Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Piggybacking on garbage question: recycling...
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: September 29, 2011 03:27PM

Have you ever seen anyone throw recyclables into the regular trash and "corrected" them? I have bit my tongue sitting in Whole Foods and here's a very clearly marked trash bin and they throw it in the glass bin. But I don't say anything. In my former apt. people would sometimes throw garbage into the recycling bin and I actually caught someone in progress and told her that it belonged in the next one. She might not have spoken English for all I know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Piggybacking on garbage question: recycling...
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 29, 2011 07:54PM

Yes. People can be thoughtless and irresponsible, and I find it's better to assume that it was an honest mistake, rather than can't-be-botheredness, and point it out with a smile or just pick the thing up and put it in the right receptacle in view of them.

Do you remember that Honda Civic Hybrid commercial from 2007 that was a parody of "The Odd Couple," with the two men meeting around town, and the one is always littering while the other is always picking up the debris after him? At the end, the responsible fellow leaves on the car of the irresponsible fellow an elaborate sculpture of a tree fashioned from all his litter. I still love that commercial.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 03, 2011 03:54PM

I did see that commercial! It's really thoughtful and cute.

I told someone in the post office the other day (in a friendly way) that the garbage can people were throwing their junk mail into isn't actually a recycling bin. I said that I'd asked the postal workers and they said we are supposed to take our mail home with us to recycle there. The person was surprised to learn that but happy to take their paper home for recycling.
I think it can be said in a nice way, as though you are sharing something interesting that you have also just learned about. Like "Oh, hey, did you know they put in recycling bins for that just over there?" and pointing the way.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 03, 2011 09:58PM

Coco, the problem is when someone throws paper into the trash before I get a chance to say anything. Like I was at church recently and a parishoner walked past me and chucked her program into the trash can. I didn't expect it and was speechless. It really irks me that in 2011 most people are still so wasteful and unconscious about recycling. No, there was no separate place to put the paper but I just carry with me until I find a bin! I don't think that's fanatical. I am not being judgmental about these people but I do wish they would conserve.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 04, 2011 01:22PM

I might quietly take the program out of the trash and transfer it to the recycling bin myself. If they see you doing it and don't feel personally attacked but positively influenced, all the better. Some people are just clueless though, there is no getting through to them at all. Don't frustrate yourself getting het up about it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables