Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

An incredible swimming feat!
Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: September 02, 2013 02:28PM

[news.yahoo.com]

"With her lips and tongue swollen, U.S. endurance swimmer Diana Nyad edged closer to Florida on Monday in her attempt to become the first person to swim the treacherous waters from Cuba to Key West without a shark cage..."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: An incredible swimming feat!
Date: September 02, 2013 02:49PM

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: September 02, 2013 03:16PM

I was shocked to read that she's 64 years old! I never did understand why people do all those outlandish dangerous physical feats,(they get a thrill out of it, they get attention) but to each his own.

Edit: I want to clarify before you guys start calling me names smiling smiley Emphasis on the word "Dangerous".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2013 03:23PM by KidRaw.

Date: September 02, 2013 03:38PM

>
> Edit: I want to clarify before you guys start
> calling me names smiling smiley Emphasis on the word
> "Dangerous".

lol! I deserved that! smiling smiley

She has been doing distance open water swims like this for over 20 years. She's the best!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 02, 2013 03:41PM

Amazing. Not something I would ever do myself which makes it all the more fantastic and interesting. I love that she's 64. That's how old my mama is and she's a real water baby too. First person to swim in the lake in the spring, last one to stop in the fall. Crazy about the water. It's a neat character trait.

Date: September 02, 2013 05:59PM

She made it!!!!!

I just read that this was her 5th attempt. The first try was 35 years ago.

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: September 02, 2013 06:06PM

YEA!!! That's an amazing feat - 110 miles!

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:29PM

This is a big story on the news today - on the radio and Fox breaking news.

Posted by: HH ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:58PM

Swimming that many miles in natural waters at the age of 64 really is an incredible feat. I wonder how many running miles that equates to. Would like to hear about her diet too.

Date: September 02, 2013 08:12PM

<<<I wonder how many running miles that equates to. Would like to hear about her diet too.>>>

I was thinking the exact same thing. When they do a Triathlon, are those three legs anyhow related?

The first thing I noticed in the picture was that she had a lot more excess fat than I was expecting, but I can sure see why the extra fat could be used to keep her afloat and provide most of the fuel she would need since 90% of our calories that we burn after 1 hour of aerobic activity is fat provided the intensity level is not too high.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 02, 2013 08:38PM

That fat would keep her warmer in cold water as well. I am slender and get chilly easily, I feel better (warmer) when I have a couple of extra pounds insulating me I suppose. Though my mom lost 35 lbs over the past year and a bit on weight watchers and still hardly seems to feel the cold at all so who knows. Mind over matter in her case perhaps.

Date: September 02, 2013 10:39PM

<<<That fat would keep her warmer in cold water as well.>>>

I meant to say that also, but I got distracted. I'm sure she knew what she was doing since this wasn't her first attempt and I wish I had the smile she has on her face now. I wonder if she's still awake - that's a long time to be swimming so you know she's tired and if she's sleeping, I bet she's still smiling. smiling smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 02, 2013 11:47PM

so this is her speech in tedx "crossing borders"

i like the part where she is singing the janis joplin song in 4/4/ time keeping time like a metronome for 8 hours and 45 minutes

that was great ! smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

awesome message... the jellyfish, sharks and roiling eddies she speaks about are all the dangers ( we are surrounded by them ) that surrounds everyone's life but to have passion and zeal in still reaching one's destination and enjoying every moment

wonderful!

Date: September 03, 2013 05:56AM

Inspiring video! Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables