Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What do you put your garbage in?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: September 27, 2011 11:09PM

Maybe that's a silly question. Maybe everyone puts it in trash bags. Does anyone use the paper bags from the grocer's (like Whole Foods only uses now)? I can't stand that I am using plastic bags. There is a health store where I used to work and they switched over to cornstarch bags and they are totally awesome! They strech and are totally compostable. I have inquired to purchase a case of their bags (they don't have the store's logo on it, if I am correct) but so far have not been able to make it happen. That company that makes cornstarch bags and sells them in WF charges way too much!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What do you put your garbage in?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 28, 2011 11:35AM

I have biodegradable bags from a small company in Michigan; they don't distribute elsewhere, as far as I know sad smiley

Anything food related, I compost.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: September 28, 2011 04:12PM

I hate to admit I use those big black ones you can buy anywhere.

Vinny

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 28, 2011 07:23PM

The apartment we're moving into requires that we use large black or green garbage bags but I can't fill one of those in a month! I don't know what we'll do... I plan to keep compostables in a container in the freezer and dump them in the brush along side the nature trail every couple of days and I'll be ordering recycling bins (I can't believe NO ONE in our building recycles!). Aside from that, the actual trash we make is minimal so... I could put it into the small biodegradable bags I have and stuff it into a public bin every day I guess. Those are lined with large plastic bags though so I don't know what to do.

Date: September 28, 2011 08:32PM

coco,

Ask you mom to send you some of the bags I use from "Full Circle;" I got them at Meijer. The ones for curbside are black in color and look just like Heftys.

Date: September 28, 2011 10:44PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The apartment we're moving into requires that we
> use large black or green garbage bags but I can't
> fill one of those in a month! I don't know what
> we'll do... I plan to keep compostables in a
> container in the freezer and dump them in the
> brush along side the nature trail every couple of
> days and I'll be ordering recycling bins (I can't
> believe NO ONE in our building recycles!). Aside
> from that, the actual trash we make is minimal
> so... I could put it into the small biodegradable
> bags I have and stuff it into a public bin every
> day I guess. Those are lined with large plastic
> bags though so I don't know what to do.

*gasp* No recycling in a Canadian town?! I thought everyone was so much more enlightened than us wasteful Yankeeswinking smiley

On a serious note, I am really pissed off that my town doesn't have widespread recycling in a meaningful waysad smiley They have $1 and 2 million dollar houses here and can't manage more than a lousy plastic crate (not even a full milk size) that I could fill in a day or two!sad smiley Maybe I should spearhead a movement?smiling smiley I wonder if it's all privatized!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 29, 2011 02:44PM

I can't get over the no recycling thing at this building either, it's just too weird. Our local politigal is right on it though, she actually bought a set of the large bins to put out back for the whole strip to use. There are 3 businesses and 4 apartments here, none recycling. How does one throw something so valuable into the trash? Cans especially, metal is in high demand.

Tam, will request the bio-bags. It's gonna take me 3 weeks to fill one though!

Date: September 29, 2011 03:24PM

I am really irked because the last town I lived in was workingclass and we had ample recyling. I think the numbers of Slavs was the key. Certain people are raised to be thrifty and not wasteful. Resusing stuff becomes part of how they live. My parents are both like that. My father was raised during the Depression and my mom grew up in a rural environment in another country. So it's one good thing they have passed down to me. I cannot stand people just throwing newspapers in the trash! Aargh!!!!

Date: September 29, 2011 07:26PM

coco,

At this point, because of all the composting I do and because there's just me, I fill only 1/4 of the bag per week. If there's no damp matter in it, I won't put it out except in high summer. Once the weather gets cool, because the garage--where the bin is kept until garbage day--is almost as cold as outside, I'll go two or three weeks without putting out the trash. Recycling happens every week, though smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables