Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Coverage on Japan
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 15, 2011 05:55PM

When I first logged in this morning, I am being confronted with screaming headlines on Huffington Post, as well as all these other stories of how "dire" it is. I don't put it in quotes to minimize the suffering but because I feel that the media exploits tragedies and that I feed into them by wanting to see all the details. I chalk it up to mere curiosity or concern about our world but I still question my motives. And yet I feel good that someone within me seems to be shifting. I look at this "news" with a more discerning eye and question what is really going on. I don't have tv at home and so I will listen to the radio for the latest. And what I observed last night is that they kept saying that there was a danger of a meltdown and this morning it was the same...nothing "new" had really happened.

I used to work in a health food store. A regular customer (and practicing Buddhist) once announced to me that she no longer watched tv. I asked her about the "news" and how she functioned without it (and this was before Internet was universal). She replied that there was very little "news," as in, something is happening before our eyes. So what we are usually watching is what has happened (and being regurgitated by someone else) or what is anticipated. I found that very interesting and always kept it in the back of my mind...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Coverage on Japan
Date: March 15, 2011 07:03PM

LOL- Edit: "something" within me...I am neither pregnant nor possessed...I think...

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 16, 2011 01:07PM

I think what happened is terrible, however, the oversaturation of this topic on the news is so thick you can reach into the screen and pull it out in gobs. There is so much else going on in the world and in this country, that I cannot help but think that the network adertisers, the real deciders of programming, benefit from people's rational fears about natural disasters being magnified, and exploit that--no one's panicking because of what's happening in Libya, right? But that doesn't make it unimportant.

I do not suffer from what I call "amygdalosis," so it doesn't work on me and thus I get my news from other sources, and only what news is necessary to stayed tied to reality.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 16, 2011 03:11PM

Newspapers sensationalize anything they possibly can in order to draw you in, i think it was the movie training day that had a good quote - "This is a newspaper. It's 90 per cent bull****, but it's entertaining. That's why I read it, because it entertains me."

This has nothing to do with whats going on anywhere just how i feel on newspapers in general.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: March 17, 2011 06:08PM

I cringed a bit yesterday when I heard about the run on kelp tablets in America. I mean, right now JAPAN is hurting. I am tired of US-centric crap, especially right now. I love my country but it's silly season right now...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables