Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Under Our Skin
Posted by: newhoove ()
Date: October 24, 2009 06:43PM

I've been investigating Lyme disease for awhile now, so I decided to purchase "Under Our Skin." Has anyone else seen this documentary?

I've been following the Lyme community for awhile now, so I wasn't exactly surprised in what I saw. With that being said, I was still captured and drawn in to this movie. It really hit close to home and is very emotional. The personal stories are amazing and give great insight on a controversial disease.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2009 06:44PM by newhoove.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Under Our Skin
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 25, 2009 12:36AM

What is "Under Our Skin" is it a citrus spray that wards of the little bugs?

i agree that lyme disease must be emotional

i finished reading a book someone gave me
it was amy tan's memoir

she got lyme disease and it made her have hallucinations

scared the daylights out of me

thank gosh i never got that

Date: October 25, 2009 04:34AM

Under Our Skin is a title of a movie about individuals who have Lyme disease. The movie made me emotional watching it because these people who were bit by a tick, had to make major adjustments to their lives. They went from typical functioning individuals to feeling trapped in their own body with no support from the medical community. Some people in the movie were even bed ridden and couldn't move just from a single bite from a tiny insect carrying a vicious bacteria spirochete.

I recommend everyone opening up to watching the movie atleast once!

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: October 25, 2009 01:10PM

There is so much disinformation/misinformation within the med. community on the subject of Lyme disease... It is a real shame- no, it is a crime that so many folks lives are put in jeopardy because of this disease. The medical community as always - has no clue. My brother, who is an avid outdoorsman was subjected to meds, heavy antibiotics for over two solid years without a break.

His digestive system was basically destroyed, but the docs. insisted that he stay on the drugs or he could possibly "die". They read him the whole fear thing...hammered him hard about it.

Fortunately, he listened to my advice and did some pretty serious juicing along the way, & also did some dosing of Ledum, a homeopathic remedy. After the bout of drugs he ingested, we should have encouraged him to go on probiotics, but for some reason we didn't...

He is still not 100%, but much better than he was. The lyme disease is over with, but he still follows the SAD...

I would like to watch the documentary on it, but that kind of thing greatly upsets me, so I will most likely not...the fact that most of the folks on there have little to no hope, and are putting their faith in modern medicine...no thanks...

Date: October 25, 2009 03:55PM

juicerkatz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is so much disinformation/misinformation
> within the med. community on the subject of Lyme
> disease... It is a real shame- no, it is a crime
> that so many folks lives are put in jeopardy
> because of this disease. The medical community as
> always - has no clue. My brother, who is an avid
> outdoorsman was subjected to meds, heavy
> antibiotics for over two solid years without a
> break.
>
> His digestive system was basically destroyed, but
> the docs. insisted that he stay on the drugs or he
> could possibly "die". They read him the whole fear
> thing...hammered him hard about it.
>
> Fortunately, he listened to my advice and did some
> pretty serious juicing along the way, & also did
> some dosing of Ledum, a homeopathic remedy. After
> the bout of drugs he ingested, we should have
> encouraged him to go on probiotics, but for some
> reason we didn't...
>
> He is still not 100%, but much better than he was.
> The lyme disease is over with, but he still
> follows the SAD...
>
> I would like to watch the documentary on it, but
> that kind of thing greatly upsets me, so I will
> most likely not...the fact that most of the folks
> on there have little to no hope, and are putting
> their faith in modern medicine...no thanks...

I understand how you feel about being upset by such a thing. Part of the problem with Lyme disease is it doesn't get mentioned much anywhere. Medical doctor's don't know how to treat it properly and patients suffer. There is an old adage, "there are none so blind, than those who do not wish to see" I think that rings out especially in the medical community dealing with Lyme disease. Doctors just give a round of anti-biotics and say, "your cured". That is never the case.

Its quite interesting, most of the research peaks around the early to mid 1990s. Recently there has been more research by a select few, but more work needs to be done.

Lyme disease is upsetting and may exhibit feelings of hopelessness, but not talking about it won't bring about hope to the hopeless. Part of the reason why I posted this thread was to allow others to learn alittle bit about it so information can begin to facilitate. Short-term depression of watching a documentary is only temporary and may even spark an interest in others to bring about long-term change.

Juicerkatz, I'm sorry to hear about your brother. It can be a difficult road for anyone with Lyme disease. I live in a Lyme endemic area and it is very common for others to have it.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: October 25, 2009 04:39PM

I also live in a community where Lyme disease is endemic and most everyone knows about it. I've had Lyme's without knowing indicated by a chance blood screening test, then had it again years later judging by a bout with Bell's palsy and got a taste just how nasty those spirochetes can be. I shrugged off doctor's care but can see why one person I know goes on a 3 day course of antibiotics at the very bite of a deer tick, and others a multi-week course when spotting the bullseye rash. Little is said here of making lifestyle changes to help strengthen the immune system.

Thanks for getting the word out.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: October 25, 2009 09:20PM

newhoove -

I hope you didn't misunderstand my post. I agree with you; little is known about lyme, and it is talked about even less. A documentary, especially if it would offer the proper treatment options would be a great thing to get out there for folks to see.

I also live in an extremely heavy "lyme" area, and I am actually outdoors much more than my brother is/was. I do alot of woods activity, hauling/cutting firewood & have done that for probably 35 years or so.

Until 15 or so years ago, I was also a hunter/fisherman, along with doing a lot of fall hiking.

If I have ever been bitten by the tick I didn't realize it, and if so, my immune system was of adequate strength to ward it off. Nothing like the raw lifestyle to combat it all. If I would happen to come down with symptoms that I could link directly to lyme,

my first course of treatment would be extremely heavy immune building juicing, and most likely couple that with the Ledum remedy that I mentioned earlier.

What bothers me about so many "documentary's" is that after they interview the sickly people, they then have a guy in a white lab coat...oh yeah...a "doctor" - a "healer" come on & tell us all about what we should do to get better.

Take this shot, take this pill...That is what really grinds my gears, and what I was initially referring to about not watching it. I do know about lyme after going through it with a family member, I would doubt if I would learn much more from the movie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2009 09:24PM by juicerkatz.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 25, 2009 11:51PM

hey juicerkatz

what exactly is Ledum.. u said it was a homeopathic remedy
is that remedy specifically for Lymes or is it for other stuff too?
never heard of it

it sounds interesting

lyme disease scares me a lot esp. after reading and hearing about what happens to other people when they get it esp. when it affects the brain

it seems like a horrible and cruel joke

i'm grateful i never had to deal with that

just wondering where are the areas where lyme is endemic?

i'm thinking that ironically it is all the beautiful woody forested places that are.... am i right?

hopefully, i'm not

i have a terrible feeling that i am

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables