Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

New knife set...okay, but...
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: January 01, 2010 02:04PM

We needed a new knife set, so did a bit of research, read some reviews on said knife set & made the purchase.

[www.amazon.com]

They arrived a few days ago. They are good, but not great. Kinda sharp, but not razor sharp like I was expecting a new knife set to be.

I have a couple of Gerber serrated hunting knives that put these things to shame. They have an incredible edge that will slice a tomato beautifully. Of course, I paid almost $45.00 for just one of those years ago

I know, these aren't the most expensive/highest quality ones I could have purchased, but on the other side of Christmas, about all we could afford for right now.

Just wanted to make a post about it...if a company such as "Ginsu" (made in China) :-(

is going to stamp their name on something, better make sure they put an edge on them first...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New knife set...okay, but...
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 01, 2010 05:19PM

send em back if you are not happy smiling smiley everytime you use them you wil be concerned about the edge and dull knives are dangerous knives smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 01, 2010 05:25PM

jk,

Howdy! Ginsu ain't what they used to be. Stainless steel does not keep an edge as well as high carbon stainless, which these do not appear to be. I would advise to sharpen them often and to hone them on a steel, and that should keep them working well. It's very difficult to get a dull, or less-than-sharp knife sharpened, so if I were you, I'd get down to sharpening them before I've put them through a lot of use, and to stay on it(depending on use, every two weeks or so). With a bit of work, and I know you shouldn't have to this as you already paid for a "good" knife set, you can probably get them up to snuff.

Good brands are Wusthoff and Henckels; they're professional grade, so expensive, also. But I know chefs who have owned their professional knives for decades, and they are still razor sharp, provided they've been well cared for. On the other hand, you can go to a kitchen supply store and pick up something professional grade, with maybe a cheaper handle or a shorter blade, or made of ceramic, for a fraction of the cost of a top brand knife, so . . . . This set has a lot of pieces, so I'm sure it'll be useful. Chin up.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: January 01, 2010 10:48PM

Katz....Here's my favorite knife. I use it everyday.
It has a great 'feel'. The Hollow Edge keeps the Carrot tops
and tails from sticking. It was worth every penny....WY

[www.cutleryandmore.com]

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: January 01, 2010 11:12PM

>Gulp< grinning smiley

Sorry WY - Santa wasn't THAT generous to me this year, lol...

I would love to have that knife. Actually my Gerber Gator 650 hunting knife, 3 1/2" blade cuts very well as I mentioned, but the blade is only serrated for 2" back near the handle, & I would like a fully serrated blade.

I have used it for years & it still cuts very well, sharpens nice, holds an edge well.

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Katz....Here's my favorite knife. I use it
> everyday.
> It has a great 'feel'. The Hollow Edge keeps the
> Carrot tops
> and tails from sticking. It was worth every
> penny....WY
>
> [www.cutleryandmore.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables