Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

changing one's name
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 28, 2012 12:09PM

I've been musing over the possible signifigance of changing ones name.

I had a friend whose name was Donna and she was known as Dee Dee. She wanted to change her name to Sunshine and tried it for a while but she found it didn't suit her when she wasn't feeling bright and happy - like it was an onerous task to live up to the name Sunshine.

Do you think that changing ones name to something spiritual or particularly meaningful to oneself could help one shift old emotional patterns or help in moving forwards along a desired path in life?

Perhaps names have a particular resonance or energy attached to them which we instinctively like or dislike.

What is the signifigance of a spiritual name - what is a spiritual name compared to any other name.

I'm hoping Prana and Geo might both offer something here and anyone else who is interested of course smiling smiley

I have to say I like my name very much and always have done; it is Philippa by the way

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: changing one's name
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 28, 2012 01:20PM

Philippa is a lovely name smiling smiley.

I was given a spiritual name when I graduated a yoga teacher training course but I doubt I'll ever use it, I didn't choose it after all and frankly it's meaningless to me. It was chosen to reflect what the teachers had gleaned of my personality over 4 weeks so it touches on some aspects of my personality but only very lightly, it doesn't feel personal or significant to me at all.

The names I chose myself for our family do though. I use them happily.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 28, 2012 02:35PM

Aren't most names spiritual names?

In our faith, both the first and middle names should be spiritual, either tied to Christian idioms, or pagan ones. My first name is Tamara, from the Hebrew, Tamar: palm tree. My middle name is Nadia; accented on the second syllable, it means "hope," but in a more metaphysical sense of the word. I used to hate these names--hate them. I don't think I could take a "spiritual" name because it turns out that my given name IS my spiritual name, because of how much "inside" work I had to do, for years, to be at peace with my names and to try to honor their meanings. In my case, I needed to grow into the inherent spirituality of my names.

Agree with coco that Philippa is a lovely name smiling smiley

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 28, 2012 07:26PM

My middle name is Brie. Yes, spelled, like the cheese.

I suppose I have to get really good at making fermented nut cheeses to live up to my name. winking smiley

My fiance and I have been contemplating creating our own last name for when we are married. Of course, the whole family will probably be insulted. But I like the idea of something to reflect the creation of something new... assuming a role as someone committed to living sustainably, with the earth, raising children with a paradigm that won't collapse... etc. We haven't found anything we really like so far, though. =\

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 28, 2012 09:08PM

phantom,

My middle name is Brie. Yes, spelled, like the cheese.

LOL!

Perhaps the name will come to you both as your union approaches. Abide smiling smiley

P.S. Congrats on your engagement!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables