Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Economists say that work week should be reduced to 30 hours
Posted by: HH ()
Date: October 29, 2013 01:57PM

I've always thought that the 40 hour week is torture. Glad to see some people bringing this up in a sensible way. [www.telegraph.co.uk]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Economists say that work week should be reduced to 30 hours
Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: October 29, 2013 05:35PM

As long as it was a choice - not forced on employers or employees. Some people might want to work longer hours if they love their work or want to make more money. Some jobs require more hours or companies might need to be open and operating for longer periods of time because of supply and demand, the market. A programmer and other types of professions have deadlines that need to be met.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 29, 2013 05:36PM

i wouldn't mind 40 hours a week if it was over 4 days .. as i commute 3 hours a day there and back it would make more sense to squeeze it in to longer days. Ive been trying to convince my boss of this and while it works alot of the time ..quite often i end up needing to come in for the 5th day ending up with overtime lol ..so fail for me lol

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: October 29, 2013 05:42PM

The dude seems conflicted smiling smiley

Working Shorter Hours May be 'Bad for Health'

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

The Telegraph is talking out of both sides of its mouth.

On the one hand -

"A shorter working week would make us healthier, give us more fulfilling and sustainable lives and be better for the environment, economists have suggested."

But on the other hand -

"Working shorter hours may not make you happier and it could even increase your stress levels, according to new research."

I say it's an individual choice. Some people may thrive on their work.

Date: October 29, 2013 06:28PM

Whether they thrive on work or not, a lot of people are going to have to get used to the idea of working less as artificial intelligence becomes more and more ubiquitous. As long as they're given a living wage I see a lot of positives; better health, better kids raised by parents who are there, more creativity and innovation, more opportunities to help those who really need it like the elderly, etc. Just because your job ends doesn't mean that you have to stop working. You can go home and play with your kids and invent something that has nothing to do with your daily grind. There will be more time for labors of love. Perhaps another large step in human evolution is people learning to feel and be useful without having to give half their lives to some cubicle.

The fact is that the need for a human work-force is in decline. That's what is really inspiring articles like this. Watch this tour of the Tesla factory. It employs 3,000 people but a huge amount of work is done by robots. It's only a matter of time before everything is done by robots. That cutting-edge factory will be out of date within 5 years or less.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 29, 2013 09:20PM

do you follow the work of Jacque Fresco at all HH he says the same things as you smiling smiley love watching his vids

Date: October 29, 2013 10:28PM

No I don't but I'll check him out right now. Thanks for the recommendation. smiling smiley

Date: October 29, 2013 11:51PM

yea hes awesome wayyyy forward thinking hes 96 i think now .. amazing architect and designer .. a real futurist in his ideas of blending technology with mankind for the best smiling smiley has some interesting ideas smiling smiley

Date: October 30, 2013 05:54PM

I think I'd prefer to share what I think of him with you in a PM. Anyway, in summary, I can see that I do have things in common with him, but I feel like the specifics of his plan are lacking. In every video I watched he repeats the same vague shpiel. He seems to believe that genetics have nothing to do with our behavior, that the way we're nurtured is all that matters. I totally disagree with that, but at the same time I do agree that we can be nurtutred away from the wage-slave mindset and bigotry. Too bad he openly shares his bigoted feelings toward Christians with anyone who will listen. I fail to understand how openly hating Christians is any different than openly hating Jews.

My feelings about him are mixed, but yes, his own bigotry and strict belief in nurture are turn-offs. I'd love to hear a detailed explanation of how the resource-based economy would work. I'm afraid to talk too much here lest I venture into politics and get suspended.

Thanks for sharing. The connection you made between my post and some of his ideas was on target IMO.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 30, 2013 06:33PM

luxurious

but

meaningful and something to think about

Date: October 30, 2013 11:20PM

Jodi-

I should also say that his belief that only collapse and disaster will lead to positive change scares me. I like to think that the transition will be smoother and probably more gradual.

Date: November 02, 2013 12:39AM

yes HH i dont entirely agree with everything he say but he has some amazing thoughts and his architecture is really cool smiling smiley

Date: November 02, 2013 12:39AM

HH you can always email me smiling smiley nwjodi@rocketmail.com anytime smiling smiley

Date: November 05, 2013 03:01AM

Thanks. smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables