Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Why doesn't uncut hair look better?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 05, 2009 10:38PM

Uncut hair is more natural isn't it? We're evolved to see hair that's full and grown all over.

Shouldn't a lack of hair signify some kind of anomaly or lack of health/vitality?

When I see a guy without his hair cut and a massive beard... my first thought would be to wonder if he's homeless or a drunk or something. I know, such are the terrible stereotypes we have.

But about male facial hair... males in a lot of species grow facial hair to attract mates. Why is ours any different?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why doesn't uncut hair look better?
Date: October 06, 2009 12:15AM

Supposedly women do generally prefer some facial hair (stubble)

[americanmustacheinstitute.org]

I generally find most body hair on a woman unattractive but I'm aware this is probably mostly cultural.

On myself I don't like beards, they are itchy, hide my face & are generally a pain in the ass. Left to my own devices I shave about once a week unless I'm fairly depressed then I don't shave as often.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: October 06, 2009 02:13AM

Hmmm.
Interesting.
I always thought stubble made you look grubby,unclean,less desirable.
I usually keep clean shaven.Especially on a date!!

Now a study reveals otherwise?

Vinny

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: October 06, 2009 04:18AM

lol...
and we shouldn't clip our nails either, it isn't natural. Heck, we shouldn't use eating utensils, wear cloths or use any other form of "technology" as well. How do you define natural ?

Also, what appeals to one is completely different to another !

Date: October 06, 2009 06:19PM

Lightform Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> lol...
> and we shouldn't clip our nails either, it isn't
> natural. Heck, we shouldn't use eating utensils,
> wear cloths or use any other form of "technology"
> as well. How do you define natural ?
>
> Also, what appeals to one is completely different
> to another !

Yeah but I'm not asking whether we SHOULD do it the whole way or not, I'm just asking why it's not found more attractive. I guess our psychology is very malleable in some respects... although no matter how fat the average person gets I don't think anyone finds sickly-looking fat and no muscle too attractive...

I actually don't clip my nails. I never have (well maybe once or twice ever that I can't remember) and never will. If they get a bit big I simply "peel" or bite them off. Letting your nails get a foot long (like some people do) isn't the natural/instinctive thing to do.

I don't use cooking utensils for eating EXCEPT for cutting melons because a knife just makes it so damn easy to get at the fruit. In the wild I would probably just eat the whole thing, skin and all. I can't do that now because of pesticides etc.

Wearing clothes? Okay you got me. tongue sticking out smiley But of course there are nudist camps and people who believe that humans shouldn't wear close. Might be a bit odd while queueing at the ATM machine and such though...

Technology as in electronics is usually just about communicating with each other, something which is totally naturally in all multicellular organisms (one cell communicating to another one). But you do have a point here as well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2009 06:21PM by SuperInfinity.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 06, 2009 06:51PM

i dont clip my nails either .. i just file the rough edges down if they start looking gnarly (toes and fingers) but they dont seem to get much past the end of my finger tips or toe tips naturally anyways for whatever reason smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 06, 2009 09:47PM

I don't find excessive hair on a guy attractive because, fair or no, it makes me question his hygiene. If he's otherwise neat, with clean hands and fingernails, etc. this improves the impression. But basically it's that I'm not a female chimpanzee, nor a citizen of a nation where jihadis are common, so it's not culturally normal to me.

When I confront discussions like these, I always think of my bishop, a man I revere, with his long wiry beard smelling of incense and speckled with beeswax--OK on a monk, icky on a date : )

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 07, 2009 12:09AM

SuperInfinity:

<< actually don't clip my nails. I never have (well maybe once or twice ever that I can't remember) and never will. If they get a bit big I simply "peel" or bite them off. Letting your nails get a foot long (like some people do) isn't the natural/instinctive thing to do.

I don't use cooking utensils for eating EXCEPT for cutting melons because a knife just makes it so damn easy to get at the fruit. In the wild I would probably just eat the whole thing, skin and all. I can't do that now because of pesticides etc.>>

Actually, you could put your fingernails to use by using them to peel or cut into melons and ... well, probably a watermelon too the way you describe them talons

whoo hhhheuueeeeyyyyyyyyy!!!!!

i like keeping my fingernails nice and clean

and

purrrtyyyyy smiling smiley

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: October 07, 2009 01:19AM

Man can improve upon Nature in every aspect of
Life....especially Diet. When it comes to hair, and grooming,
well, that says a lot about the person doesn't it? I like
clean shaven, with hair mid-length.....WY

Date: October 07, 2009 03:15AM

I think in the USA the best way to go is clean shaven,especially on a date or job interview.
Other cultures the ape look might be acceptable.

Vinny

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: October 07, 2009 04:04AM

Hmm...

My point was actually that, IMO if you are refering to it as "natural" because it omits human interference or subjectivity, then leaving hair uncut isn't actually any more natural than is avoiding using a pale and pitcher in order to "contain" water.

As for what is attractive "naturally" or otherwise, this is truely subjective based on the individual and the culture that they most identify with. It changes with the seasons and has no constant, although there is a general theme which runs through it.

IMO this is an attraction to the resonances of God ( which is in perfect unity ), such as the vitalities of life, symmetries of creation, and harmonies of form. Other than that it is infinite in scope.

Date: October 07, 2009 12:41PM

Lightform

I think u should be the judge in the "Miss Universe" pageant.

vote for me!!!!

smiling smiley

hee heee

Date: October 09, 2009 09:19AM

Superinfinity asks in the topic line:

<<Why doesn't uncut hair look better???

my answer: cuz it doesn't

my question: are you assuming yourself that it doesn't?

my second answer: I guess some guys could look cool with longsome hair

there ARE always exceptions

then again.. wouldn't having a full beard be a perfect nesting ground for microbial as well as non microbial critters and such?

if u have parental inclinations to house such sentient life forms, growing a nice tuft of fluffy beard could be someone's house

Date: October 10, 2009 06:50AM

cuz i say so

Date: October 16, 2009 05:11PM

I think we're just a product of our environment. We learn from the society we live in, that's why in other conutries even they find things "appealing" that we do not. . . Just how we're brought up.

Date: October 23, 2009 05:36AM

i agree with you to a point monkey but even though i grew up in a culture of barbie ideals i still find the look of a shaven armpit on a woman absolutely repulsive. that is UGLY flesh, there is no way i'm taking off my beautiful, sexy armpit hair. trim, yes. shave, NO! i think that legs and bikini bare of hair look good, don't get me wrong, and i like a shapely brow too but the armpit? i don't care what my sisters are doing, i like that fuzz.

as for the misters, i can't say that i don't like the Look of stubble because i do, of course. it speaks to me of bad boy and in that i delight (perhaps i'm saying too much here... quel dommage!) but i know what it feels like on the face after some smootching and it's even worse elsewhere so... thanks to all the fellas that go on dates clean shaven. it says you're ready to get closer and if that's what you want that sure is the language you should be speaking!
besides, goatees are dated, beards are for old farts and moustaches for policemen and gay guys (ok, that IS a cultural steriotype for me but oh well). i just don't like hair on a man's face. but i also don't like a totally naked body on a dude, hair is a sign of sexual maturity and a grown up man should have some here and there. a woman too for that matter and a "landing strip" just isn't enough IMHO. there is an obssession with youth in this culture but i'm not sure it's healthy for that to extend too far into the bedroom. bald is not neccessarily beautiful if you kwim. unless we're talking Jean Luc Picard here... ha ha ha

Date: October 23, 2009 06:38AM

wow coco

that is like the most detailllllled info. concerning hair etiquette and aesthetics

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: October 23, 2009 05:38PM

Eaglefly said

'I think in the USA the best way to go is clean shaven,especially on a date or job interview.
Other cultures the ape look might be acceptable. '

This is breathtakingly rude - I couldn't believe my eyes. Shocking.

Date: October 23, 2009 06:47PM

a bit off hand and perhaps not very well thought out but taken from this source i'm pretty sure any offense was totally unintentional. there is no edit function after a few minutes here, a shame since i sometimes type with half my mind elsewhere and stream of consciously type up what should have been only an extremely rough draft of what i mean to say...

Date: October 23, 2009 07:01PM

Certainly didnt mean anything by it.

Vinny

Date: October 26, 2009 12:05AM

flipperjan:

i don't understand what is so "breathtakingly rude"

why would you take offense?

is it because you sport a beard or mustache?

so what ? if you do or you don't?

that is THEIR opinion and i see nothing wrong with it whatsoever

you are the one that has negative beliefs or whatever concerning "apes"

maybe some people think that apes are adorable or cute so they would never take offense

you obviously think the opposite of these creatures

and thus think that the opinion was rude

it was just an opinion

and everyone is entitled to one

i call a friend of mine who sports a very sexy looking beard " grizzly bear"

he loves it

if he thought badly of grizzly bears he would have taken offense

but that would not have been my problem whatsoever

i know one guy who refers to himself as " a big teddy bear"

and everyone else calls him "teddy bear" as well

another person i know refers to himself as " koala bear"

no one thinks these terms are offensive

if you think " ape" is offensive

this is probably because YOU are offended by apes

i think the ape look can be cute on the right guy

i know for a fact that if i called the guy who i referred to as "grizzly bear"

an "ape", he would not take the least offense

he would probably smile

that's just they kind of guy he is

intelligent with a great sense of humor

and he knows that my intentions are good

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2009 12:06AM by la_veronique.

Date: October 26, 2009 04:24AM

apes are wonderful

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: November 22, 2009 06:55AM

I think its all cultural perception. I think a woman in heels, shaved legs and panty hose looks alright, and often more appealing than other ways of looking. Although heels are VERY bad for posture. Shaved legs and panty hose is not natural.

Sikh culture holds uncut hair as a sort of ideal. I have seen sikh men with beards down to their waist. I am sure that some sikhs have gone their entire life without cutting their hair even once.

The popularity of short hair for men, isn't that a reflection of the industrial age? Short hair so that it doesn't get caught in machines? Thus the connection of 'clean cut' with good things in the western mind.

It is interesting that many spiritual people are depicted with long hair. I have never seen a picture of jesus without long hair. The historical buddha is usually depicted with a topknot of hair. Many hindu saints are shown with long flowing hair.

Date: November 22, 2009 10:50AM

some guys look fantastic with a military buzz haircut

just my two cents

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: November 23, 2009 03:56AM

I guess I'm from another generation (sigh) - a time when many of us had the good fortune to perceive our natural selves as beautiful. I mean, really beautiful. We threw away hairspray, razors, girdles, briefs, and bras, and unashamedly let all the hair on our bodies grow.

Can't help it, but I still think my bearded, long-haired (a single braid down his back) husband is the most handsome, sexy, attractive man in the entire world! And those beautiful white streaks that his lovely beard has lately acquired shine like the moon.

For myself, I only recently began to shave my legs because I went back to school and have to look un-animal-like.

But really there's something very fun and timeless about two very clean furry vegan beings together under the same blanket. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2009 04:08AM by suncloud.

Date: November 25, 2009 11:04AM

hey suncloud

<<Can't help it, but I still think my bearded, long-haired (a single braid down his back) husband is the most handsome, sexy, attractive man in the entire world! And those beautiful white streaks that his lovely beard has lately acquired shine like the moon.>>

I'm sure all wives feel that their husband is the sexiest guy on the planet (smilesmiling smiley

yeaaahhhhh!!!

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: November 25, 2009 06:08PM

SuperInfinity Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Uncut hair is more natural isn't it? We're evolved
> to see hair that's full and grown all over.
Uncut hair doesn't look better because the person wearing
it isn't able to pull it off with the other body parts. I've seen
beautiful people with long hair, but it's not just the hair...it's
the total package....WY
P.S. Uncut doesn't mean Unkempt.

Date: November 27, 2009 09:00PM

LaV,

Well, yes. You have a point there. It's definitely true in my case.

I guess it comes down to that old saying: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." I like that.

So then, giving it a little thought, maybe if we love everyone enough, then everyone is beautiful. (?)

Date: November 28, 2009 02:21AM

hey suncloud

i agree

maybe you ought to change your name to

sunray

Date: November 28, 2009 05:01AM

Well, thank you LaV. smiling smiley

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables