Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

In Defense of Greed
Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: February 28, 2013 02:13PM

I'm flipping out this morning because I'm 'into' 'superfoods' or herbs or whatever you call it - Nutrition. Food. Nutrients - for a while now, and I'm obsessing over buying them all. I want everything out there that's available. I've spent three hours on looking it all up so far this morning.

So I'm looking at a bunch of websites and making a list of all the herbs and superfoods and powders, etc., and putting them in my wish lists and saving the websites to my favorites.

So the thing is - I'm 'Greedy' if I'm obsessed with them and wanting them all, right? So if we are 'into' growing micro-greens, say, or sprouts, say, and so we want to buy every seed available and grow and eat every micro-green and sprout there is - does that make us 'greedy'? Or not, because it's healthy food? Or are we just obsessed?

Is this more of an obsessive/compulsive disorder thing, because I only got 5 hours sleep last night and woke up at 5:00, and I think when I don't get enough sleep, I go online and get obsessive about looking stuff up or whatever.

But if someone was obsessed with jewelry and loves wearing jewelry and wants to buy every kind of jewel that's out there, is she 'greedy'? Is she greedy because jewelry is something you don't need, but we're not greedy because we need food? I think it's the same thing, because it's coming from a core Obsession or Want.

And what if we are Obsessed with Wanting more Knowledge on a subject - like we can't stop looking up Natural Health Cures - that is Greed, also, I say, because it's a Wanting of all we can get, wanting all that's available (whether it's knowledge or something material). So Greed is only wanting Material things?

What about a Collector - of antiques or stamps or coins, maybe - are they "Greedy"? They're obsessed with getting all there is of what they love.

I think Greed should be taken off the Seven Deadly Sins list.

(I'd rather this didn't turn into a political discussion - like about the 1% or greedy corporations, etc., but I would have no business complaining if it did - LOL )

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: In Defense of Greed
Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: February 28, 2013 03:15PM

KidRaw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>... I think Greed should be taken off the Seven Deadly
> Sins list.
>

I think that people have tried to change Christianity to fit their lifestyle for centuries, but it will always fail, We are supposed to change ourselves to meet His example.

There is a un-Christ like flaw to your logic. I could give you Bible quotes, but to really understand it, I highly recommend you read this book:

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2013 03:27PM by swimmer.

Date: February 28, 2013 06:25PM

Thanks, Swimmer - interesting. Discipline. Self-discipline. I didn't know that Jesus' Disciples were named for the word discipline.

[www.theopedia.com]

"Discipleship is the process of embracing the life and ethic of Jesus Christ because of the hope laid out in the Gospel."

Here is the history of the Seven Deadly Sins -

[www.ehow.com]

I'm guilty of Greed and Sloth, but maybe they can be cured with the RFD.

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: February 28, 2013 10:31PM

Some quotes from "The cost of Discipleship":

[www.goodreads.com]

Date: February 28, 2013 11:46PM

Some of those quotes are excellent -

“True prayer is done in secret, but this does not rule out the fellowship of prayer altogether, however clearly we may be aware of its dangers. In the last resort it is immaterial whether we pray in the open street or in the secrecy of our chambers, whether briefly or lengthily, in the Litany of the Church, or with the sigh of one who knows not what he should pray for. True prayer does not depend either on the individual or the whole body of the faithful, but solely upon the knowledge that our Heavenly Father knows our needs.”

I wish I had prayed more with my older girls when they were small, although they went to Catholic High School, which I've always felt was a good choice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2013 11:59PM by KidRaw.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 01, 2013 07:43PM

When you talk about obsessions, is that ever a good thing? It's like this--preference or addition. If you are obsessed, that implies that you cannot imagine not having or doing something. However, you can prefer to do something or like to do something. The intensity becomes the issue.

Linking it to greed? Are you the type that says mine, mine, mine? If you are against helping others and just into satisfying your own desires, then I suppose you could say it's a form of greed.

Why do you ask? Are you feel greedy lately? winking smiley

Date: March 01, 2013 08:14PM

Maybe obsession is the wrong word. I think it's the same for most people. It's when you're 'into' something, when you have an interest, a hobby, etc. Like years ago, I was interested in Crystals/crystal healing. So I researched to find out all about all kinds of crystals and I bought or wanted to buy all kinds of crystals possible. I wanted every kind of crystal there was because I loved crystals. Crystal Necklaces, etc., and learning the properties of each crystal and using them for healing.

So is that 'greed' because you're interested in something and want to find out everything there is about it and you want to 'collect' all you can of that thing. I don't think it's greed, so I call it obsession. But collectors of stamps, coins, antiques do the same thing. I'll have to look up what it means to be a 'collector'.

No, I'm not the type that says 'mine'. I've never been stingy, but I am the type that can't get rid of anything - I can't throw anything out. I'll be the go-to person when the SHTF because of all my stuff.

And I do like to help others - especially with their health. Although if someone wanted me to help them clean their house, I wouldn't like to help them smiling smiley

I love it when I'm obsessed with something or interested in something. I feel sorry for people who have no interests to take up their time.

But one of the seven deadly sins I'm glad I don't have, and I have a hard time understanding it in other people. is Envy. I've never envied anyone that I know of. If people are better than I am or have more 'stuff' or money or a nicer house or whatever, I just feel like I'm happy for them, more power to them. I know a couple people who are envious and it's weird when you have a friend or acquaintance who is like that. They see that someone else has better stuff or a better situation or whatever and they're like 'where did they get all their money', 'how did he get to be the manager', 'why does she think she's so great looking', etc.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 01, 2013 10:19PM

That's good, Kid Raw. I think you have said before that you have a comfortable life and the fact that you have never envied someone shows that you don't have a grasping mentality. That is really the difference between greed and what you describe. Greed is wanting not only what you have (especially if you have a lot) but also wanting what others have. For instance, even a wealthy person can be covetous even though they could afford to have what someone else has. If you were in a business situation and cheated to get one over on someone else, that would qualify as greed, IMO.

Posted by: HH ()
Date: March 02, 2013 05:07PM

I've never been the jealous type either. No, I don't think that being interested in something is greedy. Materializing that interest is very American. I believe that we're trained to consume to the point where we get dopamine rushes every time a purchase gets ringed up. I know that this is the case with me. I'm not kidding when I tell you that when I find a package from Amazon on my front stoop, I experience a sort of euphoria that's mildly post-coital. This tells me that there's somethig missing from my life if I need to get that rush from being a shopaholic. I find that meditation helps with this quite a bit. Also, community sevice, but that's just me.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 02, 2013 06:17PM

With health it can be different, i don't feel its greedy to want to feel healthy. Every human and animal for that matter should have the basic right to want to feel healthy and in turn be happy, because lets face it a healthy individual is a happy individual.

I will say though keep your dollar close to your pocket, herbs and supplements should be tailored to an individuals needs and are most useful to those with existing health problems. Not that there aren't many great general tonic herbs and adaptogens etc, but what im saying is don't go too crazy and become addicted to purchasing supplements.

Ive been there and partly this was out of sheer desperation because i would have tried anything to help my problems. I blew over 30k on trying random misdirected supplements which would have been better spent on either finding a professional or at the last lab tests, as you can imagine i now have a decent gauge on what supplements work and what don't lol.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2013 06:17PM by powerlifer.

Date: March 04, 2013 03:39PM

I think jealousy and envy are two different things.

So I was just looking them up and this explains it --

[en.wikipedia.org]

"Jealousy is an emotion and typically refers to the negative thoughts and feelings of insecurity, fear, and anxiety over an anticipated loss of something that the person values, particularly in reference to a human connection. Jealousy often consists of a combination of presenting emotions such as anger, resentment, inadequacy, helplessness and disgust. In the original broad meaning used in this article, jealousy is distinct from envy, though the two terms have popularly become synonymous in the English language, with both now taking on the narrower definition originally used for envy alone.

Jealousy is a familiar experience in human relationships. It has been observed in infants five months and older. Some claim that jealousy is seen in every culture; however, others claim jealousy is a culture-specific phenomenon.

Jealousy is often reinforced as a series of particularly strong emotions and constructed as a universal human experience"

When I was young, if I was in love with someone, I was the jealous type. Being jealous is the pits. I think most people are jealous at some time or another when they're 'in love'.

But envy is different - that's when you resent someone else having or being something desirable.

Here's a good definition of Envy -

[education.yahoo.com]

"A feeling of discontent and resentment aroused by and in conjunction with desire for the possessions or qualities of another."

"Begrudge" is another word for an emotion that's similar to envy.

[dictionary.reference.com]

to envy or resent the pleasure or good fortune of (someone): She begrudged her friend the award.

to be reluctant to give, grant, or allow: She did not begrudge the money spent on her children's education.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables