Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Update on deli
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: March 11, 2011 09:30PM

I don't remember who was interested in the deli guy, but someone asked me to keep an update. Well, the deli below where I live, its days are numbered. The owner, I will just call "T". (made up, its not even the first letter of the name)

T's refrigerator gave out recently, so hes reduced to just one. He doesn't have funds to even have someone look at it for repair. The remaining one I suppose is still working. T has maxed out his credit cards to light, and heat the place, and to provide for food to stock the place. His growth on the side of his head is still getting larger, which I am sad about. Hes about too loose his home. He mentioned that he has a number of wealthy relatives who he complained about, how they haven't offered to help. Well on top of everything the property is going to be put on the market soon. But T seems really quite calm considering. He doesn't seem as concerned or shaken as he did a month ago. So, I am amazed. I guess business has picked up.

The recent heavy rains have been an inconvience for everyone, for a few hours most people in the area really couldn't use water, flush toilets, shower etc...The street was flooded about a block away, but the water has gone down. His son had to be rescued by boat earlier because he was trapped at home.

I personally will loose my room I am living in, as the same landlords own the property as the deli, and the garden space I have been using will probably not be available for me to use after that. There is a possibility that I could move to another nearby apartment which will still be owned by the landlords, at a lower rate than most places in the area. It will be an adjustment however with all the upcoming changes. No more deli probably, no more usual room and house. I hope that it will all be for the best for everyone. I am thinking that a lot of T's stress will be resolved, except for the question of if he will still have his home. It would be interesting if one of his relatives buys the place, which by the sounds of it that could happen. This in a way is all still speculation, as its not yet put on the market, just rumors....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Update on deli
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: March 12, 2011 12:06AM

ahhh, well, I hope it all works out well for everybody... I also hope he gets that growth looked at some how...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: March 13, 2011 12:56PM

Curator,
Thank you. I wondered myself how he has gone so long without dealing with it. Its one of those things where you want to ask, but its just not comfortable. Hes remarkably upbeat and carefree however. Or at least giving a lot of people that impression. My mother inlaw always comments on it. I think I am the only person to actually see and sense his anxiety, if only for a brief moment. Its a strength in a lot of ways,if its real. American culture values that sense of belief in oneself and what one is doing. But if its not matching what is happening, and it keeps one from getting ones needs met, is it really adapted?

Date: March 13, 2011 01:05PM

its definitely not healthy to delude oneself into thinking everything is great when everything is not... I think one can stagnate that way, lose the drive to change what needs to be changed... if you are walking on a thin ledge, putting on a blindfold will not exactly help you...most of the time at least...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: March 13, 2011 06:34PM

The best advice for anyone in business is if you are struggling with no end in sight then it is time to get out. Close the doors and walk away.

Too often business owners let their passion get in the way of their logic. I recently sold my business of 5yrs not because it was failing but because I was standing in the way of its growth. The new owners are doing a fabulous job with it and are taking it to its potential.

I can understand why the deli owner's family won't help him out financially. It would be putting a bandaid on a bullet wound.

Date: March 13, 2011 09:03PM

I agree, but I hope they at least help him keep his home or something...a crappy sink hole of a business is one thing... a home is something else entirely.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: March 14, 2011 08:19AM

Sometimes in business family has to let family crash and burn. One of my brothers just bought a business that I felt was a huge mistake because the previous owners didn't have any financial/bookkeeping history, couldn't even produce a bank statement, had no idea what the business grossed monthly much less annually, and were paying employees under the table. He wanted to borrow money from me and I told him no. Now he is mad at me. *shrug* He ended up borrowing money from a friend and bought the business without a contract and took it over as a sole proprietorship rather than under the protection of a corporation. The business deals with automobile tires so if something tragic were to happen - a tire blow out - and he were held liable then he could lose his house and vehicles and everything. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I tried to councel him and he didn't want to listen. So if he were to lose everything then I would have to just watch it happen. I would not try and help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2011 08:25AM by RocketShip.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 14, 2011 03:56PM

Tough love, RocketShip.

I think the deli owner may be relieved or may be so troubled he's past caring what happens to his business. Considering the condition of it, perhaps his heart wasn't in it at all, and he is now hopeful of a future without this burden. The growth on his head, however, points to serious problems, even of a psychological nature, which is why I said earlier I think of him as a Job figure--his internal strife may be manifesting externally. Sad.

Hope in any case that you, Mislu, end up on your feet in an apartment with good sunlight and fresh air smiling smiley

Date: March 14, 2011 09:32PM

Rocketship,
A bullet hole is right! There is so many things difficult and less than ideal about the shop. I think you are right, it could be a reason why his relatives won't help. I was so surprised at how one of the landlords is supporting him. hes now two months behind, and probably will never pay. May actually be several months without paying by the time the building is closed. A relative suggested that its still an ideal place for a deli. And the landlord said maybe T can stay there! not getting the idea that she meant someone else! and another business altogether.

Tamukha
Thank you for your good thoughts. I suppose that should be my concern, what I will do for this situation. The plan for now is to move into this apartment nearby with reasonable rent. I may still be able to garden for a short time before it gets paved over into a parking lot. Most of everything is an unknown.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables