Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Who here does micro greens ?
Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: December 21, 2009 07:53AM

Hey all. Just thought I'd ask, I'm quite curious ?

I only just discovered them a few months ago and have been developing my systems to grow them ever since. I can't rate them highly enough BTW, they are easy to grow, highly nutritious, independently create half a salad, taste great, and cut down your food bill.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who here does micro greens ?
Date: December 21, 2009 07:55AM

Oh... and they are a good step toward self sufficiency !

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 21, 2009 01:25PM

Lightform,

What do you grow and how? I have bought micro greens in the past, but they struck me as too frou frou and cost prohibitive to keep buying, so I'd love to try growing my own.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: December 21, 2009 02:13PM

This doesnt at all relate to those green powders you can buy,does it?

Vinny

Date: December 21, 2009 04:35PM

Ok.. for those that are new to it, you get a seed such as peas, sunflower, lentil, buckwheat, alfalfa, brocoli etc.. etc.. You soak it over night or for the required time to sprout, then insted of leaving it in a jar you sprinkle onto a tray of soil ( preferably mineral enriched ).

Then you water it once a day until greens fill the tray to about 4 "s long. Snip it all off with a pair of scissors, and chop it straight into your salad bowl. Fantastic !! grinning smiley

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: December 21, 2009 08:07PM

Oh cool.
So you are going for the green leafy part instead of the bean itself.

Vinny

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 21, 2009 08:16PM

OK, so, it's stuff like sunflower greens, buckwheat tops, pea shoots, etc.? The micro greens that I was buying were the very youngest shoots of lettuces, plus some brassicas. But if it's the grass stage of common sprout seeds, now I know where to get the supplies. Thanks : )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2009 08:17PM by Tamukha.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 22, 2009 02:36PM

i used to eat and juice these by the bag full when i worked at the sprout farm. i miss them a bunch but can't be bothered to fool with trays of soil and lights and such in my small kitchen. maybe when it warms up some and i can keep them on the porch, it's icy out there right now! i love wiggly giggly sunflower seed sprouts, they are the best!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables