Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
holy crap my moms med list
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 04, 2010 05:59AM

ive started reading what some of this stuff does and its not a wonder why she has chronic diareah , cronic upset stomach, chronic zombie like behavior, this just boggles my mind !

1mg Lorazepam 3x a day - also known as Ativan
7.5mg Zopiclone 1x a day - sleeping pill i think
10mg Metoclopramide 3x a day - for upset stomach
200mg Amiodarone 1/2 a day - no idea what this is for?
50mg Atenolol 1x a day - no idea what this is for?
20mg Citalopram 2x a day - no idea what this is for?
.25mg Clonazepam 2x a day - no idea what this is for>
1mg Prednisone 4x a day - steroid i think?
150mg Ranitidine 2x a day - no idea what this is for?
500mg Calcium Carbonate 2x a day - calcium supplement
1000iu Vitamin D 1x a day - D supplement
10mg Nitrazepam 1x a day - another sleeping pill
4mg Coversyl 1x a day - no idea what this is

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: holy crap my moms med list
Posted by: Trive ()
Date: March 04, 2010 06:44AM

Whew! I am overwhelmed just reading the list.

It is so sad that the medical establishment is so out of control and that we have so little influence on it. Illness-based instead of health-based, etc., etc., etc. Your mother is so fortunate to have you as an advocate.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: March 04, 2010 11:59AM

My mom (age 79) has a list about that long, except her list includes thyroid & diabetics meds...

I took her to a Naturalpath doctor back in 2000, & he told her he could get her off ALL of the meds if she would follow the diet/lifestyle change he recommended for her.

That lasted about a week....I give up...change has to come from within a person who wants to change.

Some folks are very comfortable downing tons of meds so they can complain about their various ills & the high cost of medicine...oh yeah I forgot - the Government is about to fix all for us that so's that we can get all the drugs we want for free!

Sorry, I really don't mean to come across harsh, but it's just that I am so fed up with the medical system & members of my own family that are enslaved by it.

My brother-in-law, 43, is on about a 1/2 dozen meds & just had his gall bladder removed...at age 43?!?!?

Jodi...if your mom is willing to listen to reason, get her to a naturalpath/homeopath so he/she can get her on the right track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2010 12:00PM by juicerkatz.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: March 04, 2010 02:47PM

This is the sad state of things.
And it has been going on for years.
My grandmother,back in 1994,was on so many meds,alot of them sedatives,that my whole family thinks its what did her in.
She was found passed out a few times,because she confused her BP meds with the sedatives.And her doctor,one of the directors of the hospital,said"thats life".
I firmly believe that meds are doing humans in,and its the lucky person who has gotten the spark,or gift,or blessing, to go another direction.

Oh,to clean out the body,and replace all the toxins with pure raw living elements,and to sit and pray and meditate......

Vinny

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2010 02:51PM by eaglefly.

Date: March 04, 2010 03:46PM

yea i hear ya guys , its like were being drugged to death

after looking some of them up it seems a few contradict each other , like one of the above pills is supporsed to make the stomach empty quicker and one of the pills increases stomach acid ... huh? LOL

Date: March 04, 2010 06:57PM

To echo what Vinny posted -

my mom has an occasional very woozy or dizzy feeling. I know that can be attributed to blood sugar levels/low blood pressure being out of whack. And from what? The drugs, no less...

Jodi, you are correct -

the drugs do counteract with each other & ultimately worse, counteract with this well oiled/well functioning machine of ours, which was not intended to be bombarded with *healing* chemicals...

Is you mom willing to get better through natural means?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 05, 2010 02:11AM

Jodi, dear,

Please ask your mother's doctors why, why she need be on so very many sedatives, beta blockers, etc. The only things that are relatively risk free are the supplements, but the Vitamin D isn't even a therapeutic dose[sigh].

This is what is referred to as "drug cascade;" each thing you list is followed by things that manage the first thing's side effects. IMO, if her quality of life is worse on these things, the doctor needs to explain what the point is.

Date: March 06, 2010 03:14AM

i think i have to adress each pill adn what it is for and see if i cant at least get it all cut down some , eventually to little or none .. shes always in this drug induced zombie state and it freaks me out :/

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: March 06, 2010 11:19PM

I don't know what all of them are, but I do know Prednisone is deadly stuff.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: March 09, 2010 12:31PM

ok score one for me , i went to her doctor today and asked him about the symptoms of the Amiodarone as she has having eyesight issues and I asked him if it could be related as her close up vision has deterioated since i got here ! (2months)

*insert pause here ...*

he said ..hmm im not even sure why she is on it .. she has no history of heart problems ..

*insert another long pause here*

im uh ..what?!

in short im totally disgusted with how my mom can be on drugs that arent even meant for her , looking back he said it looks like she was mistakenly put on it in the hospital and it just carried on from there.

OH .. MY .. GOD

so now she off that one and he has agreed to taper off her Preddnisone (thanks sharrhan for pointing me that way) over the next 3 weeks untill she is off it completely

ok so score TWO for me .. !

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: March 10, 2010 01:40AM

One at a time..eventually it may be all of them! Have some holistic things ready if she complains of something..then have her try the natural remedies first. Herbal teas and great..lots of those...peppermint for tummy upset, etc..

Love,
Prism

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: March 10, 2010 07:32PM

Woohoo! Way to go, Jodi. I hope your mom sees improved health on her new regimen.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: March 11, 2010 02:42AM

That's such great news, Jodi!

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: April 17, 2010 01:51AM

50mg Atenolol 1x a day - no idea what this is for?
beta blocker for high blood pressure

20mg Citalopram 2x a day - no idea what this is for?
antidepressant

.25mg Clonazepam 2x a day - no idea what this is for>
antianxiety

1mg Prednisone 4x a day - steroid i think?
yes

150mg Ranitidine 2x a day - no idea what this is for?
antiacid

4mg Coversyl 1x a day - no idea what this is
high blood pressure

---

A lot of this could be eliminated with exercise and proper diet.

But alas not all.

I, too, am taking an antianxiety drug M-F for my job, but I go "solo" on weekends.

I wish there was something you could say or do to get her out of her rut and on the good path. But it has to come from within.

Chronic depression is a beast, and it's not her fault or something she can "snap out of." I exercise and I eat right but I still have it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2010 01:52AM by arugula.

Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: April 18, 2010 07:46PM

also our med list-Drugs in our drinking water - doesn't this sound scary? It is indeed even scarier than it sounds. Consuming such water not only causes serious health issues, it can even prove lethal!

Let us try to gather the truth about drugs found in US drinking water.

In a recent study, the drinking water samples from 24 major metropolitans were taken and tested for drugs. To everyone's surprise, most of the tests were positive. California, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Washington DC, New Jersey, Arizona were the top areas having drugs in our drinking water.

This water typically had mood stabilizers, anti anxiety, anti-cholesterol, anti-inflammatory and various other drugs used to treat pain, infection, asthma, epilepsy and heart conditions.

The presence of these drugs in our drinking water is a serious indicator of the risk that we are at.

These drugs are unknowingly added to the water by the people who are on medication and need to consume these drugs. When they excrete, whatever the body can not absorb - the drugs and their metabolized by-products, gets added to the sewerage. Some of these drugs do not get removed even when they are treated and recycled by the water companies.

The environment protection agencies are taking this very seriously and will definitely come up with an effective solution. But this may take a long time.

Would it be wise to continue consuming this water knowing that there are various deadly drugs in our drinking water?

Though the concentration in which they are present is less and within limits, the continued consumption of such water can lead to various health ailments. This is indeed serious and due care should be taken up as soon as possible.

The best and easy way to prevent yourself from consuming drugs in the water is by employing a home water purification system.

Make sure that whatever purifier you select, it is capable of removing all organic, inorganic contaminants as well as drugs in drinking water. There are purifiers which use multiple stages of filtration; they are acclaimed to be the best in removing the drugs and other contaminants.

Unlike reverse osmosis based water purifiers which fail to remove drugs from water, these purifiers efficiently remove all sorts of impurities. Thus produce water which is fresh, clean, pure and most importantly safe.

Now that you know about the risk of having drugs in our drinking water and how to prevent the risk, it is time for you to take the decision. Look out for a way to efficiently remove all these deadly drugs from your water

Date: April 18, 2010 08:23PM

Great info., riverhousebill.

It amazes me that folks still drink water from an unfiltered tap...

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 19, 2010 07:24PM

I wonder what the water in the UK is like - especially in the rural areas - better maybe??

Hmm - just had a google and found this straight away [www.telegraph.co.uk]

How do you know that a home purifier can get all the drugs out of the water - so many things are just a racket.? And if it can would you please give me a link so that I can read the blurb for myself - I guess they don't come cheap!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2010 07:29PM by flipperjan.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 23, 2010 12:05AM

Yikes! Aren't those ones ending in 'pam' all types of tranqs (like Valium and Xanax)?

The doctors who prescribe multiple drugs should be ashamed of themselves...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 23, 2010 02:08AM

flipperjan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> How do you know that a home purifier can get all
> the drugs out of the water - so many things are
> just a racket.? And if it can would you please
> give me a link so that I can read the blurb for
> myself - I guess they don't come cheap!!

I don't know how to figure this out either. I can't afford a crazy expensive system, right now we just use a brita, but I want something I can rely on to remove this crap for myself and the kids.

Date: April 23, 2010 06:51PM

Business Is Booming for Antidepressants – Economy to Blame?
Four million more prescriptions for antidepressants were written for Americans in 2008 than in 2007.

© Shutterstock

The economy has been a bit depressed lately, and apparently more people are feeling down, as well.

The Washington Post reports that about 164 million antidepressant prescriptions were written in 2008 — four million more than in 2007, according to health-care information and consulting company IMS Health. In fact, antidepressants, which include Cymbalta, Effexor and others, were the third most prescribed type of drug that year, earning manufacturers $9.6 billion in sales. Whether the bad economy is to blame for increased feelings of sadness and helplessness, we don’t know — but certainly more people were looking for drugs to combat those feelings. Another figure that may further depress the general population is that, from 1996 to 2005, use of these types of drugs has doubled in the United States. This doesn’t bode well for the individual or business: People who are depressed tend to take more days off and might find it hard to get their work done, costing the economy money.

Drinking water for cities - Water: Our source of life. Info on Siemens Drinking water treatment! - www.usa.siemens.com/water

Hundreds of active pharmaceutical ingredients are used in a variety of manufacturing, including drugmaking: For example, lithium is used to make ceramics and treat bipolar disorder; nitroglycerin is a heart drug and also used in explosives; copper shows up in everything from pipes to contraceptives.

Federal and industry officials say they don't know the extent to which pharmaceuticals are released by U.S. manufacturers because no one tracks them - as drugs. But a close analysis of 20 years of federal records found that, in fact, the government unintentionally keeps data on a few, allowing a glimpse of the pharmaceuticals coming from factories.

As part of its ongoing PharmaWater investigation about trace concentrations of pharmaceuticals in drinking water, AP identified 22 compounds that show up on two lists: the EPA monitors them as industrial chemicals that are released into rivers, lakes and other bodies of water under federal pollution laws, while the Food and Drug Administration classifies them as active pharmaceutical ingredients.

The data don't show precisely how much of the 271 million pounds comes from drugmakers versus other manufacturers; also, the figure is a massive undercount because of the limited federal government tracking.

To date, drugmakers have dismissed the suggestion that their manufacturing contributes significantly to what's being found in water. Federal drug and water regulators agree.

But some researchers say the lack of required testing amounts to a 'don't ask, don't tell' policy about whether drugmakers are contributing to water pollution.

"It doesn't pass the straight-face test to say pharmaceutical manufacturers are not emitting any of the compounds they're creating," said Kyla Bennett, who spent 10 years as an EPA enforcement officer before becoming an ecologist and environmental attorney.

Pilot studies in the U.S. and abroad are now confirming those doubts

DARE TO CLEAN YOUR WATER OF THE 271 MILLION POUNDS! What percent of America is not on drugs???1 2 3 percent???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2010 06:54PM by riverhousebill.

Date: April 24, 2010 12:15AM

flipperjan & coco

Check out the Big Berky filters. We have used this system for over 10 years, you can't beat them. It is the system that is used in disaster relief situations by the Red Cross & other agencies.

Takes up a small amount of space & is easily portable if you move frequently.

They are touted as being able to filter mud puddle or swamp water to clean, fresh drinking water.

[www.bigberkeywaterfilters.com]

The 2 filter element system is sufficient for most families. The black filters are mostly used for municipal system, & the white ceramic ones are more for spring water/well water.

The black filters are considered the best, because they will even eliminate/reduce nitrites/nitrates voc's & much more. Problem is, their pores are too fine for spring or well water & will clog quickly.

We are still purchasing water at the grocery store & then filtering it the black filters, since I don't trust bottled water to be clean. We have spring water, but as I mentioned, it clogs those filters very easily...

Hope that info. helps!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2010 12:16AM by juicerkatz.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 26, 2010 11:41AM

hey coco

BRITA

i give it a thumbs down
same with PUR

i used both once
and got rid of it pronto

worthless
water still tasted like it came out of a dirty sock

Date: April 26, 2010 05:30PM

LOL! Well, I do definately notice a difference in the taste of water I run through the Brita but I'm not sure it's actually doing much beyond that. I'll check out the one you linked to JK, thanks.

Date: April 26, 2010 07:09PM

WILL FILTERS REMOVE PHARMACEUTICALS?

Most filters have not yet been tested to determine if and to what extent drugs will be removed. We also know that people don't like to hear it, but test results can be misleading. Tests are naturally enough done with new filters. The tests normally often don't indicate how long that level of filtration will last when the filters are put to work. The complex mixtures of drugs present in water are a
new challenge for toxicologssts, Its one water thats for sure!

‘

Date: April 26, 2010 09:19PM

riverhousebill,

Stop it, you're scaring us! lol...

That may be true, but what is a person to do? If they don't get us one way, they will get us another, by poisoning the air we breath, for example. The way I see it, the Berkey is the best thing going for *pure* water...

riverhousebill Wrote:
> WILL FILTERS REMOVE PHARMACEUTICALS?
>
> Most filters have not yet been tested to determine
> if and to what extent drugs will be removed. We
> also know that people don't like to hear it, but
> test results can be misleading. Tests are
> naturally enough done with new filters. The tests
> normally often don't indicate how long that level
> of filtration will last when the filters are put
> to work. The complex mixtures of drugs present
> in water are a
> new challenge for toxicologssts, Its one water
> thats for sure!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ‘

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2010 09:20PM by juicerkatz.

Date: April 26, 2010 10:03PM

I guess this means I am contaminating a garden I water with the hose? I do plan on buying a rain barrel this year but if distillation won't even get pharmas out, how will it NOT be in the rain water? We are totally and utterly screwed here it seems. Even getting our liquid from juicy fruits and veg will not be safe, unless plants have some way of filtering out these things? That might just be a solution. What do you think?

Date: April 26, 2010 10:22PM

coco -

We live in a totally screwed up world, for sure. We can only do so much; I am very disturbed by the way things are going....

I know how you feel...

This is for you...

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

coco Wrote:
> I guess this means I am contaminating a garden I
> water with the hose? I do plan on buying a rain
> barrel this year but if distillation won't even
> get pharmas out, how will it NOT be in the rain
> water? We are totally and utterly screwed here it
> seems. Even getting our liquid from juicy fruits
> and veg will not be safe, unless plants have some
> way of filtering out these things? That might just
> be a solution. What do you think?

Date: April 26, 2010 11:47PM

<3

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 27, 2010 12:04PM

i give up

world is crazy

just go with it

make my body strong

my live will be the filter

same with kidneys

Date: April 28, 2010 12:10AM

juicerkatz Wrote:
> coco -
>
> We live in a totally screwed up world, for sure.
> We can only do so much; I am very disturbed by the
> way things are going....
>
> So much we can do Coco, Its wide open what we can do,
I will post on some thoughts soon. please read Getting A Grip on A
World gone Mad by Leppe, same lady that wrote A diet For A Small Planet,
It will recharge your Batteries, First thing is to dump our Mental Straight
Jackets. Some light at the end of this tunnel Leppes book!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables