Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What spiritual books would you like to recommend to the rest of us?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: July 14, 2012 06:57PM

Notice that I said SPIRITUAL and not necessarily religious (a particular sect, in other words).

Funny--I heard people raving about "The Ringing Cedar" series...anyone read any of the Anastasia series? The raw food community is especially fond of these books, it would appear. I have the first four. I read the first one and am on the second (I also read a bit of Book 4). While it is pleasant reading, I can't say it's mind-blowing in terms of content. I suppose that I have already been exposed to much of this info anyway. The books were initially published in 1995 so it's been a while.

A couple of my choices:

"Peace Pilgrim" (My partner was given this book around 1990 and it sat on our shelf for at least a decade before I read it and loved it! I love when that happens...[www.amazon.com]

"Children of the Law of One"--(This may be one of the most profound books on life that I have ever read) [www.amazon.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What spiritual books would you like to recommend to the rest of us?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 14, 2012 09:14PM

Loving What Is by Byron Katie.
I could not get through even one of those Ringing Cedar books. Good holy Maude, I found it preachy and boring and utterly unrealistic. Perhaps the series gets better but man, dullsville to start.
I've got a lovely book called Imagine a Woman In Love With Herself that's very, very nice. Also, a book from my mom entitled Women Who Do Too Much, that's a daily affirmation collection.
Not religious at all, any of those, but certainly dealing with spirit.

Posted by: chat ()
Date: July 14, 2012 10:04PM

Out of curiosity, why spiritual in preference to philosophical? (if it is not religion or spirits or imagined reality that attracts you)

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: July 14, 2012 10:34PM

Eckhart Tolle books, videos, etc. - not sure if I get more out of watching him speak or just reading his books.

I was just looking up how many enlightened people there are in the world right now and came across this website -

[eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth.info]

Date: July 14, 2012 10:48PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Loving What Is by Byron Katie.
> I could not get through even one of those Ringing
> Cedar books. Good holy Maude, I found it preachy
> and boring and utterly unrealistic. Perhaps the
> series gets better but man, dullsville to start.
> I've got a lovely book called Imagine a Woman In
> Love With Herself that's very, very nice. Also, a
> book from my mom entitled Women Who Do Too Much,
> that's a daily affirmation collection.
> Not religious at all, any of those, but certainly
> dealing with spirit.

OMG, I think I had a copy of that last one and I used to read it to my boyfriend and we found it funny. Is it the woman who is a pastor?

LOL- who is "Maude?" I keep thinking of her: [images.zap2it.com]

Is this a Canadian expression? I get a kick out of it.

Date: July 14, 2012 10:54PM

chat Wrote:
> Out of curiosity, why spiritual in preference to
> philosophical? (if it is not religion or spirits
> or imagined reality that attracts you)

Chat, spirits are fine. What I was trying to avoid are dogmatic texts. I find that books which don't pertain to a particular faith (but may include New Age) are more universally appreciated than specific religions.

All belief systems are forms of philosophy, however humanistic philosphy is not necessarily spiritual and I want the metaphysical part!

Date: July 14, 2012 10:56PM

KidRaw Wrote:
> Eckhart Tolle books, videos, etc. - not sure if I
> get more out of watching him speak or just reading
> his books.
>
> I was just looking up how many enlightened people
> there are in the world right now and came across
> this website -
>
> [eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth.info]
> opic.php?f=4&t=7790

I was gonna mention him but I felt it was redundant because he's very popular and I've mentioned him before. I love him. I think I like his DVDs and CDs the best, though. I think he comes alive when you see and hear him.

Date: July 14, 2012 10:59PM

I was searching my brain pan for some of my other go-to BOOKS (and yes, I mean good old-fashioned paper and ink!) and how could I forget Rajneesh?! I love this one: [www.amazon.com]

Date: July 14, 2012 11:40PM

banana who Wrote:

>
> OMG, I think I had a copy of that last one and I
> used to read it to my boyfriend and we found it
> funny. Is it the woman who is a pastor?

Marianne Williamwhateverson? The course in miracles lady I think is who you might be referring to. Nope, it's not her. My mom was into her for a while but I couldn't connect.
I think this is the author of the book I have. It's actually quite good, very practical and down to earth but painfully accurate at times.
[ecx.images-amazon.com]

And then looking for that one I came across this *snort*!
[www.barnesandnoble.com]

>
> LOL- who is "Maude?" I keep thinking of her:
> [images.zap2it.com]
> e-8.jpg
>
> Is this a Canadian expression? I get a kick out of
> it.

This is an expression used in place of "Oh G_d" that I picked up on a pretty radical feminist website (used to be anyhow, haven't been there in years) associated with Bust magazine. I think their online forum is still around. Anyhow, in order to avoid any unintentional offense to the religious sisters as well as not having to give up a good expression we all just started saying Maude instead of G_d. But that photo you posted is just fine, it's perfectly ok to envision her at such a time. I totally get a kick out of That!

I also quite like Louise Hay, not even so much because I believe the things she says either. I just quite like the positive focus her affirmations bring and the sense of empowerment to be had from at least feeling as though you are literally taking control over your own physical reality.
And Paulo Coelho, he's so very nice as well. I just finished a book of his "Veronika Decides to Die". Really interesting style of writing, there was a lot you could read into it depending on where your head was at. The message was distinct but very open to personal interpretation.

Posted by: back2eden ()
Date: July 15, 2012 12:05AM

I have no idea what your exact definition of spiritual is so I can't recomend anything. To me its just another vague buzz word. Many words are so watered down any more.

But it reminds of a story. It occured many years ago back in Florida at one of the many raw food potlucks we used to have. We had barely begun eating and a women across from me looks at me and says - wow!!!!, I have no idea what you are doing but you are sooooooo spiritual. I never knew what she meant by that. It was so out of the blue.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: July 15, 2012 12:26AM

I like the Tao Te Ching as translated by Stephen Mitchell.

Date: July 15, 2012 12:47AM

Prana Wrote:
> I like the Tao Te Ching as translated by Stephen
> Mitchell.

I have that one too, Prana. And an interesting little factoid is that Mitchell is married to...Byron Katie. 7 degrees to Byron Katiewinking smiley

Date: July 15, 2012 12:49AM

Hey, I was just about to say isn't that the guy who's married to BK? He wrote a nice intro in her book, loving what is. Groovy.

Date: July 15, 2012 12:51AM

Back2Eden, as I said before, rather than request Christian, Jewish, or Buddhist texts, I wanted to ask for non-denominational, non-organized-religion types of book suggestions. I don't see why it's vague--metaphysical means beyond the body. So any philosophical book that relates to the spirit (soul) rather than pop psychology books, for instance.

The person who said wow to you probably thought you had a beautiful aura smiling smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 15, 2012 02:11AM

hey prana

great choice
mitchell is a top notch translator
other translations are not as well done, in my opinion

Date: July 15, 2012 02:28AM

[en.wikipedia.org]

This is the answer I was looking for. Our definitions of what it means to be spiritual are opposite so I can't recomend anything on this board.

Posted by: chat ()
Date: July 15, 2012 03:27AM

back2eden Wrote:
> [en.wikipedia.org]
>
> This is the answer I was looking for. Our
> definitions of what it means to be spiritual are
> opposite so I can't recomend anything on this
> board.

That's what I had in mind too, when I asked the question. Spirituality is about "belief in an ultimate... reality; an inner path enabling a person to discover the essence of his/her being". Philosophy is about discovering the essence of one's being through knowledge and understanding of reality.

So philosophy is not really about a "belief". And while a good spiritual text will not be dogmatic, i think it's emphasis is nevertheless likely to be on experience rather than knowledge.

That's why I asked, are you interested in belief or knowledge, in discovering yourself through experience and revelation, or through reason and rational argument? And if it's the former, why would you prefer it over the latter.

smiling smiley

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Date: July 15, 2012 06:28PM

Re: Eckhart Tolle
I can pretty much look at anbody's picture and know what they are like.I wanted to check out Eckart Tolle to see why people are raving about him. When I saw his picture I said to myself OH NO another totally lost babbler. I started to watch a video of him to confirm my decernment and could not keep it on for even a minute. I put him right up there with phony, cream puff, twinky blinky, fairy "preacher" Joel Olsteen. When people blink like that and talk that way it's one sure sign they are full of hot air.These are not real men!

If people would state precisely what they want to gain by reading "spiritual" books. That should define clearly what they think spirituality is and easier for others to answer the question.,

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: July 15, 2012 06:46PM

I like to read the words of, or listen to, Enlightened Persons. In fact, I don't really read works of others who are talking out of their Ego and Mind.

back2eden, do you know what 'Enlightened' or 'Self-Realized' means? Do you know those beings are on a different wavelength than the rest of us.

I was into Eckhart Tolle before he became famous from Oprah. When his book - the Power of Now - first came out, I read it, then Stillness Speaks, etc.,

I would suggest getting his book - The Power of Now - and reading it and then decide how you feel about him.

Or maybe it takes being in the presence of someone who is Self Realized before you 'believe' there is such a thing. I've gone to satsangs, workshops, etc. and I'm always transfixed - yes, that's the word. Some are more powerful than others -- like Ammachi and my favorite 'guru', who I'm selfishly not going to share with anyone right now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2012 06:56PM by KidRaw.

Date: July 15, 2012 07:21PM

back2eden, do you know what 'Enlightened' or 'Self-Realized' means? Do you know those beings are on a different wavelength than the rest of us.

Absolutely yes! And I am one of them! I can't talk about it though as the very first post says it's not allowed or wanted.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: July 15, 2012 11:07PM

Well.....the Bible
If you arent into that I recommend the
"Science of Mind" By Ernest Holmes.
Those books will have you thinking for sure.
Metaphysics to the hilt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2012 11:08PM by eaglefly.

Date: July 16, 2012 12:29AM

back2eden Wrote:
> [en.wikipedia.org]
>
> This is the answer I was looking for. Our
> definitions of what it means to be spiritual are
> opposite so I can't recomend anything on this
> board.

Okee...how did my definition differ? I agree with the one you posted! I may not have put it in the same way, but as your link says: "immateriality." Every organized religion has its mystical sect: for Islamists, it's Sufism, for the Jews it's the Kabbalah and so on. Maybe I shouldn't have put any limitations on book suggestions! That seems to be the sticking point. But unfortunately there is sometimes too much heavy-handedness in certain sects and that was what I was trying to avoid. On the other end of the spectum is the Oprah-ficationalists who spout feel-good sayings and it's all on the surface.

Posted by: brome ()
Date: July 16, 2012 06:13PM

The Sacred Text archive has alot:

[www.sacred-texts.com]

Check out the Kalevala:

[www.sacred-texts.com]

Rime of the Ancient Mariner

[www.bartleby.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2012 06:21PM by brome.

Date: July 16, 2012 08:01PM

Every organized religion has its mystical sect: for Islamists, it's Sufism, for the Jews it's the Kabbalah and so on.

What does mystical sect mean to you?

There is no "mystical sect" of any kind in true Christianity.

And the Kabbalah is not Jewish. Because of thier disobedience the Children of Israel went into captivity for 70 years in Babylon under king Nebukenezar. That is where Kabalah came from. It is pagan, occult, wich craft, black magic, numerology etc. It is not Jewish and they were comanded many times by God not to learn the ways of the heathen.

Date: July 16, 2012 09:31PM

Thank you, Backtoeden. LOL- now I get itwinking smiley

In any case, Christianity DOES have mystical sects--are you kidding me? For instance, the Carmelites: [en.wikipedia.org]
Their "contemplative prayer" would be the equivalent of meditation, I assume. I like that saying: "Prayer is talking to God; meditation is listening to God." smiling smiley

Another group is the Gnostics: [en.wikipedia.org]

The Cathars are another group who have been compared to Gnostics.

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: July 17, 2012 08:48PM

I find it interesting and sad at the same time that Religious people don’t like the word SPIRITUALITY just as much as the Skeptics don’t like it. For this reason, I have chosen to use the word Community in place of SPIRITUALITY as to not offend the Religious and the Non-Religious. We all belong to the same Community - Locally, Globally and Universally. Indeed, we are all one and that is the basis behind the Quantum Interconnectedness of the Universe.

Peace and Love..........John

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: July 18, 2012 01:08PM

Exactly!

Another author who put out some great books is Chris Prentiss,who founded a rehab center in Ca.
He gets into some great personal testimony on this "Universal Oneness".

Posted by: brome ()
Date: July 18, 2012 04:31PM

Particularly well suited to the live food person is the Vision Quest, fasting in the wilderness to get a message directly from God. This was the method of enlightenment among the American Indians and is found in many religions. An excellent book to read is:

Lame Deer, Seeker of Visions.

Date: July 19, 2012 01:47AM

What I wish to find in books of a spiritual nature ~ relief from suffering.
It's amazing to me that the secret to this for me was in simply changing my mind about things. It really was that easy. So long as I am doing "The Work" as defined by Byron Katie, I find it impossible to be upset by things that might otherwise rule my every waking moment.

Release, spirituality for me is about release of all. Oneness, emptiness, serenity, peace. It's a journey...

Date: July 19, 2012 06:15PM

Yes, it's a journey. I still find it a bit of a challenge to deal with people being less than nice to me. For instance, I just encountered it and I didn't get angry but sometimes I feel that makes me the victim and I refuse to be one. But I just told myself that it's not about me and she's the one going thru whatever made her so high-strung.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables