Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Wood Oh solid and supreme
Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: November 12, 2009 02:49AM

Just thought I'd start a thread for all you wood and timber enthusiasts out there. I thought we might need one after reading some comments about it in another thread winking smiley.

I LOVE wood !

From its untouched life supporting origins, through to its crafted forms of artistry and function, timber is devine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wood Oh solid and supreme
Date: November 12, 2009 03:27AM

In another thread
la_veronique Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i must admit that i also deeply resonate with the
> japanese architectural style as well
>
> both the shaker and japanese style architecture
> have a very profound albeit austere beauty
>
> they allow the silence to take center stage
>
> the space in between to have great meaning

Japanese style furniture and culture appeals to me very much as well, and although I love the emphasis of stillness in its own sacred place, I think that there is definately a place for the more flamboyant also. The flair and artistry displayed in these cabinets inspires me immensely !

[rarevictorian.com]

[www.juliaauctions.com]

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: November 13, 2009 12:18AM

Off topic but still is about wood sort of..you can make your own activated charcoal by burning hardwood..and those pallets would contain untreated raw wood and so you can use those! I thought that was cool that one could make their own supplements of charcoal to use.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: November 13, 2009 03:11AM

Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!
I could not imagine life without wood.
I have been creating things with it since being 6.
It is truely a gift from God.

Vinny

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 13, 2009 03:15AM

i have totally been into researching bamboo lately , there is a bamboo farm here that grows 70ft bamboos 6-9inches in diameter , i am thinking of getting into growing bamboo and making stuff with it smiling smiley dont know why but it just resonates with me ... i love bamboo !! =D

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: November 13, 2009 05:06AM

heres a link to some cool bamboo pics i love the carvings ones smiling smiley

[bambooworld.com]

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: November 13, 2009 11:58AM

jodie,

Technically, Bamboo is a grass...although it is classified as a "woody plant" because of its structure.

I'm just sayin', lol XD

I like it too! We were, & still are considering using it in our kitchen remodel project. Haven't decided which way to go yet.

Date: November 13, 2009 10:54PM

I wonder if you can use and or retain the green/blue color in bamboo for flooring, and even on walls? I would love that color for floors.

Love,
Prism

Date: November 14, 2009 01:28AM

Speaking of wood,I got the stain applied to my table top today....

Vinny

Date: November 14, 2009 01:29AM

good question prism , id love that too smiling smiley

very cool Vinny ! i love how the stain brings out the grain smiling smiley

Date: November 14, 2009 02:08AM

Looks very nice Vinny. How many coats do you usually do? What did you do for a kitchen table before you built one?

I am thinking for a name for my art space..painted furniture space..reseller of whatever I get space. A friend mentioned Art Etc... I like that.

Love,
Prism

Date: November 14, 2009 04:32AM

Prism,
That is a catchy name. I like it.

I used an old formica and chrome table from the 50's.I surely like this one better.
I do two coats,with a water based poly on top.

Vinny

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 14, 2009 11:20PM

Nice looking table, Vinny : )

Alas, I am going off bamboo. I love th natural stalks; I refer to that used for remodeling. I did not realize how much old growth rainforest is being mown down to make way for bamboo plantations. These forests are the primary habitat of orangutan, and the animals are dealt with abominably during removal! I can't be a party to that, so I am still trying to source an absolutely "kosher" source of bamboo. [sigh]It's always something . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2009 11:24PM by Tamukha.

Date: November 14, 2009 11:36PM

I wonder if you can find a bamboo farm where they plant the bamboo, harvest from that and keep replanting.

You would think that companies (it's the big companies that are the culprits many of the times) would understand that preserving and replanting, and not clear cutting is what would keep them in business longer.

Maybe look for green living, or sustaining forest thru bamboo or keywords will help with search.

One could grow their own bamboo..it's a fast grower, harvest and have someone that is in lumber business cut it for floors. You could even custom design a very cool pattern and have a unique floor plan of your very own!

Love,
Prism

Date: November 15, 2009 08:53AM

for sure there are Prism, the bambooworld up by my place is an ongoing sustainable farmed bamboo farm .. walking through their giant bamboo that i mentioned earlier is like feeling like an ant walking thru jurassic grass tongue sticking out smiley its really a wild feeling lol

a bamboo plant gets as tall and as large in circumferance as it will be in maturity in the first few months ... so a giant bamboo will grow 75-100 feet in a 3 or 4 months but wont be ready for harvest for 3-4 years .. in the meantime its constantly (every growth spurt season once a year) sending up new shoots , so its really an ongoing process if you manage a stand right smiling smiley

i just love bamboo tongue sticking out smiley next to hemp its like the crazy miracle plant of the planet so many uses ! (wonder when the usa is gonna make IT illegal hahahah )

just kidding winking smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: November 22, 2009 10:33AM

Hey Vinny,

Here are my super duper nosy questions again. HOpe you like them HA HA!

1) What kind of pretty red flowers are those on the right? Are they some sort of miniature rose? Are they real?

2)Is that a JUICEMAN juicer that i see calmly and regally perched on the table in all its neutral glory?

LOLsmiling smiley

You know, i like bugging you about all the little knick knacks in your photos.

Don't know why..

must be some past life thing i'm working through ( god knows what else it could possibly be)

Hey Lightform,

Will be checking out those victorian photos too.
they can't be as solid and supreme however as the japanese architure... hrrrrumppph!... hey... i got my favorites.. ya know?

Date: November 22, 2009 10:34AM

architure

yeop

architure

yes

Date: November 22, 2009 10:47AM

oh hey lightform

what's with all that symbolism on that victorian wood piece

what .. with the omniscient looking cherubim and the gazelle ( or something like that ) deer like looking figure

and the roiled up coiled up grape leaves and vines

i know it must mean SOMEthing

but i can't figure it out

like i said... i like the super simple.. no frills japanese architure better because it makes me forget

i like the sliding rice doors

the plain simple space inside

the low laying everything

though sometimes it seems like it is so fragile

Date: November 23, 2009 01:55PM

Lav,
I am going to have to be careful of the pics I post on here,as the FBI is looking for me.smiling smileysmiling smiley
Anyway,that IS a juiceman juicer and I really like it.
The flowers are silk.

Vinny

Date: November 25, 2009 11:19AM

eaglefly:

<<I am going to have to be careful of the pics I post on here,as the FBI is looking for me.smiling smileysmiling smiley >>

Et tu Brutus?

Hah! FBI are always interested in people who have a markedly different paradigm. Don't give away your secret juice recipes though.

jay kordich rawkss! those machine do REALLY well for broccoli celery, carrots and beets.

i got both a centrifugal and a double auger

one is for the above mentioned items and the other is for the soft leafy items

hey.. silk flowers are better than NO flowers, i supposed LOLsmiling smiley

Date: November 25, 2009 02:38PM

Lav,
Did you get the cassette tape of Jay talking when you got your juicer?
I listen to it,and how he gets you real motivated by explaining all the things the raw elements do for your body cells.
My juiceman works so good the mere weight of a carrot is enough to feed it into the chute.

Back to the thread topic....wood!
Wood Rawks!

Vinny

Date: November 26, 2009 04:01AM

Indeed... but it's always interesting seeing where a thread goes smiling smiley

I don't have any wood stories at present, except maybe that I have a log sitting at my place which I intend to carve one day. It must weigh about 2 ton or so and had to be brought up to my place via bulldozer... soo much potential grinning smiley

The 10 year plan !

Date: November 28, 2009 02:25AM

hey eaglefly

i don't have a juiceman
but i did have one a while back
i didn't get the cassette thing ( did i get ripped off or something? grinning smiley

but i had a friend who got them ( never knew they came with her juicer.. she juiced too)
i think she actually had a BUNCH of jay's cassette tapes

and she and her husband would listen to them like people listen to a captivating minister at a mesmerizing church

no wonder she juiced religiously

juice religion

me likessmiling smiley

Date: November 28, 2009 02:26AM

hey LIGHTFORM

u got a big ole piece of wood
BULLDOZED to your place, huh?

wowww

what was the original intent?
was it for firewood or something?

does it get cold there in new zealand?

i know.. crazy question but i've never been there and all i know is that is where i get my beautiful yummy kiwis

that's about ALL i know about new zealand

and plus it looks like a gorgeous place to live what.. with all the incredible photos

Date: November 29, 2009 01:33AM

Mmm... I gotta say I'm happy here. N.Z is subtropical in the top of the Nth island and temperate in the rest of it. Hot and sunny most of the year with cold dry winters in the top of the Sth island, going down to cooler climes in the middle and bloody cold winters from there on down.

Yeah its a nice chunk of wood for sure, nah I actually scored it off a neighbour who was cutting down and old macrcarpa tree for the purposes of carving it. I had another neighbour building a house at the time, so I bribed the buldozer driver who was doing a job for them to scoot over the road for me for a dozen bear.

I'll try and get my camera working soon and get a pic of it for you... I've been giving it some thought lately. I've got dreams of carving a big Pan statue or something. Its got soo much potential smiling smiley.

Date: November 30, 2009 01:30PM

hey what's a macrarpa tree

i don't wanna look it up
i'd rather dream imagine and pretend i know what it is
by the name of it
or just listen to you describe it

also you gave him twelve BEARS? ...like grizzly or black bears?

for some wood?

WOWZEERRSS!!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 30, 2009 02:01PM

Maybe "bears" are the New Zealand currency?

Please post a photo of your big ol' tree stump, Lightform. A pan statue sounds terrifying, but I guess it depends on how it's executed : )

Date: November 30, 2009 06:59PM

beers smiling smiley not bears lol

i think Pan would be a wonderful statue, mind you I used to be a goatherd so I am partial to Pan winking smiley

Date: December 01, 2009 05:50AM

check out the pool tables at this link .. amazing and so beautiful smiling smiley

[www.bearcreekbilliards.com]

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: December 01, 2009 06:52AM

Kia Ora, Lightform! I'm in Whakatane. Where are you?

Jodi, those pool tables are incredible.

la_veronique, I'll let you keep wondering about macrocarpas, but here are two photos of pohutukawa trees, which are indigenous to New Zealand and in bloom right now. The first image is looking down on Otarawairere Beach where I walked this morning on a hiking track from town back to my house. The other photo is looking over a tree to Ohope Beach which is also on the walking track. Pohutukawa trees are stunning in bloom.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables