Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Have you ever lived through an earthquake?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 06, 2011 01:37AM

I don't know if I have ever mentioned this before. On 4/18/2008 at 4 in the morning, I was asleep and remember waking up feeling the floor shaking and thinking: this isn't right. Something is wrong here. But I was really not awake and forgot about it. Later on that day when I learned of the quake, I remembered what had happened! Oh my God, it was pretty wild. And IL is on the New Madrid faultline. The epicenter of the 2008 quake was in Southern IL, but we could feel it way up here! I don't know if any damage could really be done in the Chicago area if God forbid there was a massive quake on that faultline but I was just curious if anyone else has ever been through this.

Here is info on the quake of 2008: [earthquake.usgs.gov]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2011 01:38AM by banana who.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Have you ever lived through an earthquake?
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 06, 2011 03:23AM

we've had plenty of small tremors up here in vancouver bc but nothing major yet smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: April 06, 2011 03:34AM

that big one off the coast of eureka california, I sure felt that! I was in a dollar tree store, being ranted at by the mother of my friends gf, she was pissed off at me for telling my friend I had walked in on her daughter and another man, in her home... yelling obscenities at me and stuff about how it wasnt my business, and I shouldnt have said anything (lol) the lady at the register was on the phone to the police as I sat there looking at her funny,then I said "if your daughter was not having sex with another man on my friends couch,she wouldnt be having problems with her boyfriend, it would have been wrong for me to say nothing." she picks up a bottle of something and brandishes it like she was going to hit me, and then it was like the floor fell out from under us, and all the metal isles where undulating back and forth like metal snakes and a bunch of shampoo bottles flung off the shelf pegging her repeatedly in the head as she tried to run away... Its funny, I should have been scared, but she looked so funny running from the shampoo that I couldnt help but laugh... made the whole experience fairly enjoyable to me, like a comedy show and a roller coaster at the same time...

Posted by: jono ()
Date: April 06, 2011 07:45AM

the 89 world series earthquake was a rowdy romp of herky jerky hijinks

i was luckily located on a big grassy field, nearing the end of soccer practice

and then suddenly the earth started shaking

i was young and it was my first really big quake

and it was surreal

like a dreamy and unexpected foot massage that traveled throughout my body and mind

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 06, 2011 12:30PM

Nope. Never felt the earth move under my feet, the sky come tumbling down...

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 06, 2011 12:43PM

A couple of tiny ones, like we have once a half-generation up here in MI. It wasn't shaking and quaking--it was like something briefly shifted, but left no evidence behind. I recall thinking, hmmm, this must be what missing time from an alien abduction feels like . . .

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: April 06, 2011 02:40PM

Wow.
I live in south central Pa and have never felt a quake in my life.
I always wonder...........
Is it a rapid vibration?
Or a slow swaying of the ground?

Vinny

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 06, 2011 03:00PM

@Eaglefly: Well, this felt like a swaying of ground. But a couple of years ago there was another quake in Northern IL and I think I felt that one, too! And it was different--like a truck slamming into the side of a building. I woke up screaming and later learned there had been a quake. So strange. Until 2008, I never experienced anything like this! This tells me that there may be something afoot via Earth changes. But in any case, I always have thought--of all disasters, earthquakes don't seem so scary. Even that Japanese one, this video I watched was of a family leaving their house during the 9.0 quake and the man filmed the whole thing! But of course it's easy for me to say it doesn't seem so bad.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 06, 2011 09:00PM

solution:

private jet

solution 2

jetting outdoors and then donning stilts

solution 3:
put a pillow on top of my head and go back to sleep

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: April 06, 2011 09:57PM

I have lived through several earthquakes. well, they were small. I grew up in anchorage, so we had them all the time. Most of them never made news outside of alaska. I lived through one larger than several ca earthquakes that made news.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: April 07, 2011 05:09AM

I grew up in New Orleans where the land is very stabile - no quaking there. So I'd never felt one until...

One night when I was living in Bellingham, Washington and was watching the evening news and felt a tremor and saw a painting on the wall swing on it's nail. Then the newscaster in a very officious voice said, "We are experiencing an earthquake." It was mild, but dramatic to me who had never experienced anything like it.

Then when I moved to New Zealand I was standing with my husband on the banks of a river and both of us involuntarily bent at the knees and stood back up straight. We looked at each other funny and realized that it had been an earthquake! Little did we know that that would be the first of many over the years. Fortunately our house was built to meet earthquake requirements, so it's not scary to us, although if it were a REALLY big one I'm sure it would be.

People in our town who have lived there longer than us talk about one that was big there. Miraculously only one person died during it and I think it was from a heart attack, not physical injury from the quake. In front of one business is an iron "sculpture" on the lawn. In fact it is a section of raidroad track that twisted during that big quake!

The tragedies in Christchurch and Japan make me know that it could be much worse than what I've experienced. It seems that the worst hit buildings are older ones constructed before there was knowledge of structural engineering about how to absorb the shocks.

To me hurricanes and tornadoes are much scarier than earthquakes. I have lived through several hurricanes. I have had my house flooded from them more than once - and they were different houses! During one hurricane part of the roof on my sister's house came off while we were in it. It's hard enough not having electricity or clean water, but living with no air conditioning in hot humid New Orleans is a royal pain. (I managed growing up without a/c as a child, but am horribly spoiled now.) And I have watched tornadoes spawned from hurricanes and have seen their devastation.

Hmmm... which natural disaster is "better"? I've never been near a wildfire. They look especially frightening.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: jono ()
Date: April 07, 2011 06:36AM

i guess this is where i got the foot massage meme... a commercial for california cheese... how cheesy

[www.youtube.com]

yep, that's how we roll in cali, we just be like "ahhhhhhhh

foooooooooooooooooooooooootttt

maaaassssaaaaaaaaaage"

(the vibrational voice modulation is a bit of an exaggeration)

Vinny, every quake is unique, like a snowflake! but they all seem to involve some rumbling, swaying, rolling, and a bit of crooked up and down movement

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: April 07, 2011 06:46AM

wildfires are damn scary, especially if they come really fast out of nowhere and your not sure which road to take to get away, and you choose one and you go down it and then find that its surrounded by giant burning trees that are all falling down, and you turn around go back the other way and the next road is blocked...you start to really panic then, feeling trapped, images of being burned alive flash through your head... then luckily fire people show up, get ya some oxygen, and you find out they cleared one of the roads and your not gonna die a horrific death...that part is nice... lol...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables