Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Juicing For The Homeless
Posted by: Dawsondee ()
Date: August 18, 2011 11:37PM

Hi everyone,

Please sign up and vote for the "Juicing for the Homeless" project to win $50,000! The juicing tour is being organized by The Give Project charity. More details and a short video are available at the link below.

[www.refresheverything.com]

I hope this hasn't already been posted (I did a search and didn't see it listed). Sorry if this is a repeat!

Dee :-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Juicing For The Homeless
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 19, 2011 12:21AM

Good luck--it's a great cause! I am pretty sure there's something at Arnolds Way's YouTube channel about a Philly woman who tried this smiling smiley

Date: August 19, 2011 02:50PM

OMG, I can't help but wonder how this initiative, well-intentioned as it is, is going to play out to mainstream sensibilities -- including that of the homeless themselves. Sure some will be appreciative, but may I say that as a former homeless person myself, it will smack of airheaded do-goodism, if not something more sinister.

I mean, in NYC in the '90s, just as they were getting into a rhythm with the budgetary cutbacks, we had like two small kiddie-sized boxes of cereal for breakfast, in addition to a cheese sandwich or something and a piece of fruit. Oh, and a little kiddie-sized carton of juice, plus a pint of milk for the cereal. That's it! That was breakfast. Lunch was about the same. Dinner was the same. Everything kiddie-sized, in the manner of an elementary school meal.

So the last thing a homeless person wants is vegetable juice. It will feel real cheap, no matter how much you extol the "health benefits." Okay, maybe some fatso diabetic (I say that affectionately, believe it or not) in a wheelchair can do with more veggies. But what I'm saying is that this juicing-for-the-homeless initiative is likely to be seen as misguided elitism at best: instead of "let them eat cake" it's "let them drink juice!"

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 19, 2011 08:28PM

I have never been homeless, and I suppose it influences one's perspective. I should think that the average, socially attuned homeless person would at least appreciate that someone has gone to the trouble to give them a nutritious drink as opposed to crap bologna sandwiches and chips. And it is far more demeaning, methinks, to be offered child sized gubmint sub convenience foods than to be offered fresh fruit and veggie juice. One says, "I can't be bothered to treat you like a grownup" and the other says, "You deserve First World food, fellow citizen."

By the way, an actual elitist wouldn't bother acknowledging that there is such a thing as homelessness that requires remedying at all!

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 19, 2011 08:36PM

@Juicing: I kind of agree with you, although not that it would feel cheap (because juice ain't cheap!) but people need roofs over their heads. People need shelter that doesn't require them to lie on cots next to strangers and not have at least their own room, let alone an apt. I am glad that someone is thinking of the homeless because I can't claim that I am doing anything about it, but I wonder if they are really in touch with what is needed first and foremost.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables