Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

natural toothpaste no fluoride okay!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 15, 2009 07:36PM

yeah i've been using Toms of Maine natural antiplaque toothpaste
i picked it up at a local organic store but some people out there are just using baking soda and stuff like that for toothpaste

i guess the point is
fluoride shouldnt be going into our bodies
i've actually heard FAR more things about it being harmful to teeth than good
its also in tap water, and i feel so bad that other people have control over whats going into my water
and im not going to use their toothpaste just because thats what normal people are supposed to do
everyones just doing everything they think their supposed to
eating what they think their supposed to
it sickens me!
heres a website about fluoride

[www.fluoridealert.org]

and you guys should check out this guys videos on youtube hes the MAN

[www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: natural toothpaste no fluoride okay!
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 15, 2009 07:42PM

Jenna,

I cannot tell you how many people I know are ignorant about fluoride and wise up and get well--thanks for posting! Love that Durian Rider!

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: February 16, 2009 03:18AM

Get this, guys: the Codex Alimentarius Commission has declared that only about 15 'supplements' are safe (all the rest will be illegal), and guess what made it to the short list: FLUORIDE!! Yes, they actually declared fluoride an official and allowable supplement.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 16, 2009 10:59PM

tom's o maine is okay
then there is vicco as well
and jason toothpaste products
and the list goes on and on and on

lots of toothpaste u can get that is herbal that does not contain flouride
i don't even look at the other kinds of toothpaste

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: February 17, 2009 02:03AM

I like Jason's peppermint PowerSmile. They call it "peppermint to the max", and it is!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 17, 2009 03:28AM

suncloud,

Oooh! Coincidentally, I just bought Jason PowerSmile today--can't wait to try it!

Date: February 17, 2009 04:02AM

> there is vicco as well<

I love Vicco tooth powder. And it doesn't have glycerine in it like most of the natural toothpastes-- I've read a lot of sources that say glycerine isn't really good for your teeth, so I stopped using all of those brands. I either use Vicco powder or soap.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 17, 2009 07:14AM

kwan

what kind of soap do u use
do you ever use dr. bronner's peppermint soap?
he's got a cool line of products
he has liquid and regular bar soap
its been a while since i've gotten a hold of one of his stuff
so i don't remember the ingredients
i think i recall that there arne't too many ingredients
and they are pretty good
do u know if it has glycerin?

Date: February 17, 2009 07:37PM

Thank you Sharrhan for the suggestion about glycerin!

After reading your post last night, I did a lot of googling about glycerin to see what was up.

It's claimed that glycerin - even vegetable glycerin? - prevents the natural demineralization of tooth enamel. Could be true. Not sure though. I couldn't find any research supporting the claim, but that doesn't mean such research doesn't exist. I'm not exactly a computer whiz.

Seems that these claims may have originally come from Dr. Judd who wrote a book about it.

I'm going to my dentist today, so I'll ask him about it. He's a very good dentist, but of course that doesn't mean he'll know about this! (sigh)

In looking up different tooth pastes, powders, etc. it's possible that Vicco Tooth Powder is intended for the gums, not the teeth. Although maybe, by massaging the gums with it, that cleans the teeth too? (Info available at www.spicesofindia.co.uk).

There's also a Vicco tooth paste, but that contains glycerin.

Dr. Bronner's liquid soaps contain glycerin. It's "retained glycerin" from coconut oil and olive oil. I wonder if glycerin from plants has a different effect than glycerin from animal products. (?) Many toothpastes like Crest, etc. use glycerin from animal products.

There's Peelu Tooth Powder. It contains only Peelu powder and natural flavor.

There's Peelu Tooth Paste, but I couldn't find an ingredients list.

Seems that most bar soaps contain glycerin.

There are Tooth Soaps that don't have glycerin, including Tooth Savior Soap that comes in the form of soap scrapings. It's $18, but supposedly lasts a long time.

There's Miessence Organics Mint Toothpaste, but it's quite expensive at $8.07 for a 4 oz tube (that's kinda small). Looks like really good toothpaste though. Has: organic aloe vera juice, purified water, sodium bicarbonate, non-GMO xanthum gum, sea salt, organic spearmint, organic peppermint, organic cinammon leaf, organic clove bud essential oil, stevia rebaudiana.

And of course there's always good old fashioned baking soda. I used that all the time when I was poor and could buy it with food stamps.

There are most likely other products that I didn't find. I might check the health food store today and see what all they have.

Interesting topic!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2009 07:42PM by suncloud.

Date: February 18, 2009 05:23AM

Correction of the above!:

I guess Vicco tooth paste has changed their ingredients and taken out the glycerin.

Www.viccotoothpaste.com lists glycerin as an ingredient, but when I went to the store today, I found a tube of Vicco Tooth Paste WITHOUT glycerin. I bought the tube and tried it out, and I like it a LOT!

Didn't get a chance to ask my dentist today about glycerin. Will try to ask him when I go back in a couple of days.

I asked the dental hygenist. She said she'd never heard of problems with glycerin, but she said maybe it's just newly discovered.

Whatever the case, I was just running out of the Jason's, and though I liked it a lot, the Vicco tooth paste is really good too. Might stick with it. smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2009 05:30AM by suncloud.

Date: February 18, 2009 07:57PM

Hi Suncloud,
I can't remember where I read that glycerin in toothpaste was a problem; I think it said that it hastened the formation of cavities. I'll see if I can verify that. I like the Vicco tooth powder-- it's a minty brown powder (no glycerine) that leaves my mouth tasting fantastic, and seems to have a wonderful effect on my teeth. Awhile back I had a back molar that was hurting for a couple days (rather badly) and I just kept brushing with the Vicco and all the pain completely disappeared within about 36 hours and my tooth is still healthy. My sense is there's something in the Vicco powder that has almost antibiotic-like properties.

When I brush with soap, I try to get a good natural soap that has no glycerine in it-- one made with some kind of vegetable oil as the predominant binder. My teeth and gums (this is purely subjective, I guess) seem healthier and stronger since I switched from natural toothpaste to Vicco, hydrogen peroxide and/or soap. I alternate them; I just use whichever one I'm in the mood for at the moment.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables