Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 20, 2012 04:56PM

Chicago area has been so HOT! Today's supposed to get into the upper 80s (when the average should be in the mid-40s). And it's been like this for a whole week. Yes, we sometimes get temps into the 70s in March, but it's always newsworthy and certainly not a heat wave. And at night it doesn't seem all that cool.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 20, 2012 06:17PM

Southern Ontario is HOT.
We're parallel with Northern Cali/Southern Oregon but still, it shouldn't be this warm this early. Crops are starting to grow, if we get a frost it will kill off a lot of food. The squirrels have eaten all the tulip bulbs from public parks nearby too. Hungry early, nothing else to eat this early.

Date: March 20, 2012 10:54PM

What constitutes hot in S. Ontario?

Date: March 20, 2012 11:02PM

We measure temperature in Celcius so I'll guesstimate high 70'sF. Tomorrow is going to be a record breaker, the highest in decades at around 27C which is 80 something F. Most years we're still getting snow now, today we wore summer clothes and flip flops. Crazy.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 21, 2012 12:25AM

Like mid June.

This is wrong.

Date: March 21, 2012 01:14AM

Tam it's been so fragrant, like May usually is. And it's been very humid and not very comfortable. Low 80s can be very pleasant, almost heaven to me, but not when humid.

Date: March 21, 2012 01:29AM

This is one of the most humid areas of Canada. In mid summer when it's really hot it's like living on the inside of a big damp sponge. It's gross. To lay down on a bed is a horrible moist-feeling affair. Walking is a sweat fest. And the mosquitos, oh my word... But it's so gorgeously lush and green and the produce is super abundant. Being by the lake doesn't hurt either, the breeze is lovely.
Winter seems incredibly cold generally speaking too, it's not even really that frosty out but the damp chills right to the bone. We usually get a LOT of snow, it can be a pain but it's so fun for the kids. Not much snow fall this year, ton's of rain.
I have to say, I'd take this recent weather all year round if I could, it has been really gorgeous. It's just troubling to have June weather in March. It can mean a big problem for the farmers, many crops will die if we get another cold snap and that's typical for this time of year.
Remember when spinach was off the market that year? I have a feeling I'm really going to be missing asparagus in a couple of months...

Date: March 21, 2012 01:45AM

I thought it would make it better for crops. I went back to my community garden. I was bowled over when I saw a bunch of carrot tops because I had planted the seeds back in Oct. or Nov. Just the idea that it had survived the winter was unreal to me but when I pulled up a few they were miniature.

Date: March 21, 2012 02:05AM

Oh, it's fine so long as the weather doesn't turn cold again. This is an area with lots of family owned vinyards, if the vines start to leaf and there is a frost that's it for the wine harvest for the year. Frost will also kill a lot of the early growth on fruit trees, it will kill early budding asparagus, many other plants too. They can't handle frost and it's not normally this warm consistently like it has been until after the risk of frost has passed. It's going down to 9C this weekend, that's about 48F. Hope it doesn't get any colder than that, frost forms at 32F.

Date: March 21, 2012 03:01PM

That's the thing, there's a cold snap headed this way next week, or so the oracles at the Weather Channel think. I have a feeling that we'll have snow again, and the thought is sickening; I love winter, and resent that we didn't really have one, but all the little animals and shoots and buds on the plants will be devastated if we return to proper March weather suddenly.

I love springtime, love it, the greening grass and clover, the blossoms and the fragrance, as you mention, banana who. But I love spring when spring is supposed to happen. This, this is perverted, and makes me very uneasy.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: March 23, 2012 06:11PM

77 degrees,sunny today in south central Pa.

Date: March 23, 2012 06:54PM

Is 77 abnormal for PA right now? I'd think so.

We have been having lots of rain today as the cold front moves in. smiling smiley It was very strange, this heat wave. Reminded me of July. I was in shorts all week and various buildings didn't want to turn on the AC because it was so early and finally broke down yesterday.

Date: March 23, 2012 08:05PM

It was lovely today, nice and mild and breezy instead of the hot we've had the past week and a half. Still sunny but completely comfortable, a perfect day.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 23, 2012 11:07PM

Surprisingly decent, usually this time of year we can expect anything from heavy rain to even glimpses of snow lol.

But i actually managed to get a little tan on the go from this week sitting outside. Still rather cold at times though, especially at night.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: March 24, 2012 01:03AM

I don't like it either. It makes me feel all out of whack.

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's the thing, there's a cold snap headed this
> way next week, or so the oracles at the Weather
> Channel think. I have a feeling that we'll have
> snow again, and the thought is sickening; I love
> winter, and resent that we didn't really have one,
> but all the little animals and shoots and buds on
> the plants will be devastated if we return to
> proper March weather suddenly.
>
> I love springtime, love it, the greening grass and
> clover, the blossoms and the fragrance, as you
> mention, banana who. But I love spring when
> spring is supposed to happen. This, this is
> perverted, and makes me very uneasy.

Date: March 27, 2012 12:07AM

News for our region:

Baby birds are emerging from eggs four weeks too early because of the warm March weather (usually late April to mid-May).

About 30 raccoons have been found with distemper in the past 3 weeks (the disease is normally killed off after a cold winter, means we didn't have a deep freeze and none of the germs were killed off).

Frost is expected Monday night when the temperature falls to -5 C.

Date: March 27, 2012 01:48PM

We had temps in the 30s early Monday after 80s last week eye rolling smiley

There is something grotesque about this lush, late-May sudden bursting of greenery. I feel trapped in a sci-fi movie or something. It's gonna go up to 71F today and even tomorrow it'll be in the upper 60s...

(On a side note, how come there isn't a degree symbol on the keyboard?!)

Date: March 27, 2012 03:25PM

sunny,chilly today.
very normal for Pa this time of yr.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: April 03, 2012 08:36AM

Lol sunbathing last week and now we are deep in snow.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: April 03, 2012 03:40PM

powerlifer,

"Snow"? What is this "snow" you speak of?

The UK got all of ours this year. I wore a thin dress to a wedding on St. Patrick's day, when I was expecting to wear trousers and a wool overcoat. We have to have a hard winter here in Michigan, or the summer's gonna be all kinds of sucky. Not to mention the aquifers will start to dry up and the crops will fail.

This.Is.Wrong.

Date: April 03, 2012 03:59PM

It's still snowing in the interior of BC at least. If we haven't promised all our water to other countries maybe Ontario can get some from there. Or maybe we saved some from last year when it was raining continuously and drowning all the crops...

Date: April 03, 2012 11:53PM

Snow? Never heard of the stuff. It was in the 70s, I think. Pretty warm. I think this warmth ain't going away. Maybe sticking some seeds in the ground is a plan.

Date: April 04, 2012 06:02PM

Very pleasant,partly sunny,about 72 here today.

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: April 05, 2012 01:28AM

Beautiful spring weather here. Lots of sunshine and just enough thunderstorms to keep things interesting. We even had a brief hale storm this morning.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 05, 2012 11:14AM

snow on sunday morning just outside of vancouver ... cherry blossoms falling off the trees in backyard .. so not expecting any fruit off that one this year >sad smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: klandestine ()
Date: April 05, 2012 11:26AM

It snowed. Not all that cold, but it snowed.

Date: April 05, 2012 12:35PM

No cherries, sad. Funny that some places are still getting snow, CBC radio reported some cold temps all across the country this morning. It's ok here, sunny but chilly. The sun is warm, it's the wind that cuts like a knife, hard to know what to wear!

Date: April 05, 2012 12:56PM

Almost like fall here, nippy and with many of the trees still without foliage. The blossoms on some of the trees are disorienting. My brain is going, "heh?"

Date: April 06, 2012 03:23PM

Tam, what's blossoming where you are? We're in Livonia today and I notice the magnolia are starting as well as daffodils while at home crocus, daffodil and magnolia are long gone and we've got tulips going now. Out by the lake it's a bit cooler and the daffs are just finishing there though. Funny how just a couple hours north or south can make such a huge difference.

Date: April 06, 2012 04:58PM

Magnolias here, and fruit trees. My pear tree looks like it usually does later this month or in May. That means I'll be fighting those awful aggressive interloper black squirrels for the pears weeks earlier than I normally have to. Super.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables