm especially partial to and want to save, I'll copy it and put it in my 'writings' file, just in case.

I'm feisty and will put people in their place (even the young'uns) sometimes, but I still LOVE THIS FORUM and everybody in it.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: September 24, 2008 01:30AM

i think it's being assumed that bryan was only responding to one complaint but i am guessing that that isn't the case. i missed the thread in question entirely but there are hundreds of people here who only read and don't post often, it's not unlikely that someone else took offense. we can't know that and it wouldn't be right for bryan to tell us either. i don't always agree with him on everything (in fact we regularly butt heads) but i am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here because i Know how hard it is to moderate a discussion board. until you realize the details of that you just don't understand what it involves but lemme tell ya, it is Complex!
everyone who needed to read what i wrote did so, i don't mind that it's gone now. i'm letting it go.

Date: September 24, 2008 03:25AM

coco--

hmm, that's true! there may well have been more than one complaint. i volunteered that i complained, but i'm guessing more than one other person did, as well. anyway... all water under the bridge now.

i moderated 3 different Yahoo groups at varous times in the past, so believe me, i have total respect for the complexity of Bryan's position as moderator. i often had to referee disagreements between people when they got out of hand, steer conversations in healthier directions, and occasionaly delete a post or suggest that someone back off from inflammatory language. it's a difficult job!

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables