Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What the heck?
Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: February 15, 2012 04:02PM

I was wondering if anyone here is late 40's,never married,never had kids,and is wondering what the heck to do with their second half of life?
I sure have alot of time for self actualization,but sometimes its too much.
Volunteer work??
Vinny

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What the heck?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 15, 2012 04:10PM

Vinny, have you ever thought of WWOOFing? Great way to travel, meet people, learn about organic farming etc. Shake your life up a little at the very least, see what falls into place winking smiley.

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: February 15, 2012 04:11PM

There's no such thing as Jack Johnson.

Date: February 15, 2012 06:07PM

Coco,
Interesting idea.
But anything I do will have to be very local,as I could never afford to travel.
Hey,just thought of a community garden right in my town of York Pa.
Vinny

Date: February 15, 2012 06:32PM

Vinnie, if you were to keep your home and everything in it you'd certainly need some money to maintain that. If you were to sell off everything, pack a backpack and just go... bus fare is so cheap and there are often ride shares posted online. It's doable, if you really want to try it out.
In the meantime have you thought about getting involved in a local project like theater or an event of some sort? A community garden is a great idea, I love that.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 15, 2012 07:27PM

rawalice,

Quibble: Both boxer Jack Johnson and surfer singer dude Jack Johnson are real, I'm afraid.

Vinny,

There must be something local you could do! How about mentoring some kids?

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: February 16, 2012 12:12AM

community gardens, yes
I also often volunteer ushering for local theaters (plays) and local classical music performances. They are always looking for help.

Posted by: adrian ()
Date: February 16, 2012 12:25AM

yea, mid 40's, never married, no kids...but my problem is i can't find enough time! if you have time enough to pursue other things, this is awesome. i need some kind of life management or something, i can't seem to get this happening.

but what i would do if i could figure out how to pursue things....well is first of course to find clearity on what they are, which are most important...sounds so simple, but it isn't, finacial risks, that's the big one.

so that's my question for you, what do you want to do the most? there's probably many things, what's stopped you? (you don't have to write it if you don't want, just hypothetical questions...it is the things i ask myself but have yet to figure out how on anything!)

and raw food, i've noticed...brings out all areas that i know need change. most frustrating..

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 16, 2012 05:02AM

vinny im 44 , never had kids, been married a few times (oops lol) smiling smiley i know how you are feeling

my only advice is decide what you love and chase it like the devil looking for souls !

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 16, 2012 03:03PM

Jodi, I love you! Everything you write to others resonates with me, too smiling smiley

Date: February 16, 2012 04:41PM

Thanks for all the input.
I realize the enormous amount of time and energy men put into marriages and kids.
And when none of that is there,what do you do?
Then theres the emotional side of it.
Never playing catch on the lawn with a son,or playing tea party with a daughter.
Maybe I have been spared from something that would never have turned out right for me? Who knows.Because I also know all the heartache that goes along with it.
You cant miss what you never had.
Ok,enough analyzing .

The big thing I am doing now is getting into playing the drums.Its a dream I had as a kid and never did anything with it,and now I have a set and put at least an hour a day into it.

Vinny

Date: February 16, 2012 04:57PM

Vinny, Big Brothers are ALWAYS needed you know. No reason you can't play catch on the lawn with a boy who really needs a male figure in his life smiling smiley. Maybe he'll be into music too, you could be a great influence and an awesome inspiration to somebody young.

Date: February 16, 2012 06:20PM

Coco,
Big Brothers is a great idea.I have thought of it for years.
Unfortunately,due to some things in my past,I dont think I could pass a backround check ,or work in retail.
Oh well.
Shamey on me.
Vinny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2012 06:21PM by eaglefly.

Date: February 16, 2012 06:42PM

Hmm... is it worth it to seek an official pardon for whatever is in your past?
You could get involved in a church group possibly? They may be more forgiving of past "sins". At the very least that might be a good place to inquire about pardons as well as community groups that need volunteers. Church groups sometimes run community gardens too, that's where we had a plot one time. It was so cool but they could have used some help keeping things on track. Sometimes there would be more than half the plots empty but for weeds.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: February 16, 2012 11:00PM

I am in mid 40's and never married, no children. I am currently in an allied health program. Technically I don't have any time to post anything. I am doing clinical, very intense. But I feel like I would go crazy without a little living foods, and a few other select webpages. I feel like a teenager in alot of ways, like I am just discovering myself. I really felt like a new person today, because I am really starting to love what I am doing, I don't think I ever felt that before.

Date: February 16, 2012 11:21PM

I'm so glad you stuck it out Mislu. I just have this feeling that you'll be great at whatever you end up doing with this experience.

Vinny, would you consider going back to school for something, or taking some part time classes? If I wasn't so busy with the kids I'd love to take classes, all sorts of classes.

Date: February 16, 2012 11:37PM

hey cool beans vinny on the drums ! i just started saxaphone lessons! cool huh? grinning smiley i pity my neighbors lol

Date: February 17, 2012 03:29PM

Jodi,
Ohhh saxaphone!
I remember my neighbor friends taking lessons as kids,and some of the sounds that came out of their house.
Thought they were killing geese or something.
The idea of taking classes is a great one.
Fill my mind with learning.
Mislu,I want to be where you are.
To love what I do to the point i dont feel anything missing.

Vinny

Date: February 19, 2012 10:40PM

i like it lots Vinny .. the classes give me some sort of structure and a purpose to get to something once a week which sometimes in my life i lack .. left to my own devices i doubt i would be able to self-learn saxaphone .. i just dont have the inner motivation to whip myself into gettin er' done lol grinning smiley i do however have a bit of spare money enough to pay someone to flog me into practicing ! grinning smiley

plus ive met some cool new peeps that are learning some new instruments ... maybe we wil start a really bad band grinning smiley

Posted by: newhoove ()
Date: February 20, 2012 04:22AM

You can take up skiing! We have alot of ski resorts in our neck of the woods.

P.S. I live about 45 minutes west of you on route 30.

Date: February 22, 2012 02:47AM

Oh my.
I have never skiid in my life.
think i might try something less likely to break a leg

Posted by: cy ()
Date: February 22, 2012 04:57AM

Vinny,Gabriel Cousins is always looking for help on the garden,kitchen,and other work that doesn't pay but you have all the raw food,sauna,meditation,yoga classes..
check him out.
[www.treeoflife.nu]

Date: February 23, 2012 08:28PM

im with you Vinny .. i tried snowboarding 3 years ago .. had alot of fun till an epic wipeout left me crippled for 2 weeks .. it could have been much much worse and served as a warning that i dont heal from hott-dogging nearly like i used too lol!

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 26, 2012 02:39PM

Im 25 and at this point in my life also where im thinking these things. I don't know what i want, i don't know if i want the stereotypical family, kids, i don't think i could handle it. Maybe im still too young for that sort of responsibility.

The only thing people seem to do around here is drink themselves to death at pubs and clubs every day and weekend.

Maybe go travelling, if you dont have anything tieing you down and that interests you ?. Pick up some new hobbbies, martial arts or something.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: February 27, 2012 02:23PM

Powerlifter,
Thanks for your input.
You are still very young.
Lots of time to decide on a family.
I myself dont think I could handle it either.
I am getting so set in my ways at this point too.
I have a wonderful girlfriend and feel fulfilled .
But still LOTS of free time.
I cannot travel due to my budget,so will find local outlets.

Oh,I did the drinkin thing,to oblivion, to forget my lot in life,but that gets real old after a while.Real old.

Vinny

Date: February 27, 2012 02:37PM

I don't think I can handle it either.

Whoops, too late!

LOL!

But seriously, it isn't easy, that's for sure.

Posted by: veganjuice ()
Date: March 12, 2012 10:07AM

eaglefly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was wondering if anyone here is late 40's,never
> married,never had kids,and is wondering what the
> heck to do with their second half of life?
> I sure have alot of time for self
> actualization,but sometimes its too much.
> Volunteer work??
> Vinny

Well...I'm in my 40's married, and have kids...and animals... winking smiley

But, if I were in your shoes I would make plans to take a year off & hike the Appalachian trail. It's always been a dream of mine, but I have too many "irons in the fire" to do it.

You on the other hand - sounds like you're all set for an adventure like this!

Date: March 12, 2012 01:11PM

Thanks.
Hiking sounds like a good possibility.
That trail isnt very far from me either.smiling smiley
Vinny

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 03, 2012 08:47PM

hey eaglefly

mebbe u could try out dancing
u know

samba
flamenco
whatev frequency turns your fancy

its all good
its fun
its a way to get out move and meet some people
and maybe laugh and have a great time

who knows?

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: April 04, 2012 12:43AM

One of the funniest books I've ever read is "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson. I highly recommend it for anyone, but especially anyone thinking of hiking the Appalachian trail. Happy trails, Vinny!

My favorite raw vegan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables