Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Ashitaba?
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: July 05, 2010 09:49AM

Ashitaba (Angelica keiskei koidzumi), Anybody know much about its purported health benefits? Ive been told its rather easy to grow in a small shady plot like what I have available, yet all other information im able to find seems to feel otherwise, plus there seems to be some different opinions on its nutritional content, and medicinal benefits... they say it has a decent amount of b12...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ashitaba?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 05, 2010 12:01PM

It's one of those all-purpose herbs that is used as a diuretic, ns stimulant, lactation promoter, etc. I think one would have to consume a lot of the roots or leaves for any novel therapeutic[anti-tumor, artery dilating] effect, but I don't know if it's worth consuming for B vitamins. If you want to grow something for that, maybe alfalfa or hops would be a better use of real estate?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 05, 2010 05:49PM

But those don't have names that are as nice. In terms of marketting I'd go with the Angelica or make a blend of it with alfalfa and hops for sale. If that's your aim... People like novelty and a fancy name has it's very own appeal winking smiley.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: July 06, 2010 12:13AM

but alfalfa and hops both need richer soil I thought, and far more sunlight, where as Ashitaba is supposed to be able to do well in shade as long as the weather is temperate enough although it would do better in my climate with more sun... I was planning on growing it for a dietary supplement, not for sale, but you raise an interesting thought... If I can sell it for more than the cost of buying a good quality supplement, then it may be worth selling instead of eating/juicing it...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables