Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Why do people confuse religion and spirituality?
Posted by: Omega ()
Date: January 24, 2010 02:21AM

From my perspective, it's clear that religion is a form of spirituality, but spirituality is not a form of religion.

Why do people confuse the two? I am asking this sincerely.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do people confuse religion and spirituality?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 24, 2010 03:23AM

To be honest, I still don't really understand the word "spirituality". Does it imply some realm beyond the natural world?

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: January 24, 2010 05:25AM

Communitybuilder,
Some do consider spirituality having something to do with other realms. I tend to think of spirituality as being emotionally, and physically healthy. My partner is amazingly spiritual and he is more atheist than anything else.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: January 24, 2010 12:27PM

Sure, spirituality has to do with spirit, which can be most any abstract
thought or action, like love and the act of love.

Religion is what binds people together, a system that can be shared with
another and may or may not include spirituality.

There's overlap between the two. A spiritual person might be so religously. A
religous person may or may not be a mystic. It's confusing for me also.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: January 24, 2010 03:12PM

IMO the two are different things.
Religion to me is an organized system to worship a savior.
Spirituality to me is ones own inner knowing of something greater,something only wanting good,and something that can be worshipped in ones own unique way.

Vinny

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 24, 2010 04:53PM

To me, religion is metaphysics within an institutionalized framework of dogma, doctrine, etc. Spirituality is metaphysics that is non-institutionalized. That is, it is not practiced within a framework, it is a framework--a frame of mind. Religion and spirituality can and do overlap, but directionally more religion----->spirituality than spirituality----->religion, IMO.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 25, 2010 01:29AM

Actually, it's all semantics. Spirituality is kind of a catch-all, nebulous term while organized religion means that it's a particular organization. However, someone who is Wiccan would probably be labeled as into spirituality rather than religion simply because it's not considered a "mainstream" religion. At least that's my two cents!

Date: January 25, 2010 02:15AM

Eaglefly,
"Religion to me is an organized system to worship a savior."

Hinduism is a major world religion, and some consider it to not have much organization, and perhaps only Hare Krishna can be considered a savior. Buddhism is a religion to some philosophy to others. It doesn't really worship the buddha. Paganism is definately a religion, but that is very broad, some may have a savior, some branches do not. Believe it or not, christian fundementalists have labled atheism and evolution as a religion. Some consider the state government of N. Korea to be a religion, a cult centering around Kim Jong Il.

Posted by: teloking ()
Date: January 25, 2010 02:37AM

I agree that religion is all about someone and something outside the body - worshiping idols - whereas spiritulity comes from within us, connecting with our higher selves.

Wheatgrass-it does this body good!

Date: January 25, 2010 05:28AM

I tend to think of spirituality as being emotionally, and physically healthy. My partner is amazingly spiritual and he is more atheist than anything else.
Yeah, it seems that often spiritual doubles as mental/emotional. Like when people talk about "spiritual health" they seem to be talking about mental health.

Date: January 26, 2010 01:10AM

Mislu: the spirit is that which is beyond the body and worldly mind. The body is dying, decaying...even the most ardent eaters of 'good food' must come to terms with their mortality. And emotions change like the wind. The spiritual is supposed to transcend the five senses and the material world.

Date: January 26, 2010 03:34AM

Banana Who,
There are many possible meanings for the term 'Spirit'. 5b is very interesting, as it can refer to the living food boards. "The essential nature of a... group."
The first definition can be taken more than one way. "The vital principle or animating force within living beings." Its not specifically 'Incorporeal consciousness'.

In reading "conscious eating" by Gabriel Cousens, the essene scriptures seem more practical, and almost 'mundane' rather than otherworldly. And the essene faith is grounded in the Judaeo–Christian tradition, but it is uniquely different from how most people understand it. I don't quite understand it, but that seemed more real and practical to me than what I was raised with. Keep in mind that I am not very well versed with the Essene tradition. I got the sense that the 'vital principle' cannot be separated from the physical.

My atheist partner is way open to a lot of things, but usually he is more inclined to find physical explanations for events which seem like miracles. And also unlikely events are not necessarily supernatural. I seem to have more tendency to view things as such. Sometimes it seems he is purposely trying to kill the moment or the fascination, but over the years I have accepted that his view is very practical, grounding and healthy. There might be supernatural things or events, but one has to be careful about if there was one, and what it means. I think he is also open to other planes of existence, and attune to the mystery of existence. Amazingly enough I find the atheist sense of spirituality has a lot of depth. Its not 'dead pan' as a lot of religionists are tempted to describe it as.

[www.thefreedictionary.com]
The vital principle or animating force within living beings.
b. Incorporeal consciousness.
2. The soul, considered as departing from the body of a person at death.
3. Spirit The Holy Spirit.
4. A supernatural being, as:
a. An angel or a demon.
b. A being inhabiting or embodying a particular place, object, or natural phenomenon.
c. A fairy or sprite.
a. The part of a human associated with the mind, will, and feelings: Though unable to join us today, they are with us in spirit.
b. The essential nature of a person or group.
6. A person as characterized by a stated quality: He is a proud spirit.
a. An inclination or tendency of a specified kind: Her actions show a generous spirit.
b. A causative, activating, or essential principle: The couple's engagement was announced in a joyous spirit.
8. spirits A mood or an emotional state: The guests were in high spirits. His sour spirits put a damper on the gathering.
9. A particular mood or an emotional state characterized by vigor and animation: sang with spirit.
10. Strong loyalty or dedication: team spirit.
11. The predominant mood of an occasion or a period: "The spirit of 1776 is not dead" (Thomas Jefferson).
12. The actual though unstated sense or significance of something: the spirit of the law.
13. An alcohol solution of an essential or volatile substance. Often used in the plural with a singular verb.
14. spirits An alcoholic beverage, especially distilled liquor.
tr.v. spir·it·ed, spir·it·ing, spir·its
1. To carry off mysteriously or secretly: The documents had been spirited away.
2. To impart courage, animation, or determination to; inspirit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2010 03:43AM by Mislu.

Date: January 26, 2010 01:12PM

Thanks for everyone's input.

To me, the idea that discussing Genesis 1:29 within the context of a raw vegan diet is somehow "religious" is absurd.

Date: January 26, 2010 02:40PM

Omega,

What? Genesis 1:29 is a direct quote from a deity, found in a religious book. It is religious. What I don't get is why it's upsetting to people. I don't believe in the God of Genesis, but it doesn't bother me to discuss the verse in reference to raw foodism. Especially if the import is, "Questions for Discussion: what does Genesis 1:29 suggest about the beliefs about diet and lifestyle of the ancient Jews?"

Date: January 26, 2010 02:58PM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Omega,
>
> What? Genesis 1:29 is a direct quote from a
> deity, found in a religious book. It is
> religious. What I don't get is why it's upsetting
> to people. I don't believe in the God of Genesis,
> but it doesn't bother me to discuss the verse in
> reference to raw foodism. Especially if the
> import is, "Questions for Discussion: what does
> Genesis 1:29 suggest about the beliefs about diet
> and lifestyle of the ancient Jews?"

Hi Tamukha,

I guess what I meant was, that if Genesis 1:29 inspires me and I wish to discuss it in relationship to a raw vegan diet, that doing so does not mean that I'm promoting religion (as I'm not religious, and therefore have no religion to promote).

But yes, you are correct that Gen 1:29 comes from a religious book.

Thanks for your input.

Date: January 26, 2010 03:18PM

Omega,

Ah, now I get it. Okey-dokey : )

Date: January 26, 2010 04:08PM

Omega Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for everyone's input.
>
> To me, the idea that discussing Genesis 1:29
> within the context of a raw vegan diet is somehow
> "religious" is absurd.

Haha, imagining that talking about the Bible isn't religious is absurd.

Date: January 27, 2010 02:09AM

Mislu: LOL, I have Gabriel Cousen's "Spiritual Nutrition" (I think that's the title) and "The Essene Gospel of Peace." In your various examples for the word 'spirit,' there was one which mentioned the mind, thoughts, etc. As I see it, that refers to CONSCIOUSNESS, versus synapses firing from a physical brain. And according to those who believe in the existence of the soul, our consciousness survives death, which also is evident when one has a near death experience. But it's the etheric version of the mind or brain, just like the chakra system describes the etheric organs/energy centers which exist alongside the physical ones. I see your partner as perhaps a humanist, in that he believes in the wonderful qualities which exist in man. I have no problem with that, but for me it's not enough. I know that my earthly life is temporary and I just cannot see my consciousness as coming to an end. It's not out of fear that I think this way; it's logical to me. And ironically, I think that some people who are turned off by "woo woo" stuff feel that it is illogical and therefore dangerous. But I would never follow any sect and lose my critical thinking skills. I have discernment, for sure!

Date: January 27, 2010 03:59AM

Banana who,
LOL? why? A mother of a friend had a 'near death' experience, actually she was technically dead for a very short period of time in the hospital. I asked him what she experienced. He started to laugh, he said it was just a blank, he wanted to know why I would have thought anything would happen other than that. Hes a buddhist too! I was really quite surprised at the time that a buddhist wouldn't think of anything supernatural in this experience.

I want to believe in the existence of the soul, but I don't think there can be any defining proof which will convince everyone. Some translations of the bible actually use the word 'life' in place of the word 'soul'. There is also the connection between breath, life and soul, actually thats pretty common to a number of traditions. That somehow seems more fitting to me. Why isn't this enough for you? Why does there have to be anything more? Life is actually pretty amazing without it, and in many ways actually more precious.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables