Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Vancouver
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: February 20, 2010 12:59PM

The ladies skate is the highlight of the Winter Olympics for me. Sarah Hughs was sweet in Salt Lake City, Shizuka Arakawa in Turin. Kim, Ando, Rochette in Vancouver... should be exciting.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vancouver
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 20, 2010 03:50PM

My favorite event is ski jump, by about 5 thousand miles, and then downhill skiing. I don't tend to watch ice skating anymore, after a childhood Olympics, or maybe World's incident, in which grandma and I sat staring in horror at the TV as a young woman's leg was cut open with her opposite skate during a spin. Or maybe it was pairs, and her partner accidentally got hooked on her. I don't recall exactly, but I do recall that I then started to notice how unpredictably, unexpectedly dangerous figure skating is; that horrible THUNK of bone on ice when a jump or throw goes wrong . . . I just can't stand it!

I really respect the talent and skill involved in skating, though. Hope you really enjoy it, loeve, and may the best gal win!

Date: February 20, 2010 05:41PM

Ski Jumping is cool too and I've always enjoyed seeing them fly through the air. Of the new jumping events I like the halfpipe the best, Torah Bright of Australia super in her win this year. Some Norwegians are taking the sport to new heights and adding some twists--

[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 20, 2010 06:46PM

In ski jumping the landing is so graceful, the Telemark landing. This new freestyle event, the Aerial, is a little scary, the jumpers reaching about four stories doing 3 or 4 flips and twists then plunging back to the slope with great force.. courageous but punishing. I don't know how they do it.

Date: February 20, 2010 11:18PM

I watched the aerials today and was just astonished at how they keep pushing the artistic requirements--how do you even begin to develop something like that without ending up in the hospital? And a couple of those kids are teens! Just amazing!

Date: February 25, 2010 12:58PM

"how do you even begin to develop something like that without ending up in the hospital?"

One of the competitors recovered from two broken feet and torn ligaments to compete, and is just a young lady...

The ladies skate long program is tonight! It's Kim, Asada, Rochette and Ando going into it. I'm so proud of Mao Asada for a stunning performance in the short, and of Rochette for pulling through, all the skaters really, so well prepared for this event.

Date: February 25, 2010 03:56PM

It's gonna be a tight call for the judges. That poor Joannie girl broke my heart; I confess to wanting her to excel for her quality of character alone.

A lot seems to be going wrong at these Olympics; a local sports writer referred to them as the "Glitch Games." What with the speedskating mistakes and then the otherwise phenomenal Lyndsey Vonn and Bode Miller having stupid crashes on the slopes and the bobsledders inexplicably slowing near the end of the track--Yikes!

Ladies figure skating appears to be a civil contest of skills thus far. Hope it concludes marvelously : )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2010 03:57PM by Tamukha.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: February 28, 2010 06:41PM

That Sarah Hughs was amazing in 02.
I have her Gold Medal winning routeen on tape and look at it now and then.

Vinny

Date: March 02, 2010 11:13AM

I remember Sarah Hughs in '02 skating a clean routine in a pretty blue dress and with few expectations, and then her backstage reaction with her coach when they announced she had won! In retrospect they showed a home movie of her as a focused little girl saying, "I want to go to the Olympics and win a gold medal".

Joannie Rochette will be the face of the Vancouver games for me for her grace and courage. I'll also remember the anticipation leading up to Canada's first Gold medal at these games and the flood of them that followed, and then at the closing ceremonies, actor Michael J. Fox's speech where he told everyone in attendance they were now all Canadians.

Date: March 02, 2010 03:50PM

loeve,

Yeah, Michael J. Fox's speech was so touching--I felt so proud to be a Canadian ; )

I am kinda apprehensive about the Sochi Olympics in 2014, as the Russians were not known for being good sports at these games(nor in general). Their portion of the closing ceremony struck me as slightly, um, imperialist? Like those scenes with Viktor Krum in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I do hope I am being silly, because I loooooove the Winter Games and want them to be magical. In a good way!

Date: March 13, 2010 04:19PM

Anyone watching the opening ceremonies of the Vancouver games might remember the tragic accident earlier in the day when Georgian luger, Nodar Kumaritashvili was killed in a crash on the track. Well, the International Luge Federation, responsible for the design and running of the event, has stepped up and is helping the Kumaritashvili family rebuild their home which was partially destroyed by fire years ago. When the Sochi Olympics take place four years from now I look forward to a revisit of the story, the country of Georgia just south of Sochi and maybe destined to be source of closure.

[uk.eurosport.yahoo.com]

Date: March 14, 2010 01:35AM

That's good news.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables