Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Has anyone done the Vispassna 10-day retreat before?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: September 13, 2013 03:59PM

They are free and throughout the country. I would love to do it but it kind of freaks me out, too. I was just curious if anyone has gone through it and what the experience was like.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Has anyone done the Vispassna 10-day retreat before?
Date: September 13, 2013 04:37PM

[www.dhamma.org]

It's VIPASSANA...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2013 04:49PM by banana who.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 13, 2013 05:38PM

I confess to a frank fascination paired with an absolute horror of this.
There's a retreat a couple of hours away. If I can get my mom to watch the kids and time off work I'd like to go in the spring or fall next year. Maybe. OMG, the idea of really doing it makes my hands shake a little.

Banana, have you ever done the one month mirror love exercise? You gaze into your own eyes in a mirror each day and say a heart felt "I love you". It's difficult. I told a neighbour about it, she says she cries nearly every time and I think her partner has entirely given it up.

Posted by: HH ()
Date: September 13, 2013 06:02PM

I was actually supposed to do it with a friend back in August. Was very excited but he had to cancel last minute. There was no way I was going alone. Yeah, I know, I'm a huge baby, but that's some very intense meditation and silence. Right now I only do 20 minutes a day. I hope to do it next summer. Another friend of mine has done it. He said that the first few days are impossible but once you settle in it's great. He also raved about the food and accommodations. He now goes back on a regular basis to help serve the meditators.

Truthfully, I now wish that I had just gone on my own. There's something very intimidating about 10 days of that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2013 06:03PM by HH.

Date: September 13, 2013 07:16PM

If you Google it they mention a "cult," which is a bit silly but I am slightly leery of them saying you can't leave after a certain day. I wish they could just be totally cool with it.

I used to get panic attacks and even as a kid suffered with anxiety issues. I also have always had a bunch of phobias (more anxiety, LOL) and they mention mental and physical disorders. I wonder how "perfect" you have to be to attempt this. I think it would be very good for me. I am all over the map (ADD) and yet I am not really hyperactive. I can sit still. I liked meditation experiences but find it hard to enact it on my own. So it would be good for me and yet it scares the crap out of me.

Coco, are you talking about Louise Hay's exercises with affirmations in the mirror? I guess I would feel a bit silly and that I was being phony to do it like that but who knows? Maybe it's therapeutic. By the way, I thought of this thread because of a book I took out of the library and I think you mentioned her: the sunny kitchen blog lady? She did it and said it changed her life. Good reboot, IMO.

HH, yup--agree about the intimidation factor. And yet I see testimonies about all these people who have done it and figure that if they could, I can. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2013 07:17PM by banana who.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables