Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I am very impressed with Blossom!
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 21, 2012 01:19AM

I don't know how many people remember the tv show with that name back in the 90s starring Mayim Bialek as Blossom. Even though I wasn't a teenybopper at the time, I did watch the show and thought it was fairly decent, as far as sitcoms go. Today I was perusing the new books section of a local library and came upon a book by her on attachment parenting! I had heard the term before and started skimming it. It is WONDERFUL! She talks about everything from Elimination Communication to co-sleeping. I agree with everything she wrote. I guess she and her family are vegans, too! I highly recommend this book as a gift to new parents, if they would be open to such ideas. The two things I was so happy to read was not getting kids "stuff" but allowing them to play with wooden spoons, etc. (her kids have some toys but she talks about how overblown most people are with it) and not tutoring or otherwise drilling kids under five in foreign languages, the alphabet, etc. Allowing them to PLAY as their preferred learning mode.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I am very impressed with Blossom!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 21, 2012 01:23AM

That is very cool! I saw an interview with her one time, this funny dude who is in love with old TV shows and tracks down former stars looked her up on an episode. She seemed VERY down to earth but spoke of wanting to return to show biz (she has some kind of crazy smarty pants degree too, she's so intelligent). Then she shows up on that sitcom The Big Bang Theory a few months later. Like WOW, that's some determined woman! Great stuff.

Anyhow, I agree with her philosophy. I've been getting rid of stuff in the house lately and it doesn't seem to matter how many toys and books I send off to the thrift store, my kids still find things to play with and entertain themselves with. It's amazing, they really don't need much of anything to create a good time. Incredible teachers, those small folk smiling smiley.

Date: March 21, 2012 01:43AM

She is a neuroscientist (biologist?) with a doctorate. I don't know that show about Big Bang Theory...(it'll be three tv-free years for me in April) but I also thought it was cool that she mentioned that her kids don't watch tv OR do computers (there was another thing).

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 21, 2012 02:09AM

It's a REALLY popular show on TV right now, I see a lot of related crafts on the crafting website I visit. A great re-entry for her, amazing really when you think about it. Not many people break back into entertainment in such a huge way after a long time off. And she hasn't done any of that work at all as an adult, only when she was young. I confess I've watched a couple of times just to see her. It's a stupid show that I don't see the point of but her character is very funny and I get a kick out of her being on TV again.
I love that her kids don't watch, lol, what a kick in the teeth of her chosen industry. Smart cookie.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 21, 2012 03:41AM

I love famous people who come out of the closet with things like this and draw attention to the positive aspects of it.

Instead of, "OH, NO, you might smash your baby co-sleeping." Or, "Why breastfeed? We have some genetically modified garbage in a packet instead!"

Nevermind the incidence of permanent damage/death from vaccinations...

The future of our planet depends on some GOOD, connected, cognitive parenting! Thumbs up.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 21, 2012 03:12PM

I love "The Big Bang" theory! It's clever and Bialik's character is awesome, a sort of super nerd parody of what she is in real life, by accounts.

Apparently at the cajoling of her Cali friends, she made an ill advised appearance on TLC's "What Not To Wear" a couple of years ago. Generally, I think people benefit from that show's encouraging them to look more professional or dignified or whatever, but in her case, I was thinking, so she dresses like an earth mother, so what? She manages to stay grounded and natural and true to her and her husband's Orthodox Judaism living in Los Angeles, for heaven's sake! Cut her some credit and leave her alone!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2012 03:12PM by Tamukha.

Date: March 21, 2012 04:44PM

I was wondering if she was an Orthodox Jew because her dedication page was in Hebrew. How does one practice being Orthodox as a vegan? Lots of latkes!

What I liked about her in "Blossom" was that I found her a great role model for teenage girls. Intead of having to be conventionally pretty (although I think she was very cute), she was also funny and smart.

In the book, she isn't strident yet hints at how other people like to comment on how others alternatively parent!

Date: March 21, 2012 11:10PM

banana who,

How does one practice being Orthodox as a vegan? Lots of latkes!

Lots of Sephardic food; all those fresh salads and roasted veggie dishes--yum!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 03, 2012 08:42PM

tamukha

what is sephardic
i know i know
i could look everything up nowadays
but i like people telling me stuff
makes me feel human ( they tell me that is what i am though i dunno)

Date: April 03, 2012 09:10PM

la_veronique,

Sephardim are Mediterranean Jews descended from those that lived in the Iberian Peninsula--"Sephard" in Hebrew--before the Catholic Reconquista, and who moved back "eastward" after it.

Date: April 03, 2012 09:19PM

la_veronique Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> tamukha
>
> what is sephardic
> i know i know
> i could look everything up nowadays
> but i like people telling me stuff
> makes me feel human ( they tell me that is what i
> am though i dunno)

LOL- that's funny! I know exactly what you mean. I grew up with actually interacting with people by ASKING stuff. Now you're told to crank up the Google.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 05, 2012 06:44AM

tamukhs

thanks a bunch
u should go on Jeopardy
i swear smiling smiley

banana who

yeah, that's me
i interact with peoplez
not search engines

yeah, people-z
those beings
they got two legs ( uh... some do)
two arms
a mouth
a coupla eyeballs

maybe a brain
and sometimes its fun
to see what's in their brain

where does information come from anyhow
the brain
where is the mind
what is the heart
what is spirit

or are we just channeling a bunch of aliens

Date: April 05, 2012 12:54PM

I think a lot of information is out in the ethers and we can access it somehow; sometimes I'll think to come up with an answer to something, and I get this sensation that is different from when you recall something from long-term memory--it feels like the information is coming from farther away. This has happened to me since I was little, and barely old enough to have a long-term memory. Weird.

Posted by: brome ()
Date: April 05, 2012 03:38PM

You're referring to the Akashic records:

References to the Akashic records, or the eternal Book of Life, date back to antiquity. References in the Old Testament and beyond give us the sense that there is a collective storehouse of knowledge that is written on the fabric of reality.

The Akashic records are like the DNA of the universe. They are the soul's journey over time, so every thought, word, and deed is registered in the Akashic records. Each soul has its own Akashic record, and there are collective records of all souls or all journeys.

[www.journey2theheart.com]

The Akashic records are described as containing all knowledge of human experience and the history of the cosmos.

[www.themystica.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2012 03:46PM by brome.

Date: April 05, 2012 04:10PM

Akashic records= spiritual computer! smiling smiley

Date: April 06, 2012 01:43AM

Awesome, brome--thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables