Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Question for parents
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 24, 2012 09:40PM

I have seen this over and over and could never understand it. Why do parents cover their children up in blankets or shroud them in plastic when outside? It drives me bonkers! Initially I would see it with Hispanic (specifically Mexican where I lived) where they would cover their child in a fleece blanket completely, including the head. Once I heard a baby screaming and I wanted so badly to tell the parents that their child was likely terrified of being smothered but I held my tongue. I also would see them covering the stroller in clear plastic on chilly days (or windy ones). I figured that due to higher rates of asthma in that community, this was the reason. But how good can one's breathing be after inhaling PVCs?

So I also saw it with Asian people and now it has migrated to Americans. Has anyone on here done this and if so, what was the logic behind it? I think kids need fresh air! Even cool air won't hurt them, will it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question for parents
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 24, 2012 09:55PM

We had a cover for the stroller for windy or rainy days. Those covers have a bunch of holes in the sides and they aren't sealed around the bottom, baby is still getting plenty of fresh air, just no wind or wet. They don't smell either, or at least the ones I've had. I carried both babies in a front carrier then a backpack for as long as I could manage their weight but after that if going for a shop we took out a stroller (I don't drive at all so that was our car). I wouldn't automatically use a cover though, only if it was needed. Not sure why people use them for everyday.
As for the excessive blanketing, I don't know. A lot of babes do like the feeling of being swaddled tightly when new, it's a familiar feeling to being all snuggly contained in the womb. Being almost constricted like that can be very calming to an upset newborn. And they don't have good temperature regulation when they're new either. I don't get the covering the face of an awake baby though, why? Unless it's for shade, sunscreen isn't ok until after a certain age and their skin is very delicate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2012 09:56PM by coco.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 24, 2012 09:59PM

Well, this was at night (when I heard the baby shrieking). I would imagine that it could be terrifying for a baby to be forceably wrapped and the head also covered.

But what is wrong with wind or wet air? I just don't get that. I think it would probably be healthier air! Don't you ever enjoy walking in the rain or mist? I have never seen holes in the plastic. It really looked like Saran Wrap to me.

Date: April 24, 2012 10:14PM

The holes are in the sides, so rain can't get in and any wind is a cross breeze instead directly into the face.
You know that terrible feeling when wind has blown into your ear and you get an ear ache? That could be one reason. Kids are often prone to ear infection.
Also, babies can't tell you if they're cold, if they've yanked off mittens or hat (that was pretty much all the time for my 2, lol), and in fact in my experience very small children sometimes don't seem to even feel the cold very much. It's weird, mine would want their clothes off when it was right chilly in the house, they'd have icy hands and feet and not seem to notice. A lowered body temp like that can depress the immune function though. They'd both pull off extra clothes, shoes, socks etc. I'd look into the stroller and there's be a half naked small person with lips turning blue. Personally I HATE the feeling of being chilled so could never understand this but that's kids for you.
A little breeze or wet can't hurt, sure, but if you're going to be out for any length of time you don't really want an all over damp baby sitting there all cold and soggy for a hour or two. Preventative measures for some parents maybe.
I dunno, I only used that thing for wind and rain and I didn't cover over their heads. The boy especially wanted to see everything right from the start. He'd scream inconsolably if he was facing inwards in the front carrier, he wanted to SEE!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 24, 2012 11:10PM

IMO, plastic covering is OK for nana's couch, but not children. A nice woolen or cotton blankie, great, but the kid should be exposed to air and light.

Uh . . . as I write this I am thinking that, on the other hand, these parents may have happened upon a solution to an unsuspected problem: once upon a time, wind and raindrops were wholesome and tolerable, but now they are full of toxins that can penetrate the epidermis, so . . .

Date: April 24, 2012 11:24PM

If they would keep the blanket ON maybe. Most kids yank that sucker off along with their hats, mitts, shoes and socks and toss them over board though. It's really hard to keep kids dressed. I don't know how it goes at school Tam, I'm pretty sure my 4 year old doesn't shed layers there (and I wish I knew their secret!) but the minute that girl gets home the bare arsed running away from mama hilarity ensues, ha ha.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables