Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw paleo diet? ehk...
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: June 10, 2010 10:44AM

ya know, I like to say im pretty open minded about most things, but Ive just had some claims made by somebody on a raw paleo diet forum I just checked out, that are so confusing, to put it nicely, that I don't even have the energy to discuss it with them, so id like to discuss it with you here to see if im the only one that finds this...strange...

I was just told, that the fresh rib eye steak I ate at a friends bbq years ago, that turned out to be really rare, while everyone else's turned out closer to medium, that ended up getting me sick... did so because it was cooked, they claimed that if I had eaten it raw, whatever bacteria that was on there would have been completely safe for me to ingest... from that statement, I've realized, I have soooo much more in common with you guys/gals than I do with them... I wish there was a way I could go more raw, without it costing more, and not aggravate my condition... any ideas?lol.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw paleo diet? ehk...
Date: June 10, 2010 11:22AM

oh, and now Ive found that the same person, claims that mercury in fish is a myth...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 10, 2010 12:40PM

People will go to great lengths to support and defend what they want to be real.
I've seen it happen here too, people trying to pass off huge hair loss, weightloss, loss of menstruation etc (severe symptoms of malnutrition) as "detox".
Go with your gut (heh heh), if after careful examination something seems to be impossible, improbable or just plain ridiculous it usually is winking smiley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2010 12:40PM by coco.

Date: June 10, 2010 12:48PM

yeah, honestly, the idea of that kinda diet just kinda turns my stomach a little bit, I will give them that the raw meat sans bacterial infection or parasites is most likely much better for you than cooked...but I dunno, I can barely stomach it rare, although once in a blue moon I do get a craving... I still dont think I could do what they do...id rather take my chances that vegan raw wouldn't kill me, than do the straight Raw paleo diet... for now I think I'll stick with what I currently got going on till a better option I can afford presents itself... or my financial situation changes, so I can get a good juicer and build a better dehydrator... (I am seriously considering building a REFRIGERATED dehydrator!!! I wonder if its been done? *googles*)

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: June 10, 2010 02:18PM

Ewww.
I have tried the paleo diet,with all the meat,but it was cooked.
I couldnt imagine it being raw.

Vinny

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 10, 2010 04:08PM

Even sans bacteria that meat would just rot in your gut. We don't have the short digestive tract of a carnivore, ours is too long to accomodate foods that need a short transit time. Even fruit if eaten in a bad combo can ferment and cause trouble. Greens greens greens, that's what I think.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: June 10, 2010 06:28PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> We don't have the short digestive tract
> of a carnivore, ours is too long to accomodate
> foods that need a short transit time. Even fruit
> if eaten in a bad combo can ferment and cause
> trouble. Greens greens greens, that's what I
> think.

+1, coco

That is the reasoning stance that I take when conversing with "carnivores/omnivores", but I usually just get a blank stare when trying to talk to most folks. Since most are ruled by their taste buds, family tradition, etc....

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 10, 2010 07:52PM

I recently got into the wierdest argument with a paleo person commenting under raw vegan video postings on YouTube; why they are even watching these videos, I don't know. But there are a lot of meatists that do and try to pick fights. The last argument between us was taken to the PMs by him, and in none of them could he answer my rational objections to paleo eating(truthfully, it was mostly his irrational objections to plant eating that got my dander up, not having any basis in biology and all). Instead, he apparently ran out of patience with my considered rebuttals and degenerated into the most [pathetic]vicious paranoic verbal assault against me. And this after I'd mentioned how hysterical paleo people seem to become about vegetarians, like we're a secret army or something. Dumbledore's Army. Of Vegetarians. There is scant support for any of their postulates, and when your opponent's best evidence is Mr. Pottenger's cat experiment, well, you oughtn't to even attempt to reason with someone like that. It wastes your life force.

Date: June 10, 2010 08:13PM

exactly why I didnt argue with them once I realized how...uhm, irrational some of their claims where... I thought id have more in common with them at first because of having to eat meats to a certain extent..but it seems I really dont...

Date: June 11, 2010 01:26AM

Curator,

I have a hard time respecting some paleo people because of the sometimes absurd things they propose: how many times have I had to say, "I'm not Neanderthal, and you aren't either, dude"? If one is going to argue that people should be eating this or that, one can find legitimate ways to back up one's claims, surely. When someone has to go off into left field and then come back with some kind of hypothesis that has not been tested and sounds implausible, I have to suspect they are fundamentally insecure about their choice and need to "overpower" my plant-eater perspective to help their ego. And that's not a game I like to play. It seems strange to me how very few vegetarians I've met have been really aggressively pushing it. Where are these "militants" I have been hearing about for twenty years? Whereas, paleo people are very obvious about needing to dominate the idea sphere, stridently insisting that their way is the only way. They make the PETA people look coy. Well, I suppose some of them are nice . . .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2010 01:29AM by Tamukha.

Date: June 11, 2010 11:46AM

Ive run into allot of intolerant people from all walks of life, all religions (or lack there of) all dietary religions...yes, I call them religions,lol... basically all areas in which some one has a firmly held belief, Ive met people like what you describe... and as difficult as life can be when having to deal with so many of those kind of people, there is one quote that when I think about it, helps me feel in some ways, the opposite of what the quote seems to mean, helps me to appreciate their existence a little more... and I feel better now about the paleos now that im thinking about it...

"I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strangely, I am ungrateful to these teachers." -Kahlil Gibran

I guess where me and Mr. Gibran differ, is at least in moments where I'm able to be at peace, I AM grateful to those who have helped me to learn...

Date: June 11, 2010 03:21PM

Ah, Kahlil Gibran--he always puts things into perspective. Thanks : )

Date: June 11, 2010 04:42PM

gotta love 'em

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables