Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fibershed
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 17, 2011 03:30PM

It's the 100 mile diet for clothing.

[www.youtube.com]

While the practice described is not strictly vegan it could be. I think though that using the wool of sheep and alpaca is not something I'll cross off my list entirely. While not comfortable using the wool from sheep raised strictly for meat, our cousin has sheep that she loves and takes great care of and their wool is available for spinning.

Keep in mind that the garments you see are a first design effort, any style or quality can be made by hand.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fibershed
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 17, 2011 07:46PM

This was an interesting video. The process, if strictly held to, is actually unsustainable--sheep don't exist in perpetuity--and causes further shrinkage of an economy--what if there's a cotton farmer that can contribute but is 200 miles away? I think doing this selectively on a small scale, and, as the poster does, focusing on creating as many steps for as many people as possible in the production line, is a sensible application of the idea.

Howevs, must handcrafted garments make one look like a Thai rice paddy worker? Surely, the design aspect can be further refined!

Thanks for posting, coco smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 17, 2011 08:12PM

Some of the clothes like the bicycle felted vest are too "artistic" looking for me to want to wear them but I liked the felted skirt, "golden" pants, some of the sweaters and the light and dark blue striped leggings so muchy! It's all first run clothing too, it can be refined.
I don't think sticking strictly within a 100 mile radius is the goal, rather raising awareness about where things come from, are manufactured, etc. We've sadly lost nearly all local production of so many things, it would be wonderful to recapture that lost knowledge and ability. If something needed to come from further away that would be acceptable to me but it would be best if the closest source was the default IMO. If people were even AWARE of what's available where they live instead of just heading to the nearest Malwart! Instead of using what we can get locally we go for the superficial value, how it looks as opposed to where it was made or how. We are so particular about every little thing these days, the values that create sustainable culture have been eroded intolerably.

Make do, do without, use it up, wear it out!

I'm going to learn how to dye, spin, knit and felt. It's my next big project.
Did you know you can take apart (called frogging) an old sweater from the thrift store and re-knit it into something else? Your Grandad's trashed old cardigan could be my next pair of socks or mittens!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2011 08:15PM by coco.

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: October 17, 2011 10:19PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's the 100 mile diet for clothing.
Very eye-opening. I had no idea anything like this existed.
What an interesting woman. We can all be so, in our own way......WY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables