Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Food Personalities
Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: September 30, 2012 11:25PM

On the Main Forum -
powerlifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why do the Raw Brahs get so much hate ?. Ive only
> watched a few of their videos but they seem like
> decent chill guys.

It's Ironic - Because there are those who are Celebrity Worshippers and even in the Raw Food Movement need to have those who they consider 'the elite' and 'gurus'and put them on a pedestal, but then take enjoyment in Gossiping about them and Tearing them Down again - they eat their own.

I never heard about the Rah Bros until just now and never heard of Durian Rider, Angela and what's-his-name until I came back on this board again - and in the old days this board's members weren't obsessed with the Raw Food High Monkey-Monks, gossiping and following them, crowning them 'the elite' like they do now on the Main Forum. This faction seems to like to divide us into classes and groups. I guess it's Pop Culture and the Cult of Personality and the Degradation of Society - where a certain faction gets enjoyment out of being snarky, gossiping about, judging, criticizing, ridiculing, and caricaturizing others.

GOSSIP -

Fire and swords are slow engines of destruction, compared to the tongue of a Gossip. —Richard Steele

Be less curious about people and more curious about ideas. —Marie Curie

How much time he gains who does not look to see what his neighbour says or does or thinks, but only at what he does himself, to make it just and holy. —Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Whoever gossips to you will gossip about you. —Spanish proverb

If I maintain my silence about my secret it is my prisoner... if I let it slip from my tongue, I am its prisoner. —Arthur Schopenhauer

It is just as cowardly to judge an absent person as it is wicked to strike a defenseless one. Only the ignorant and narrow-minded gossip, for they speak of persons instead of things.
-Lawrence G. Lovasik

Supermarket tabloids and celebrity gossip shows are not just innocently shallow entertainment, but a fundamental part of a much larger movement that involves apathy, greed and hierarchy.
-Joseph Gordon-Levitt

"Gossip is a sort of smoke that comes from the dirty tobacco-pipes of those who diffuse it: it proves nothing but the bad taste of the smoker."
-Eliot, George

"Avoid inquisitive persons, for they are sure to be gossips, their ears are open to hear, but they will not keep what is entrusted to them."
-Horace

"A gossip is one who talks to you about others; a bore is one who talks to you about himself; and a brilliant conversationalist is one who talks to you about yourself."
-Lisa Kirk

"Don't speak evil of someone if you don't know for certain, and if you do know ask yourself, why am I telling it?"
-Johann Kasper Lavater

"The objection of the scandalmonger is not that she tells of racy doings, but that she pretends to be indignant about them."
-Mencken, H. L.

"Gossiping and lying go hand in hand."
-Proverb

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."
-Eleanor Roosevelt

"What you don't see with your eyes, don't witness with your mouth."
-Jewish Proverb

It is a sign of a perverse and treacherous disposition to wound the good name of another, when he has no opportunity of defending himself.
-John Calvin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2012 11:36PM by KidRaw.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Food Personalities
Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: October 01, 2012 02:48AM

Yes KidRaw, you nailed it and it’s what I’ve been saying all along - we are a Sick Society and just like all Great Powers in the past we are Spiraling Downward and our Media covers it up by making it look like it’s cool that there’s more degradation. This is what’s so infuriating for those of us who see how we’ve been Brainwashed and how most people are still oblivious to everything!

As you well know, I love quotes and one of the most interesting books I have ever read was by Laurence J. Peter called Peter's Quotations: Ideas for Our Time. When I read this book, I knew that I had almost missed my calling as I had an instinctive understanding of almost everything I read and one of his quotes that always stood out to me, especially as I was aging, was "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." I used to enjoy chit chatting with anyone about anything, but since I found out how to help people who are suffering, I can’t imagine talking about anything else.

Anyway, when I saw you give credit to Eleanor Roosevelt, I had to do a quick search and this is what I found…

Several websites gave credit to Laurence Peter and some gave credit to Admiral Hyman Rickover, but wikiquote for Eleanor Roosevelt showed this quote as disputed and that Rickover admitted he was not the author - see below. At any rate, I always think of this quote when I hear people talk about people and events and how little people really want to discuss anything of any importance, except for websites like this, of course.

[en.wikiquote.org]
Eleanor Roosevelt

Disputed

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.
There are many published incidents of this as an anonymous proverb since at least 1948, and as a statement of Eleanor Roosevelt since at least 1992, but without any citation of an original source. It is also often attributed to Admiral Hyman G. Rickover, but though Rickover quoted this, he did not claim to be the author of it; in "The World of the Uneducated" in The Saturday Evening Post (28 November 1959), he prefaces it with "As the unknown sage puts it..."
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, and little minds discuss people.
In this form it was quoted as an anonymous epigram in A Guide to Effective Public Speaking (1953) by Lawrence Henry Mouat
New York times Saturday review of books and art, 1931: ...Wanted, the correct quotation and origin of this expression: Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people...
Several other variants or derivatives of the expression exist, but none provide a definite author:
Great minds discuss ideas, mediocre minds discuss events, small minds discuss personalities.
Great minds discuss ideas
Average minds discuss events
Small minds discuss people
Small minds discuss things
Average minds discuss people
Great minds discuss ideas
...Some professor of psychology who has been eavesdropping for years makes the statement that "The best minds discuss ideas; the second in ranking talk about things; while the third group, or the least in mentality, gossip about people"... (Hardware age, Volume 123, 1929)
...It has been said long ago that there were three classes of people in the world, and while they are subject to variation, for elemental consideration they are useful. The first is that large class of people who talk about people; the next class are those who talk about things; and the third class are those who discuss ideas... (H. J. Derbyshire, "Origin of mental species", 1919)
...Mrs. Conklin points out certain bad conversational habits and suggests good ones, quoting Buckle's classic classification of talkers into three orders of intelligence — those who talk about nothing but persons, those who talk about things and those who discuss ideas... (review of Mary Greer Conklin's book Conversation: What to say and how to say it in The Continent, Jan. 23, 1913, p. 118)
...[Buckle's] thoughts and conversations were always on a high level, and I recollect a saying of his which not only greatly impressed me at the time, but which I have ever since cherished as a test of the mental calibre of friends and acquaintances. Buckle said, in his dogmatic way: "Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons, the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas"... (Charles Stewart, "Haud immemor. Reminescences of legal and social life in Edinburgh and London. 1850-1900", 1901, p. 33)
[en.wikiquote.org]

Peace and Love..........John

Posted by: HH ()
Date: October 01, 2012 11:37AM

People have been trained to experience anxiety and lash out when someone disagrees with them. It's all part of the divide and conquer scheme. I see polite disagreement as a blessing. It's a chance to think more deeply about my beliefs and to evolve. Perhaps I can even persuade the person who disagrees with me to my way of thinking. To me, that's a positive response. The use of name-calling and character assassination is a low vibrational, negative response that compromises our peace. Our minds are very powerful. Unfortunately, we've allowed ourselves to be enslaved by negativity and ego. I see hope though. People are getting hip to this and it's only a matter of time before the psycho-cabal is peacefully overthrown.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 01, 2012 05:52PM

Is there such a thing as the Raw Brahs or is that just a reference to the "gurus?"

Kid, I really liked those quotes. I agree with most of them except the one about gossip and lying. It promotes the idea that gossip is the same as slander and that's not true. You can be telling the truth about a particular situation (of which you have knowledge firsthand) and still be gossiping. The quote about "is it necessary?" is the key. Why is it being said?

I sometimes reference certain of these people because they are in the forefront of the movement and put out videos and other media related to raw foods. It certainly doesn't mean that I worship them, though! And I do think that it's reasonable to question people who make money from promoting and selling raw foods, especially when I have purchased from them! Maligning someone is not okay, though, and it's good to keep in mind...

Posted by: veganjuice ()
Date: October 01, 2012 07:01PM

Date: October 01, 2012 07:33PM

Your praise is duly noted. Now go peel me a banana. smiling smiley

veganjuice Wrote:
> [i717.photobucket.com]
> rtr/Smileys/worship.gif

Date: October 01, 2012 10:54PM

Another thing I think is fair to note is that people put themselves out there as experts, as well as raving about products (of course I am speaking of Adya Clarity, but also White Ormus). These are not private civilians. It's like movie stars, you know? Or politicians. winking smiley We discuss these people all the time and critique their ideas. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as we stick to the matter at hand (and not get into personal stuff unless THEY brought it up in a video, LOL).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2012 10:55PM by banana who.

Date: October 01, 2012 11:29PM

Yes, I think it's fine to talk about their beliefs and advice to the rest of us, the products they promote and their own raw food diet, but I don't think it's constructive to attack their character and look for and advertise imagined or projected or perceived character flaws when there's no proof. Like I know on the Main Forum people are always trashing Durian Rider. I don't know why; I don't follow him; I'm not interested in him and his antics - I don't see what's the big attraction to these people, unless it's to gather information on how best to eat a Raw Food Diet. Some people are just nosy-bodies, I guess.

Date: October 01, 2012 11:52PM

Most people would prefer to ignore DR. There was a time when he would chronically sucker-punch good people on otherwise peaceful forums. He's the king of unfounded smear campaigns. As far as I can see, he's learned his lesson and backed off. This allows me to ignore him again.

KidRaw Wrote:
> Yes, I think it's fine to talk about their beliefs
> and advice to the rest of us, the products they
> promote and their own raw food diet, but I don't
> think it's constructive to attack their character
> and look for and advertise imagined or projected
> or perceived character flaws when there's no
> proof. Like I know on the Main Forum people are
> always trashing Durian Rider. I don't know why; I
> don't follow him; I'm not interested in him and
> his antics - I don't see what's the big attraction
> to these people, unless it's to gather information
> on how best to eat a Raw Food Diet. Some people
> are just nosy-bodies, I guess.

Date: October 02, 2012 12:37AM

I don't know all the backstory on DR; it seems that people on here are a bit overzealous in their dissing of him but I suppose he is part of the drama since he would mock other raw "celebs." Oh well...I think he has some funny bits and his girlfriend has also made amusing videos so I have nothing against the man myself.

Date: October 02, 2012 01:48AM

I saw these two videos of the Raw Brahs, and I think they're fine. If anybody wanted to criticize them, it would be that they're not all raw all the time.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables