Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pepper-sprayed boy and mom speak out
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 06, 2011 03:37PM

[abcnews.go.com]

I guess an 8-year-old got out of control at school and police were called. He broke wood trim off the walls in an attempt to stab fellow students. You have to watch the video because he is so honest about his feelings. I cannot blame the police. I am sorry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pepper-sprayed boy and mom speak out
Date: April 06, 2011 04:09PM

Clarification: I think this boy is disturbed. It is abnormal for a young child (or any person) to have this much rage. It would be an ideal situation if there was a mental health professional on the scene, rather than law enforcement. But here's the rub: if the teachers were terrified of him, how could he possibly be talked to? Pepper spray is not to punish but to subdue. I assume that it is not a potentially lethal form of restraint the way tazars occasionally turn out to be. But you cannot reason with a raging person, even a little one.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: April 06, 2011 08:39PM

good point, its unfortunate...and horrible, but I understand why it happened...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 06, 2011 10:13PM

I can't imagine that 2 grown cops felt so threatened that their only recourse was to pepper spray a little kid. I'm pretty sure they learn disarming techniques in their training. That is just ridiculous. Really.

Date: April 06, 2011 10:49PM

With a small, out-of-control child, they may be wary of physically restraining him. In any case, cops are not psychologists or psychiatrists. They don't necessarily come with a lot of insight into emotional issues and just deal by using force. Good or bad, it is what it is. But I am more concerned with this child's mental state, to be honest. I like that he admits how he felt and everything, but it makes me angry that the mother is framing this as a teacher versus student thing. I have worked in schools. I know very well that some teachers can be very intolerant of those students who struggle or otherwise have problems settling down. But the boy made a comment about wanting his mother home that left me to wonder what is going on in his home life. Where was his father during this interview? So many questions...

Date: April 07, 2011 02:49AM

Physical restraint of an out of control child can cause far more harm to them than pepper spray, even gently holding a child, if he doesnt stop freaking out, he can severely injure himself, where as pepper spray just causes temporary albeit very horrible discomfort and pain, during my previous job there have been kids ive had to work with that when they threw fits, all you could is lock them in the room and let them trash everything, and viciously beat the door till they calmed down,often this led to worse injuries and pain than pepper spray, I was trained in restraints, yet my boss let me know to never use them on those particular children, because it would just lead to both of us being injured, and NOTHING, no calming words, not even promises of special treats would calm them down... its not normal children we are talking about here, but ones usually with a severe mental disorder, ANY restraint you use on a child in such a state, WILL injure them, potentially in a permanent way... pepper spray is the lesser of two evils in this instance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: April 07, 2011 05:21AM

Before hiking in Glacier National Park I got advice to wear bells to scare bears away and to carry pepper spray in case of a grizzly attack.

Later I heard this:

When you see animal scat on the hiking trail, how can you tell the difference between grizzly bear scat and that of other animals?
Answer: Just look for the sh*# with bells and pepper spray cans in it!

My favorite raw vegan

Date: April 07, 2011 06:16AM

LOL trive, yeah, pepper spray often just pisses a bear off, however, it CAN scare it off sometimes... ive heard the same joke though, hahaha...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 07, 2011 05:39PM

Agree with Curator about restraining a child. When I saw how little responsibility the mother is taking for the child's obvious neurological problem, I was like, we have a winna! Nine times out of ten, in my experience, the problem is that the parents aren't willing to feed, discipline, and nurture their children into mental and physical health, or don't know how(I call this parenting by neglect). It used to be that a parent at wit's end would look for any help they could get and do whatever they could no matter how difficult to change their child's circumstances. Today, they point fingers at everyone else. I don't know what all is going on with society. I'm sure the breakdown in access to intervention and education services[thanks, pols!] is only going to make things worse.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables