Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Do you believe that? Tomato ? Potato?
Posted by: cy ()
Date: March 31, 2010 11:43PM

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2010 11:44PM by cy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do you believe that? Tomato ? Potato?
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: April 01, 2010 12:43AM

Insane -

Now you know why Rush calls them "Schrools" sad smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 01, 2010 08:00PM

jk,

Uh,"Schrools"? I don't get it . . .

And children should know basic fruit and vegetable names before grade school. At least that was my experience as a former preschool teacher. And former preschooler, for that matter. How widespread is our ignorance? Distressing.

Date: April 01, 2010 11:02PM

One of Rush's fav. terms - Schrools...

All has to do with the "dumbing down" of America. Meaning kids are taught "social issues", such as why little Billy has two daddy's and why it's okay, but when it comes to just plain old common sense, the school system is sorely lacking in it's approach.

There's more to it than that, but that is a loose interpretation of the word...
Yeah, I can understand the kiddos maybe not knowing a collard green or fennel...

But a tomato or potato???? I wonder what they would say if you told them that's where french fries come from, lol...

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> jk,
>
> Uh,"Schrools"? I don't get it . . .
>
> And children should know basic fruit and vegetable
> names before grade school. At least that was my
> experience as a former preschool teacher. And
> former preschooler, for that matter. How
> widespread is our ignorance? Distressing.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 01, 2010 11:36PM

My aunt participated in a school program one time where a little girl from the states came and stayed at her house with her and her daughter for a week. Sort of an inner city kid checking out the countryside kind of thing. She'd never eaten a tomato, never even seen one before. Lots of other things too. Like she'd never seen the stars at night or slept outside in a tent or had marshmallows roasted over a fire, etc etc etc. Pretty common where she came from apparently.

I think it's easy for forget how privileged we are.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 02, 2010 05:22AM

schrools .. like screwls .. like screwed .... like basically basic education in north america smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: April 02, 2010 06:30AM

How much responsibility do schools have when the children are six?

I ask where the parents have been with these children. Do they ever have their children help to prepare a meal using fresh fruits and vegetables?

I watched another school video with Jamie where he held up fast food packages (like a Domino pizza box) and ALL of the children were EAGER to name it. Do schools deserve blame for six year olds not knowing what tomatoes or deserve credit for children identifying fast food containers?

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: April 02, 2010 03:16PM

Hulu seems to be rebroadcasting the series. The first episodes:

Episode 1

Episode 2

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 02, 2010 04:47PM

Episode 2 airs tonight on ABC--dare I watch? We'll see . . .

Date: April 07, 2010 11:34PM

I am enjoying this series, although I do not agree with everything that Jamie Oliver talks about, I think he may have a positive impact on the school system. We shall see.....
smiling smiley Deb

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 07, 2010 11:39PM

i dont agree with everything either but like that he makes people aware where their food comes from that it doesnt just come from styrofoam containers or brown paper packages smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: April 16, 2010 10:37PM

lol...

When my dad was in his elder years, he came up to my mom one day & said -

Hey, you won't believe this - Pudding comes in cans now. We all got a chuckle out of it. grinning smiley

Jgunn Wrote:
> i dont agree with everything either but like that
> he makes people aware where their food comes from
> that it doesnt just come from styrofoam containers
> or brown paper packages smiling smiley

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: May 16, 2010 03:03PM

ah, I personally believe that education is primarily the responsibility of the parent, and the school system should be there to help educate the child, unfortunately most parents arent willing to take that active of a roll, and the education system is set up just to teach you the few "facts" they want you to know, and the way they want yo uto think, rather than teaching kids how to learn for themselves, how to form their own opinions, in many cases destroying most of their creativity... its kinda sad...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: May 16, 2010 05:33PM

I don't know, the more I teach my kid to question things and make up his own mind, the harder of a time he has as school. Not just with the teachers either, it's the other kids now too. They can tell he's different and even though he is a smart, funny, friendly little person, some of them are awful to him. Sure, he's smarter than the average bear but it costs him too.

But I'm teaching him what I know. Other parents do that too, it's unavoidable. We all know different things and sadly what many people know... isn't very much.

Date: May 16, 2010 07:41PM

coco Wrote:
> I don't know, the more I teach my kid to question
> things and make up his own mind, the harder of a
> time he has as school. Not just with the teachers
> either, it's the other kids now too. They can tell
> he's different and even though he is a smart,
> funny, friendly little person, some of them are
> awful to him. Sure, he's smarter than the average
> bear but it costs him too.
>
> But I'm teaching him what I know. Other parents do
> that too, it's unavoidable. We all know different
> things and sadly what many people know... isn't
> very much.

I hear you coco...

even with adults, it is the same sometimes. I have friends that I see occasionally, & they don't have a clue about my lifestyle. I choose not to even bother to tell them so's I don't have to deal with the fallout of "What, you don't eat BBQ/Ribs/Chicken..."

We always stick out like a sore thumb when around the "status quo", lol! Keep leading your little ones down the right path, sounds like they have an awesome mom!

Proverbs 22:6

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: May 17, 2010 01:00AM

yeah, teaching kids to question things wont get them far within mainstream society, but it will lead to them being able to be happier later on in life, our school system really doesn't work well for kids who question things, the more inquisitive and creative you are the more trouble you get in with most of your teachers, and the more the kids tend to give you crap... I had to deal with that allot in school, one time even got sent to the principal cause i argued with a teacher over the fact that something in one of our school books was wrong, I got in a bunch of trouble over it, then it turned out i was right, it was wrong,lol... but in the end it was all worth it, it felt sucky at the time, but it helped me mature and grow so much more quickly than I believe I would have otherwise, and I think as long as you are there for your son and love him and he knows it, he will be fine, and will be better off in the long run. *hugs*

(yeah, Im a huggy person, although in real life I feel out social situations a bit more thoroughly be4 giving hugs, but hey, its the interweb, your personal bubble is probably thousands of miles away from me...lol)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables