Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

no toilet paper?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 18, 2008 12:53PM

ok, some kids on allysa's site are talking about using flannel cloths instead of tp. as much as i'd love an alternative to all that flushable paper i wonder how that can be at all sanitary. so you just throw a bunch of @#$%& and pee covered bits of cloth in with the rest of your laundry (that's what they are doing/suggesting) and that's clean enough for you? all i can think about are any potential parasites that are now ALL over the whole family's things including their underwear. way to pass it around. yummy.
i always thought that hulda clark was onto something when she suggested that underthings should be boiled. not that i do that but i do think it's a good idea to wash intimates, towels, washcloths and sheets in very hot water. and cloth diapers ~ i sure wouldn't throw those in with the rest of the wash!

what do you think, is this idea crazy or am i a prude?

this one girl has no tp at home, her guests go to the local gas station if they want to wipe their bums with tp when they are visiting her. i bet she doesn't get a lot of visitors.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: no toilet paper?
Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: August 18, 2008 03:06PM

Well, hmmmm......

I am not planning on doing this but if I were I would do it just like I did cloth diapers and have a pail with a lid next to the potty filled with a borax and baking soda water solution and I would swish them and dump the water down the potty before washing them alone, in the pre-wash and then wash cycle with more borax as well as detergent. I think all that washing uses more resources than a little TP.

I would not want to use this woman's towels or any thing. Nothing would feel clean to me. Surely she would allow you to bring TP to her house if you wanted.

Posted by: Joanne81 ()
Date: August 18, 2008 03:17PM

I am curious what cultures do who don't have toilet paper. Does anyone know? I notice eating a highly fibrous, mostly raw diet has the tendancy to cause cleaner @#$%& without doodie left of the backside. It slides right out and leaves the bottom as clean as a whistle. Maybe a body that is in optimal health does not need toilet paper anymore.

Date: August 18, 2008 05:54PM

when my bf went to india he discovered that people don't touch their food with their left hands as that is the one they use to wipe with. he keeps a jar next to the pot and rinses himself after a bm and then washes his hands well. he always seemed to have a very clean bottom to me (no skid marks in his undies), i find that uncommon in a dude. i know, tmi but it's so true!

my appologies to all the dudes reading this who have clean bums. yay you! your lady appreciates it!

Date: August 18, 2008 10:42PM

It's okay to use the cloths for pee, but not @#$%&.

This is "Reducing Your Carbon Footprint" into the negative.

Recycling Gone Amok.

Posted by: zella ()
Date: August 19, 2008 12:48AM

are you trying to say...reduces the foot print..

but not the butt print? HEHE

I think it's a cool idea. Probably only people who used cloth diapers on their kids would think so. It could work and I might try it. So, there. I am a better environmentalist than you. HA.

Date: August 19, 2008 01:24AM

eww. can't say my cloth mama group feels the same way. none of us is willing to do this. baby @#$%& is just so innocent and uncorrupted, grown up waste is a different story i think.

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: August 19, 2008 11:21AM

For people preferring to clean with cloth instead of paper, maybe rinsing over a bidet first and then drying would be helpful.

Bidet info at wikipedia

Date: August 19, 2008 02:36PM

Yeah....I am a cloth diaper user and I am not doing it. If I did have to though I would be 80-10-10. I would need the cleanest @#$%&, LOL!!

I don't know which is more, the amount of paper you use or the resources to clean the cloth.

We should have hemp TP, I would feel good about that. We could all grow our own if it was legal.

I want a bidet.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: August 20, 2008 03:56AM

Did you know Thomas Jefferson cultivated over 200 varieties of hemp? So silly, our government, banning the growing of hemp.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: August 20, 2008 03:46PM

<<<So silly, our government, banning the growing of hemp.

No kidding. Makes no since at all.

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: August 22, 2008 10:59PM

I saw a video where the lady who went raw to fit into a dress, and make a video of it (can't recall her name now)... anyways, she went to visit a group of raw people in Hawaii, where they lived off the land, showered outside, and used leaves for tp in their outhouse like toilet. Leaves sound like a nice alternative to both tp and cloth (o:

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Date: August 23, 2008 09:34PM

I wonder what is the best type of leaf to use as a toilet paper substitute. That would be hilarious if I started keeping a stack of leaves in my bathroom instead of toilet paper. Friends would think I am losing my marbles.

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: August 23, 2008 11:07PM

Some people who address their cleanup while outdoors use banana leaves straight from the tree, since these are soft and large as well.

As a postscript to this subject I was speaking to a lady who grew up in the country without access to indoor facilities. She said there is actually a bug that would hang around where she would eliminate and as soon as she was done it would start to feast on it and roll away tiny amounts at a time so that by the following day it would be all gone. Vultures, hyenas, sharks, these bugs and more...testament that mother earth sure has an efficient sanitation system if humans would avoid messing it up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2008 11:09PM by Pistachio.

Date: August 25, 2008 06:34PM

whoa, dung beetle! "@#$%& clean up between the trees, please!"
in the house, what would you do with those leaves? not flush them, that's for sure! i think that only works outside or in an outhouse.

Date: August 25, 2008 06:55PM

Why can't you flush leaves (not that I am seriously going to try it)? I would think they are flushable.

Date: August 25, 2008 09:05PM

toilets are really only designed to handle organic matter that falls apart when in contact with water (poo, tp). that's why paper towel quickly clogs up the works. i imagine flushing leaves would soon require a plumber tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: August 27, 2008 05:04AM

One paper towel will work Ok, that's what I do when I run out of TP.

I think washing your TP is insane, aren't the oil companies behind the save a tree campaigns? They should be. So that we use plastic that will never degrade, instead of paper which will be gone in a year or two?

Mullen leaves are the best TP leaves to use. They are velvetly soft.
[bp2.blogger.com]
[www.woventime.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2008 05:08AM by Lillianswan.

Posted by: brome ()
Date: August 28, 2008 06:25PM

Before tp:

"Rural Americans tended to use corn cobs. They do not sound all that comfortable, however, it is reported that they are not really uncomfortable at all. It is only old corn cobs that are uncomfortable. Fresh moist ones just after the corn is chewed off work well. James Whitcomb Riley even wrote a poem about this occurrence, "The torture of that icy seat could make a Spartan sob / For needs must scrape the gooseflesh with a lacerating cob." "

If you use a composting toilet; leaves, moist corn cobs, moist newspaper, etc would aid the composting process while in a water wasting flush toilet they would clog it up.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2008 06:30PM by brome.

Posted by: zella ()
Date: August 28, 2008 07:32PM

OMG Brome. No way am I getting a doggie to like me down there.

Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: August 28, 2008 11:05PM

Never thought wipping your butt , was an act of voilence,( hard wood habitat
detroyed for tp production) I go to the post office and pick up free tp `1040
Irs form paper, its ruff butt it works, I have a friend near by that would recyle
old American flags for TP, butt he got rectinal cancer and died, I wonder about
wipping with Bleached TP the white ones, kestering bleach up your butt-got `cancer? the brown tp is not bleached, thats what you should buy if your not `going to use the 1040s or flags. TP should be made from hemp paper not hardwood
Critters homes. Butt the goverment is afraid of hemp paper because they say the `small amount of thc in hemp will make everyone not want to wipe, butt smoke `instead.
Butt cloth tp sounds like hepititus to me scary.

Date: August 28, 2008 11:20PM

dog bog, ugh, i feel sicky.

corn cob bottom, that's just rotten!

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: August 29, 2008 12:32AM

?

never know what will be lurking in this forum...

with cloth baby diapers, i did separate loads- would never mix with towels or clothes.

as for our @#$%&?
well, it's the one paper product we buy.

you know, i'm not anti-technology-
bidet?
i'd love a bidet.

but until then,
i think using toilet paper is a good option.
would prefer hemp or recycled
totally

i'll start buying it now if anyone knows of a product.

or i'll go outside with a leaf if necessary
(fyi- don't do that with a 18 month year old nearby-
for at least a year after you do this, he will announce
whenever you're near the site,
to all present
"Mama @#$%& here. In snow. Mama @#$%&."winking smiley

oh yeah-
snow works too
brisk
winking smiley

peace-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables