Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Are most jobs worthwhile..?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 11, 2009 01:09AM

IMO no they're not, the vast majority of them. I don't think they're worth the freedom and humanity of human beings. Neither are they worth the petrol it takes to go to them.

What are they doing? What are they achieving? Nothing...

95%+ of government/healthcare jobs as we all(?) know are a ridiculous waste of time and completely useless. They don't achieve anything.

The jobs worthwhile are nearly always something that actually *produces* something. Such as engineering jobs. In the end... we may need space exploration to get humanity off this planet if it's going to be destroyed (almost definitely by ourselves).

Some other services jobs can be worthwhile as well, definitely. Doing a service for someone is like providing for them. You're producing something. By all means, let's drop the ones that we don't need of those as well.

See people have the wrong attitude about all of this I think. Automated checkouts aren't doing cashiers out of their livelihoods.... they're doing them a favour by doing the thing automatically. The cashiers should be allowed to stay at home and still get paid. Everybody wins if technology is used in the right way.

We don't "need more jobs". Jobs are a BAD thing. If you can't figure out how to live without a job, or need a job to feel like a "contributing member of society", then that's your own problem! The government gives itself a pat on the back every time they create new jobs... that's ridiculous!

Just like artificial foods mess up our bodily systems so bad, so do artificial jobs and things that just aren't natural. I can't help but reach the conclusion that jobs act as a replacement for going out foraging and things like that. People need them to feel valuable, to feel worthwhile. Nevermind the fact that they're not really helping anyone in any way.

But government jobs where people just sit at meetings and do stupid things...? *huge thumbs down*. Biochemical jobs and big pharma jobs that prey on the naive? *huge thumbs down* Even something like prostitution is better (not to offend anyone), because it produces something that some people really want/need. Haircutting is another amenity which we need. Designer clothes? Jewellary? GET OUT OF TOWN!

Electronics, tvs, books, I think they're all really superb as well. The best thing is that they help us to communicate. Even tiny little organisms communicate with each other for their own benefit. Bigger animals communicate by showing signs of submission, showing aggressive signs, grooming etc. Communication can definitely be a good thing... IMO this type of communication is more optimal than communicating by mouth in a lot of respects. There's a lot of baggage with communicating orally, it may be more fun and have more feeling to it, but I personally don't believe it's optimal.

So I think that the only jobs that are legitimate are the ones that produce things we need: food and water are extremely good ones...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2009 01:22AM by SuperInfinity.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are most jobs worthwhile..?
Date: August 11, 2009 02:07AM

ART! creating art is a worthwhile job. research (some of it anyhow), teaching kids, taking care of other human beings (midwives, the way they used to be, non-traditional medicine, allopathic doctors for surgeries and neccessary medical attention. hey, kids are gonna break arms even in paradise). specializing in something is helpful, not everyone can be great at everything, you'd never get a chance to rest! it's good if there are valuable trades being taught, how to build houses, how to clean water, how to grow crops. but i do agree that everyone should be responsible for their own selves and know how to do the basics that our pioneer forefathers did. they lived incredibly hard lives though, died young. we could use technology to have lives of leisure pursuing what it is that we are naturally good at and enjoy. if only people weren't so greedy, having to have so much, feeding the production machine, making waste of the planet, causing suffering. ah well, we can start with ourselves.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: August 11, 2009 02:24AM

Oh boy!!!
Great thread.
I dont work.
I live on inheritance money.One million of the smakeroonies.
But no,when you look at the big picture,most jobs arent accomplishing a thing.
Excuse me,I have to go meditate in the sun now.

Vinnie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2009 02:25AM by eaglefly.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: August 11, 2009 02:54AM

Music and art are always worthwhile and rewarding jobs. And working for non-profits, where you're performing some kind of genuine service and working for people who are not totally profit-driven automatons can be rewarding too.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: August 11, 2009 03:42AM

Yeah... I definitely meant art as well, in all its forms (although what one considers art might differ!!!). I should have included it specifically.

Especially any type of art that opens your mind to a new perspective and a new way of thinking. smiling smiley What an incredibly dull world we would live in without art, I believe art fixes some of the things civilization has taken away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2009 03:43AM by SuperInfinity.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 11, 2009 06:54AM

so .. vinny .. how you dooooin' winking smiley *wink wink*

lol im kidding smiling smiley

and no most jobs arent worthwhile to most people winking smiley problem is most jobs could be but it seems all the wrong people are doing all the wrong jobs for all the wrong reasons smiling smiley

case in point .. myself winking smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: August 11, 2009 02:43PM

I guess the jobs are worthwhile to the folks making the money.

I will have to agree that anything related to the arts is surely worthwhile,whether you make money from it or not.

Vinny

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 13, 2009 09:04AM

if u are an artist
u MUST express

otherwise
it will be like being a flower without any water

or a gardenia unable to exude any fragrance

hope you are gobsmacked filled with gold coins from good exprressingsmiling smiley

Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 13, 2009 04:46PM

My job is EXTREMELY worthwhile to me and to many others. I am in the service industry. I love my job.

Date: August 13, 2009 05:45PM

Hi Molli,

That is very good to hear (smilesmiling smiley

I am happy to hear whenever someone is happy with whatever they are doing.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: August 13, 2009 11:18PM

>My job is EXTREMELY worthwhile to me and to many others. I am in the service industry. I love my job.<

Bless you Molli; I'm sure you're a blessing to those you serve, too.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: August 14, 2009 01:22AM

Molli Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My job is EXTREMELY worthwhile to me and to many
> others. I am in the service industry. I love my
> job.

i WISH i could have this attitude about a job but unfortunately i hate them all, they suck. i feel like i'm whoring myself out when i work in the service industry and the rest of it is boring, tedious, soul sucking crap. wouldn't it be nice to have a job that you love, that you like, that you feel is contributing something good? oh, and without the drama of petty co-workers and their issues too. that's my favourite part of employment. tongue sticking out smiley

you know what i dislike about a J.O.B. so much? i feel like i have incredible life skills that are hardly ever utilized. my creativity, ability to make food, knowledge of health, kid stuff, gardening and enthusiasm for nature, making things, learning stuff. i am meant to be a homesteader but that's, unfortunately, not a job so far in my life. le sigh.

Date: August 17, 2009 03:33AM

IMO no they're not, the vast majority of them. I don't think they're worth the freedom and humanity of human beings. Neither are they worth the petrol it takes to go to them.
I agree.

I think the most noble workers are scientists. Independent ones who are in the service of mankind. The artists may create the vision but scientists make it happen. If humans are to survive we'll need them both working in harmony.

Date: August 17, 2009 05:57PM

communitybuilder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> IMO no they're not, the vast majority of them. I
> don't think they're worth the freedom and humanity
> of human beings. Neither are they worth the petrol
> it takes to go to them.
> I agree.
>
> I think the most noble workers are scientists.
> Independent ones who are in the service of
> mankind. The artists may create the vision but
> scientists make it happen. If humans are to
> survive we'll need them both working in harmony.

Scientists? hmm... sometimes they are I suppose. But how often do you hear things like "scientists say..." and then a huge load of damaging lies? (particularly with regard to nutrition/health). Many so-called scientists don't produce anything worthwhile at all but are paid huge amounts of money, and they can cause tremendous damage someteims.

Science in its true form and used in the right way is a wonderful thing. Unfortunately that's not how it works for the vast majority of the time, especially in healthcare.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 17, 2009 08:12PM

SuperInfinity,

I have long suspected that the vast majority of scientists are quoted out of context, research result-wise, and can't do anything about it.

As for most jobs being worthwhile, I say anything that edifies a society is worthwhile, and anything that ethically abets anything that edifies a society is worthwhile. For instance, it bothers me that special needs tutors are paid a pittance and a basketball player gets millions for a small amount of recreational exertion a few times a week, a few months a year. But that athlete could conceivably use his earnings to establish a special needs recreation center in his old neighborhood.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: August 19, 2009 12:16PM

:aV --
"if u are an artist
u MUST express

otherwise
it will be like being a flower without any water

or a gardenia unable to exude any fragrance"

So true!!!

I wish someone would pay me to do art. I'm not very good at marketing myself.

Date: August 20, 2009 05:02AM

its a courageous act to market oneself

either that

or its folly to do so

its one or the other

that's all i know

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables