Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Culture(s)
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: February 03, 2011 06:58PM

The topic of culture came up in another thread, so its probably better here as it can deal with more than just food, health and nutrition, but its all related. I often feel confused about who exactly I am. Someone was so kind as to inform me that its actually quite common.

I am a mixture of a number of things. My mother is Inupiaq, my father is anglo-american, former air force, and 7th generation LDS. Some of my families closest friends were SDA, which is pretty similiar in someways to LDS. My family is pretty conventional about food, with the exception of avoiding coffee, tobacco, tea, alcohol. I had the fortune in someways that my mother was pretty health centered and made us whole grain breads, and made sure there were balanced meals as far as the convential thought about nutrition went. Things could have been worse.

But there was generally a lot of confusion as to how these competing views came together in my home. Needless to say, the Inupiaq side of the family didn't quite understand the Anglo LDS side, and vice versa. Add military and SDA to the mix...whoa! Confusion!

Well, I am glad for the internet! its helped in a lot of ways to help me sort out the confusion, and see things from a variety of sources. It seems like it would have made things more confusion, but its helped knowing that perhaps everyone is confused! or maybe its just me still. In someways I feel even more separeted and distant from everyone. For instance, I can write about all this to people I don't know, but dare I talk about it to people I know in person?!!

Add to this I recently converted to neopaganism, and I am gay. I know for a fact that almost everything I was raised with goes against those two. But I gotta be me, I am the only person who knows what I need, and who I am...or not...maybe?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Culture(s)
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 03, 2011 07:07PM

Good for you for embracing your true self Mislu, despite your upbringing! That is wonderful to hear <3

As a Canadian I don't have much of a sense of culture either. My mother's family are French/Canadian with this and that mixed in (Irish, Welsh, Metis, who knows what else) and my father's family are Unkranian so I am a mix of those. My children are that and also Portuguese and who knows what else! It's a confusing blend of many cultures for sure. Add to that the fact that Canada has been for generations a nation of peace keepers who have recently entered the fray in terms of world political wars etc and we just don't know what to think of ourselves!

For me paganism or a variation thereof is a way to feel connected to the entire planet, human race, universe, and inner being without division. I am one with all, I belong just as I am, my place is here, wherever here may be, in whatever incarnation and the same goes for all people, beings, collections of matter... It isn't an enormous part of my daily life but it is something that lives always in the back of my mind, pervades my consciousness and defines who I am.

Date: February 05, 2011 03:10PM

Wow, I feel kind of embarassed now.

Date: February 05, 2011 03:23PM

How come? I didn't think what you had to say was embarrassing, I loved reading more about you smiling smiley.

Date: February 05, 2011 03:28PM

I don't know exactly. I guess its because I have always felt out of place.

Date: February 05, 2011 04:12PM

Me too. Embrace it! It's because you are very special <3.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 05, 2011 11:17PM

Mislu,

You are whatever you feel you are. And if you feel out-of-place, make a new one for yourself. Who knows, it may end up being the coolest place in town and everyone will want to go smiling smiley

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 05, 2011 11:36PM

id rather be out of place then in place with everyone else smiling smiley embrace your uniqueness smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: February 06, 2011 01:39PM

Wow, those are fresh perspectives. I hope that these will all become strengths. I think I just have the dark cloud of unemployment overhead, as soon as that clears things will be different.

Date: February 06, 2011 01:55PM

coco,
Its very interesting, recent discussions online have caused me to remember some interesting things. Someone from my mothers village published a book, and I remember reading a legend. Apparently Alaska used to be warm and comfortable. There is the story of the first winter, which was something of a surprise. It came overnight basically and lasted for an incredible length of time. Its like if the Maldives suddenly froze over and it stayed that way for a year.

I used to think it was just stories, but people have found fossils in Alaska with plants that don't grow there now, like redwoods, and certain ferns which can't live in arctic conditions. I have some stuff packed away from moving, I hope that I still have the book, I certainly would like to reread that.

Date: February 08, 2011 01:15PM

Coco,
Where do you find your center? I think that everyone really has a cultural center. After some thought culturally I am basically 'American' with internet, and a little inupiaq mixed in, but mostly 'American' which I am not sure means much.

Date: February 08, 2011 01:24PM

I am Canadian. My mother's family, French, were some of the first settlers in Canada actually so I am Really Canadian! And my father's family (I didn't grow up with him) are Ukrainian but he and his siblings were born here so I didn't see much of their parent's culture aside from food my Grandfather would prepare, perogies and traditional desserts.

I don't feel a particular connection to this country, I am not patriotic or "Proud" of my heritage because here in Canada we don't really have one. Not any more than Americans do I suppose. We are a mish mash of so many different cultures here, and there is the shame of the indigenous people that hangs over us always. The only thing Canadians can really associate with culturally is that we have been a Nation of peace keepers in the world but that has changed under our current conservative government. Things that have had value here, social services and taking care of the poor, having a beautiful, clean, natural environment in most of the country, being a nation of peace, justice, equality, fairness etc, all are eroded to such a degree now that I hardly know what to think of us as a nation. I find myself casting about for something solid to hold on to. That's why I've been focusing lately on learning some new skills, ones that will connect me to the earth itself. Natural building and gardening, yoga, kid activities. I am looking for a new kind of life and I think I'm on the right track but it is requiring a BIG shift in my reality. I'm about to change everything drastically and hopefully for good.

Date: February 08, 2011 03:08PM

coco,

My mother, who wished to move to the Great White North upon becoming pregnant with me but who couldn't convince my rah-rah-U.S.A. dad, always used to say, "The United States is a melting pot, but Canada is a mosaic." It is natural that as technology makes the world contract, there would be fewer distinctions between our two countries. But as an outsider privy to Canadian media, I am increasingly alarmed by how frantic the Americanization of your culture is becoming. Canada does have a culture, or the changes wouldn't be conspicuous. I attribute it to the present regime; they appear to be playing Tony Blair's role vis-a-vis us now that TB is gone, and it's getting harder to distinguish your authoritarians from ours. And that's scary, because it isn't what your country stands for. If not yet then soon, Tommy Douglas will be spinning in his grave . . .

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: February 08, 2011 03:22PM

Im half french canadian, 3/8th's Irish, and the remaining 1.8th is a mix of cherokee and choctah, Im not sure what my culture really is, as I don't relate to the vast majority of american culture, never even been to canada, although I have many friends up there, I don't really relate to anything in my life that one could consider a "culture" im the odd duck in the family,lol...

I have Ideals I stand for and believe in, but they rarely match up with most, I am an agnostic theist that believes in Christianity, But because I believe I could always be wrong, (as I not an omniscient being) this puts me at odds with most Christians, both real, and ones who only wear the name... Although what I would define as "real" christians are usually very kind to me in spite of my beliefs being slightly at odds with their base tenant of complete faith... so I don't have much to identify with there...

Its curious to really think about all this and realize I really don't have any defined culture... maybe that's why its always been so difficult for me to find a sense of identity till recently.

oh well, To thine own self be true. I guess...lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: February 08, 2011 04:27PM

Curator,
Wow, thats a rare and precious thing to hear a Christian open the possibility of being wrong about anything.

Date: February 08, 2011 04:31PM

coco,
I never mentioned that my grandmother was born in Canada. I think she stayed there until she was in her late teens or early twenties. She then moved to Salt Lake, and then later sandy utah. Her grandfather moved to Canada to evade federal officials over polygamy.

Date: February 08, 2011 07:58PM

LOL mislu, I think any true christian would be, as even the bible is pretty clear on the fact that we are humans, we are fallible,and its not nice to be a jerk... (I am paraphrasing of course,hahaha) we aren't God, so we cant know really anything for sure, we can just choose to believe, and understand others will believe different, and have just as much chance of being right as we do... for all I know, every religion could be right in its own way, or we could all be wrong!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 10, 2011 05:03PM

I think thats great, I wish more people had that. I just shudder whenever I hear someone that is absolutely sure that there is only one right way, and just exactly what they will do or say to someone who doesn't believe the same way.

Date: February 10, 2011 08:43PM

me too, its...often difficult to communicate with those kind of people...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 12, 2011 09:20PM

Curator, What do you think causes people to take that kind of belief? I have often wondered about it, and sometimes I find it annoying. I live above a deli owner who is a bible fundemenalist. He says he doesn't believe in religion, but in faith. I don't quite yet know the difference, but whatever.

He almost got his power shut down last week because he has had such slow business he doesn't have any money for the power. He paid with a credit card. The snow didn't help, but the place is just incredibly dirty. The food is also a disgrace as far as I am concerned, I know I am being judgemental, but I can see why sales are slow. He is down on the trend towards more vegetarian, and less fat in foods. yet he isn't at all interested in keeping up with trends, to at least make more sales, even if he doesn't agree with them.

He is also running a 'ministry' from the deli, and a few people come by for little mini services every week. Its rather informal, and usually its just 2 or 3 people. I often wondered about the mixing of ministry and deli.

I listend to some CDs he recorded, he said he was going to publish a book. Its pretty much him rambling about his experiences, various 'miracles' that happened in association with the store. I am not so impressed, as they didn't sound like miracles at all to me. He is certain that god will take care of him, as he is doing his work out of the deli. I didn't say it to his face, but he looked rather shaky and fearful when he said that. I did tell my partner that he sure has a lot of faith. As to me it looked like the store is about to close up, like its on its last legs. I could be surprised, as he did say that in prior desperate times he did have envelopes with hundreds of dollars appear under the door. I am wondering where exactly that came from. What do you think?

Date: February 12, 2011 11:22PM

Ive found the people who preach the most about faith, are those who have the least... its like they are trying to convince themselves more than anything else...

The difference between religion and faith, in my opinion, is religion is more legalistic and literal, and often, more a social thing in this country, where as faith is more about belief and what you feel, for me personally, I put more importance on relationship with my concept of God, and mirroring that love and hope and kindness to people around me, if able... I'm no Jesus, so the whole loving everyone unconditionally thing is rather difficult for me,lol...but I try, although I Attempt to not allow it to get to a point in which doing so would be harmful to me.

My Personal belief is that God or whatever one wants to call it, helps those who help their selves... people who work for that change they need, who are open to the help as well... many people want help, but are not open to it, or want help, but only on their terms... I think thats a problem a lot of people have (myself included at times) you want help, but reject consciously or unconsciously what is offered because its not the type of help you specifically want... Maybe what God is telling this man, is that the Deli business is not for him... or maybe that he should concentrate on providing a higher quality product and a clean environment... but the man is not open to what God, the universe, and common sense, is trying to tell him... Chances are if you tell him anything like this however, he will most likely not take it very well.

As far as the money appearing, that could be God trying to help him out by moving some richer people to pity his plight and help out, or the people could have made that decision their selves to do so, or maybe a family member...no way to really know for sure.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 13, 2011 02:11PM

Curator,
Wow great response. I noticed that this threatened shut off has prompted some changes. It looked like he gave the floors a good scrubbing, and the whole place looked like 50% brighter. So he is responding. Maybe he set down the microphone for a minute and thought maybe I need to buff the floor. Hes like 72-75, and looks like he has some health issues, that doesn't help. But I think he is trying to change.

Yes, I thought about stating the obvious to him, but I have stopped myself because I am sure he would take offense or feel burt. Its better actually to let him figure it out. I did say that I worried about him. Its amazing to me because I don't even try to have unconditional love, but I guess I really have it.

Well, I have my own worries, I will have to digest what other things you have said in general. Thank you.

Date: February 13, 2011 11:14PM

yw ^_^ I always enjoy having good discussions about spiritual beliefs, preferably ones like this, that involve sharing, and not arguing...lol

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 17, 2011 03:22PM

Curator,
I am so shocked. There is one thing I never mentioned about the Deli owner downstairs. He has this growth on the side of his head that seeps fluid. I guess he had a mishap changing the bandage today. I could see blood under the band aid, and blood in his ear. I had the sinking feeling that the stress is getting to him, and probably causing his health problems to accelerate. My first thought today was that he might not be here for very much longer.

Date: February 17, 2011 04:12PM

Mislu,

God Almighty, that is awful. I am beginning to think of the deli owner as a sort of Job figure. Please continue to show him kindness; it appears to be helping him in his deep running despair.

Date: February 17, 2011 07:58PM

holy cow... DX that growth does not sound kosher... dang...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 18, 2011 01:23PM

Curator,
What is DX? He has had that growth for awhile now. You might be much more than correct about it not being kosher. Quite literally his deli isn't.

Date: February 18, 2011 01:32PM

That's a face. The D is a grimacing frown and the X are squinched up eyes. SOME PEOPLE should share with us where they're getting the big bouncy emoticons so we can all have fun...

Date: February 18, 2011 10:29PM

Aahahaaha, yeah, its like an expression of extreme shock/dismay often used on the imterweb.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: March 28, 2011 05:27PM

Hey Mislu, a friend forwarded this to me and I thought you might find it interesting.
She says "where I can watch all my obscure films from Inuit, Tlingit, Mongolian, etc. direcors FOR FREE."
The link it to her favourites.
[www.isuma.tv]

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables