Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What to do about bees...???
Posted by: sunshineTX ()
Date: April 11, 2008 08:28PM

This just seems totally weird to me, but our backyard is totally taken over by bees (both the small ones and the bumble bees). We have indian hawthorne that is blooming beautifully, but we can't enjoy it because the bees are EVERYWHERE. Does anyone have any suggestions about what we can do to discourage the bees...???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What to do about bees...???
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 11, 2008 11:07PM

Well, I guess this proves that the "Disappearing Bees" was just a "Conspiracy Theory" and "Fearmongering"!!

Thanks, sunshine.

Say Hi to Ron Paul for me smiling smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 13, 2008 01:45AM

sunshine

that is interesting

no you are no the only one

other people have said they have had swarms of bees just come out of NOWHERE

and start going to ONE place

then they move to another place

its like they lost their home

or they are angry

or they are without a compass

but no... bees have built in excellent compasses

so scratch the last thing i said

but .... yes something definetely strange is afoot

i think it has a LOT to do with corporate agro practices

Date: April 13, 2008 04:56PM

Why don't you set up a hive and learn about bee keeping, what a blessing that they have chosen your garden. Try Anastasias suggestion on how to build a bee hive in the "ringing cedars of russia " book series. In book number one she gives advise.

Date: April 13, 2008 06:07PM

Thanks for the responses. I do appreciate it.

nomade, that is a nice idea, but we have a very small backyard and the indian hawthorne's line the patio, so we cannot, nor can our 5 year old grandson, spend any time out there. I think we've decided to remove the hawthorne (as much as I hate to do that)...

Date: April 13, 2008 06:12PM

that's the best way to take care of it i think, remove whatever is attracting them to your yard. that way they will just go about their merry little way elsewhere. bees are wonderful From A Distance! i don't want to cosy up to any of them either.
good luck!

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 14, 2008 05:11PM

Bees are appearing to be in peril right now. I think it would be a good Idea to find an expert and get their opinion. Maybe an agriculture expert at a local college could help.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 16, 2008 07:39AM

and i think they are attracted to certain bright colors as well
so don't LOOK like a flower LOL smiling smiley either

Date: April 16, 2008 11:09PM

Yeah, I don't wear anything scented either. As a matter of fact, I can't stand perfumes; they make me sick.

Trust me, hyldemoer, the bees won't starve. There are lots of flowering shrubs in our community for them to feed off of. If I were able to admire them from a distance, I would fine with that, but they are surrounding our small patio. The hawthornes were just planted in the wrong place by someone who owned the house prior to us. It is a shame...

Good point, la_veronique. smiling smiley

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: April 16, 2008 11:20PM

Here is a recent article about flowers loosing their scent due to pollution. Maybe bees are roaming more to find pollen...

[abcnews.go.com]

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: April 17, 2008 12:07AM

I don't know why having bee's would be a problem realy, if they land on you you can just wave them away. They will only harm you if you go treading on them and then only if you do it in bare feet. They are not aggressive creatures ?

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 17, 2008 01:23PM

I have been stung a few times for no reason other than I didn't see the bee. It wasn't because they were aggressive but sometimes they do sting anyway.

I have had a really strange experience with some bees that may have been the African killer bees. We were at a coastal park in Texas in a open air pavilion. My daughter came down from the top level saying you have to come see these bees. I was carrying my then baby and went up with the two of them. The bees surrounded us and wouldn't allow us to go back down the stairs. They were hovering in the air around my head. They weren't moving, only hovering and I may sound nuts but a few were looking in my face. It was very scary. I eventually had to make a move to leave and they allowed it without a sting. Very weird. I had read a book of memoirs a few years before in which the author thought bees were highly intelligent. He cited some examples to back up his theory. I always thought he was right and after that experience I had an even stronger feeling toward that belief.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables