Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

A small yellow bird hit the window!
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: October 29, 2010 05:40PM

Just a few minutes ago a small yellow bird flew into our window. We found it outside unconscious. I was trying to pick it up with a a paper towl, and found it was still alive, but very scared and hurt. There is a deli downstairs, and the manager came out. He immediately picked it up with some slimy hands, with an actual piece of ham stuck to his fingers. He was petting it and speaking to it calmy.

I feel bad, because I am not sure what is the best thing for the bird. I wanted to get it to a safe place for recovery, but I was afraid of stressing it out by touching it. I hope it will be ok in the deli, he brought it in and put it in a box. He was telling it to recover quickly, because he had things to do. But it was sitting upright, but I couldn't help but think that it probably didn't like being handled with smelly hands. I am thinking that it was too hurt to immediately respond.

What do you do when this sort of thing happens?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A small yellow bird hit the window!
Date: October 29, 2010 08:32PM

Tamukha,
That sounds like good advice. However, the bare sidewalk wasn't safe for it, and neither was the back yard. There is this wild cat I see pretty often back there. So the manager has it in a box in the back of the store. I checked up on it, its just resting in the center of the box with its eyes shut. Only time will tell if it will recover, if it has major injuries or not. Its dry and warm and in a place safe from predators.

However, there was someone in the store trying to feed it a piece of cheese! not my first idea of food it might want or need. It just looked at it disinterested and a bit scared, mostly because of the hand holding it. I said, I don't think it would be interested in a piece of cheese, probably just needs rest more than anything. My friend looked at it recently, and said someone put some crumbs in the box with it. He wasn't sure it was breathing,and brought his hand near it. It immediately opened its eyes, and looked alert. he left it alone, but felt bad for scaring it, he wasn't sure it was still alive. Hopefully people will just let it rest.

Date: October 30, 2010 01:45PM

I can't believe it. The shop manager left the bird in a box overnight, and it got out. He can't find it, maybe it found some way out, otherwise its somewhere in the deli. I thought that the deli wasn't a greatest place for it, but I didn't think he would actually leave it alone there all night. I thought he took it home. I hope its ok. Maybe it would have had better chances left outside.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 30, 2010 03:48PM

Mislu,

Hope the little birdie is OK. A wild bird does not belong indoors, but outside, so perhaps he made a break for it first chance he got. They will know if he's crawled into a flue or something by sounds. I wish him luck and you peace; you tried to help and should feel content about that.

Date: October 30, 2010 04:24PM

Tamukha,
Thank you for following and commenting. Its ok, its flying around sometimes, but not towards the door. They are having a difficult time catching it, and its really recovered because it can really fly. For now its in a back storage room, but not seen for awhile. I also hope its ok. I will really feel a lot better when I know that its safely outside. Thank you for wishing peace.

Yes, I feel good knowing that everyone involved did their best based on their knowledge and experience. My friend gave the manager this article in the paper about birds hitting the window. It was very, very close to the advice you gave.

Date: November 02, 2010 12:11PM

The manager saw the bird flying from the back room to the front deli area, he left the front door open all day, so he thinks it flew out. Not absolutely sure as he never actually saw it. But he doesn't see it flying around anymore, so its a good sign. I wish the bird well.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 02, 2010 09:12PM

Cross fingers! smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables