Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

This vegan cafe confuses me...
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: June 18, 2010 11:17AM

There is this Cafe in SF that claims to be completely vegan, and they serve a Bacon maple latte they claim is vegan, yet they say they use 10 pounds of actual real bacon to make 6 oz of this stuff that is like, essence of bacon or something,lol... like am essential oil of bacon or something like that,lol... and then they claim this essence is completely vegan... they where on an episode of No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain... they didnt mention how the pigs whom the bacon came from where raised, or slaughtered, and I was just wondering, is there really ANY circumstances in which REAL bacon could be considered "vegan" ?

Forgot to mention, their name is Pirate Cat Radio Cafe...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2010 11:18AM by Curator.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: This vegan cafe confuses me...
Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: June 18, 2010 12:10PM

Obviously when it is only related by name.
I think that most vegans would consider anything which effects or includes animals in some detrimental way to be non vegan. Which is a bit of a technicality realy, because most human activity these days is out of balance with nature and therefor indirectly negatively effects animals.

Date: June 18, 2010 12:28PM

Good point, even the mass production of most vegetables and fruits tends to end in the deaths of many animals both in the fields and on their way to your table, so its kinda hard to find a food that hasn't been touched by the death of an animal, or some form of animal cruelty, I guess all a person can do is the best with what they have available... I hesitate to judge, but its my feeling that a bacon latte, is not exactly the best they could do...so I agree, it most definitely is not really vegan... at least from what I understand the term vegan to mean...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 18, 2010 01:28PM

Mmm, yes, bacon flavoured latte, now that sounds Delish! *gag*

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 18, 2010 03:04PM

I saw that on "No Reservations" and I thought, "I call bull&%*#!" The guy who makes the coffee is vegan. Except when he makes/drinks that brew. Like I'm a saint. Except when I am setting fire to nursing homes. Well, that may be a bad analogy, but you could tell Anthony Bourdain was smugly delighted by the incongruity. Which was irritating. He's defiantly, arrogantly opposed to organics and vegetarianism. If I ever meet him, I'm gonna be like, "You've got a kid now. Grow up already."

Date: June 18, 2010 03:08PM

I didnt think he was against organics, he does love his meat and dairy products though,lol... he does rightfully have a problem with some things claimed to be organic, which Ive found are like the organic version of that latte, not all, but quite allot, as they only have to match a legally defined minimum amount of chemical pesticides to be considered organic, there are even some naturally derived pesticides that can be used, that aren't good for humans to consume, but are considered organic... unless something specifically states "grown without chemical fertilizers or pesticides" it isn't REALLY "organic"... on a positive note, he quit smoking a few years ago, so thats great,lol

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 18, 2010 03:20PM

Quit smoking eh, you'd think that would have improved his taste buds some.

Date: June 18, 2010 03:21PM

ROFLMAO... maybe,lol

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 18, 2010 03:22PM

Nope, in the past he has been derisive about organics, DEEEErisive. He prudently limited his smoking once his daughter was born, and then quit. Least he could have done, IMO. I'm sorry, I know I sound really prickly about Anthony Bourdain, but in cooking school, there was a pro-AB faction and an anti-AB faction, and the people who knew the least about nutrition were pro-AB. They had their reasons: he's a great gourmet, and apparently a fantastic chef, with a rakish charisma. He writes intelligently and wittily.

But I can't stand him. And I'm sure he wouldn't care if he knew : )

Date: June 18, 2010 03:32PM

I like his personality, especially during the times where you seem him genuinely touched by something and allot of the facade falls, and he is really himself, not really a fan of his diet,LOL...

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 19, 2010 11:47AM

maybe his nicotine withdrawal is so overwhelming to him that he can't think straight and mistakenly mistakes bacon for vegan

i can't think of any other explanation

also, "essence of bacon"

HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!

that is grotesquely humorous to me ( if i don't think about the pain the pigs went through)

good thing i have a sense of humor

otherwise.......

yeah...

good thing i have SOME sense of humor

or at least a semblance of humor

whadddyaaaaa know... bacon is considered vegan now

wow....

HEE HEEE tamukhs

that is a truly good analogy actually

that u are a "saint" until u start burning down nursing facilities

waaaaayyy accurate

LOLsmiling smiley

ROFLMAO !!!!!!!

hey.... didn't u know? its a trend to say the naked emperor's clothes are luxurious and gorgeous

Date: June 19, 2010 10:30PM

ROFLMAO... nah the look on his face on the show makes it obvious that he recognizes it isnt really vegan, and greatly enjoys that fact, its the guy that runs that vegan cafe that surprises me,lol...he should know better, and probably does, and is just trying to take advantage of those who just trust whatever their told...If he doesn't really realize its not vegan, then he is kinda out there...

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 20, 2010 12:22PM

" out there" is a veeeeeiiii uuuhhh reeeey "nice" euphemism

Date: June 20, 2010 12:54PM

I prefer to be uh..."nice" in most situations if I can be, I can always upgrade the term late if I feel it necessary, however once a stronger term is used, its rather hard to downgrade the severity...lol...

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: July 12, 2010 09:14PM

that sounds like some 'kosher' marshmellows I found a few months ago. Right on the package it said it had gelatin from pigs in it. Eh, how did they redefine the word 'kosher'? why bother having the name?

Date: July 13, 2010 12:03AM

yikes! thats really messed up! id report that product or something...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: July 15, 2010 07:54PM

well, I would imagine that people who are seriously interested in keeping kosher would check ingredients reguardless. It does lessen the authority and meaning of the word, and its labling of 'kosher' however. On another web page some folks were talking about some people in isreal who were renaming pigs 'short cows' because they wanted to eat them, or acquired a taste for it. Actually there is an animal which looks like a pig, but chews a cud, it lives in muslim countries, so that has kept it from becoming extinct, lucky for the animal!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables