Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Dr Mercola says carbohydrates cause Alzheimers
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: May 24, 2014 10:22PM

wow. He himself must have got a tumor and don't know. I've been in high carb for a while and have increase my mental abilities si I am the prove that he is WRONG. Meanwhile this doctor is pushing his oils ideal diet and now claimming carbs cause Alzheimers (to create fear so people jump to oil). Did he go full wack to push his diet? He now promotes coffee to look alive while full of oil.

[articles.mercola.com]

Fat avoidance and carbohydrate overconsumption are at the heart of the Alzheimer’s epidemic

"What we've crystallized it down to now, in essence, is that diets that are high in sugar and carbohydrates, and similarly diets that are low in fat, are devastating to the brain.When you have a diet that has carbohydrates in it, you are paving the way for Alzheimer's disease. I want to be super clear about that. Dietary carbohydrates lead to Alzheimer's disease. It's a pretty profound statement, but it's empowering nonetheless when we realize that we control our diet. We control our choices, whether to favor fat or carbohydrates.""

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2014 10:25PM by Panchito.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dr Mercola says carbohydrates cause Alzheimers
Date: May 24, 2014 10:44PM

video of a 98 year old after following a vegan - very low fat - high carb diet.

[www.youtube.com]

No signs of Alzhemiers? Is Dr Mercola sane?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2014 10:45PM by Panchito.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 26, 2014 04:46AM

maybe its cuz carbohydrates also refer to junk like bread which might have baking soda which mostly has aluminum and aluminum leads to alzheimers

cuz maybe when most people say carbohydrates, unless they are in the raw world, they are talking about breads, pretzels, crackers, potato chips... stuff like that

not fruit

i would think

Date: May 26, 2014 04:43PM

I think the article jumps all over. First he points out Americans (high fat) as having Alzheimers. Then he said little fat causes Alzheimers. Then he blames the sugar and obesity.

"His book, Grain Brain, reveals how and why sugars and carbohydrates destroy your brain, and how to eat for neurological health. He notes Mayo Clinic research that reveals diets rich in carbohydrates are associated with an 89 percent increased risk for dementia while high-fat diets are associated with a 44 percent reduced risk. This combination of very little sugar and carbs, along with higher amounts of healthful fats is KEY for addressing not only Alzheimer's, but diabetes and heart disease as well. "

HA HA HA. Do Chinese (high carb) people Alzheimers? NOOOO

"This inappropriate fat phobia has undoubtedly played a significant role in the dramatic rise in dementia and other neurological disorders, because your brain cannot function properly without fats! The type of fat you eat makes all the difference in the world, though. You want to avoid all trans fats or hydrogenated fats that have been modified in such a way to extend their longevity on the grocery store shelf. This includes margarine, vegetable oils, and various butter-like spreads. Sources of healthy fats to add to your diet include:"

HAHA. Look at low fat diet cultures. They have no dementia. It is all in his head. This is the typical trick. Now he says that ONLY special fats are OK to prevent Alzheimers. Sure, anybody can claim anything BUT where is the prove? THere is none. It is all a hoax that people are sucked in little by little as their brain is weak by all those FATS haha.

"Avoid sugar and refined fructose. Ideally, you'll want to keep your sugar levels to a minimum and your total fructose below 25 grams per day, or as low as 15 grams per day if you have insulin/leptin resistance or any related disorders."

Why would anybody follow this crazy dude? Throwing some scietific words and numbers don't prove anything other than the obvious bias to promote his high FAT diet.

Reduce your overall calorie consumption, and/or intermittently fast. Ketones are mobilized when you replace carbs with coconut oil and other sources of healthy fats

HAAAAA. Now after all that fat, you need to fast! Thats how it works. jeje

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2014 04:53PM by Panchito.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: May 26, 2014 08:21PM

"Sure, anybody can claim anything BUT where is the prove?"

Where is the proof that high-fat raw vegan diets are unhealthy? On your diet, where do you get enough zinc, iron, calcium, and omega-3's to convert ALA into sufficient EPA/DHA?

Coconut oil has also been shown to reduce the risk and even reverse Alzheimer's.

[tv.greenmedinfo.com]

Date: May 26, 2014 09:59PM

jtprindl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Where is the proof that high-fat raw vegan diets
> are unhealthy?

if you eliminate the raw part, it is here (a whole free book nonetheless):

[www.atkinsexposed.org]

Otherwise it is one of those things that you don't know either. Where is the proof that X with special Y added is unhealthy?

this is what happens when you stop fasting on a high fat diet:

ohoh

Date: May 27, 2014 12:55AM

There's a huge difference between cooked animal fats and raw plant-based fats.

On your diet, where do you get enough zinc, iron, calcium, and omega-3's to convert ALA into sufficient EPA/DHA?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2014 12:56AM by jtprindl.

Date: May 27, 2014 01:11AM

jtprindl Wrote:
> On your diet, where do you get enough zinc, iron,
> calcium, and omega-3's to convert ALA into
> sufficient EPA/DHA?

I myself take a zinc supp + EPA/DHA (plant base). Zinc is more important for men than woman. And iron is more important for woman than men. I eat lost of greens and don't take calcium supps. Very good health smiling smiley

Date: May 27, 2014 01:21AM

Why don't you consider improving the diet instead of relying on supplements? Where do you get enough iron?

Date: May 27, 2014 01:27AM

ask your self the same question. Why do you order +$80 reishi mushrooms EXTRACT from the internet and then point the finger on me for getting extra Zinc? Why is Reishi EXTRACT (9 hours boiled) OK but not Zinc?

Apparently I get iron from my diet as I am in excellent shape.

Date: May 27, 2014 01:36AM

Using supplements is an admission that your diet is not nutritionally adequate. You must not have read the vast amounts of scientific literature regarding reishi mushrooms and their triterpenes. Again, there's the cult-like mentality where you believe all things that aren't technically "raw" are harmful. Same with the outdated Natural Hygiene concepts and their fear of fats, despite the fact there's no scientific evidence proving raw plant-based fats are unhealthy.

So you don't know where you get enough iron? There are a lot of SAD individuals in excellent shape too...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2014 01:39AM by jtprindl.

Date: May 27, 2014 01:40AM

are you i shape? I would like to learn from someone that is in better shape than myself. Otherwise, get lost.

Date: May 27, 2014 01:51AM

Yes, I am in shape... by the way what is your definition of "in shape" anyways?

Using your logic, you would take nutrition and health advice from an Olympic athlete over someone with a master's degree in a field related to health/nutrition, which doesn't make any sense. You can be physically and athletically gifted and still follow a very poor diet with poor health habits. There's a reason many top athletes pay nutritionists and other health practitioners, they are completely separate from one another.

There's a difference between using supplements because your diet is not nutritionally adequate and topping up the diet with super foods because of their well-studied and scientifically proven health benefits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2014 01:52AM by jtprindl.

Date: May 27, 2014 02:07AM

psss. I don't believe you are in shape. If you are in shape, why do you buy expensive supplements (reishi extracts +$80/small bottle)? Isn't your diet adequate? Why do you play the role of the expert when you are new?

Date: May 27, 2014 02:19AM

"psss. I don't believe you are in shape. If you are in shape, why do you buy expensive supplements (reishi extracts +$80/small bottle)? Isn't your diet adequate?"

That doesn't make any sense and I just explained the difference in using supplements and using super foods. Especially in this cesspool world we live in where hundreds of thousands of different toxins/chemicals are dispersed throughout the environment and all of the radiation, super foods can be of tremendous benefit. I don't use them to make up for anything lacking in my diet, I use them for the ADDED protection/benefits that are well-documented and scientifically proven. And you never gave your definition of "in shape".

Your logic also makes no sense... so you wouldn't believe I'm in shape because I consume reishi triterpenes but YOU are in shape despite taking zinc and EPA/DHA?

I may be somewhat new to this board but I've been relentlessly researching and studying health and holistic nutrition for years and it's what I'm getting my degree in. How am I playing the role of the expert by asking questions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2014 02:20AM by jtprindl.

Date: May 27, 2014 02:25AM

Your logic does not make sense. If you have a healthy diet, why do you need expensive supplements (you call the superfoods ja ja ok?). Hey, I got nothing against you, but we'll talk back after your Briant Clement honeymoon phase. Right now you sound too new to me.

Date: May 27, 2014 02:31AM

"If you have a healthy diet, why do you need expensive supplements (you call the superfoods ja ja ok?)."

I don't NEED them, I take them for the reasons I explained in my previous two posts. However, I do need zinc and EPA/DHA, which I get from my diet.

"Hey, I got nothing against you, but we'll talk back after your Briant Clement honeymoon phase. Right now you sound too new to me."

I think you consider yourself knowledgeable when it comes to health and nutrition simply because you eat raw foods and read nutrition articles online, and don't like when your beliefs are challenged and disputed. When did I say anything about Brian Clement? But yeah, I'm sure you know more than he does...

Maybe you wouldn't be deficient in zinc, iron, and essential fatty acids if you consumed more sprouts, algae's, and sea vegetables smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2014 02:33AM by jtprindl.

Date: May 27, 2014 02:43AM

Are the letters big enough?

it says dietary SUPPLEMENT not SUPERFOOD

sorry to burst your bubble. But even the Raw Food world (where you buy supplements) have reishi under SUPPLEMENTS

[www.therawfoodworld.com]

WOW $97 for 1 oz

Date: May 27, 2014 02:46AM

Now you're arguing semantics... the distinction remains the same. Again,

"I don't use them to make up for anything lacking in my diet, I use them for the ADDED protection/benefits that are well-documented and scientifically proven."

Date: May 27, 2014 02:50AM

good for you. like I said, after your honeymoon with the bottles, we'll talk.

Date: May 27, 2014 02:57AM

With all due respect, you don't even know what you're saying. You've been embarrassing yourself this entire conversation with incoherent and ignorant comments like the one you just made. Good night and maybe one day you'll step out of the cultish Natural Hygiene mentality and start paying attention to new and updated research.

Posted by: HH ()
Date: May 28, 2014 07:58PM

When you insist on posting huge pics you screw the formatting for some of us, making the threads virtually unreadable.

Date: May 31, 2014 03:41AM

I would never trust Dr Mercola and all his pseudoscience. I avoid his website like the plague.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: June 02, 2014 01:07PM

temp Wrote:
> Ive never really read much of his site, but is it
> that bad ?

Dr. Mercola's site is well worth reading. A lot of his videos are well worth listening to. Regardless of the conclusions he and his guests arrive at he keeps on top of what is going on in regards to the latest health info available and passes it along to the benefit of all of us for free.

Dr. Mercola is also the only 'health guru' that I'm aware of who actually volunteered around a million dollars of his own money to fight to get gmo phoods labeled as such. That's probably about a million dollars more than the combined members here contributed to that worthy cause...

Date: June 02, 2014 04:05PM

Dr Mercola does what the Atkins people do. Dr Mercola avoids making the readers aware of the contradictory scientific information. Thus, he hides from his readers what makes his theory look bad. He'll never tell you about the secondary effect of his advice. he will pick pieces of information that are OK ti build momentum and trust, but then he'll slide his pesudo science, which has bad long term effects.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2014 04:07PM by Panchito.

Date: June 02, 2014 06:57PM

Panchito Wrote:
> Dr Mercola does what the Atkins people do. Dr
> Mercola avoids making the readers aware of the
> contradictory scientific information. Thus, he
> hides from his readers what makes his theory look
> bad. He'll never tell you about the secondary
> effect of his advice. he will pick pieces of
> information that are OK ti build momentum and
> trust, but then he'll slide his pesudo science,
> which has bad long term effects.

All you have proved in this thread is that too little fat intake is bad for brains. Get some.

Date: June 03, 2014 12:41AM

All you have proved is that too much fat intake is bad for brain/body. Get less winking smiley

SueZ Wrote:
> All you have proved in this thread is that too
> little fat intake is bad for brains. Get some.

Date: June 03, 2014 06:46PM

temp Wrote:
> A friends dad asked me if i had any tips that
> could help him lose weight because he was
> struggling, i asked him to put down a sample weeks
> food on paper and go from there.
>
> This is what he typically eats daily - a bowl or
> two of frosties cereal, 10+ cans of soda(coca
> cola) that was 350g of sugar alone, half a tub -
> tub of vanilla ice cream, 2 toffee crisp bars and
> the very occasional SAD meal. Basically a sugar
> based diet.
>
> I laughed initially then i wondered how this guy
> had luckily managed to evade developing diabetes,
> he has lots of diet related health problems
> however. The only saving grace is that his
> frosties cereal is fortified with iron, vitamin C,
> D and b12, else he would have probably developed
> scurvy, rickets and anemia.
>
> Hes still 80/10/10 though lol. Probably the worst
> diet ive ever witnessed someone eat, ive seen alot
> of junk laden diets, and used to eat a horrendous
> amount of sugary crap growing up myself, but this
> took the biscuit(no pun).
>
> Thanks Suez, i never knew Dr Mercola did videos,
> will check some out when i get a minute.
>

Oh you'd be surprised at what my diet used to look like and looking back I have no idea how I wasn't sick or ended up with a serious disease. I literally used to eat fast food everyday (McDonald's, Burger King, Subway, Pizza, Buffalo Wings, Culver's, etc.), drank 5-10 sodas per day, oreos, lots of table salt, plastic-bottled water, microwaved foods... yet the worst sickness I ever had was bronchitis once for like a week. Never had any weight problems, never had any blood sugar or blood pressure problems, nothing. When I was born though doctors thought I had leukemia because I had a low white blood cell count, so there's a bit of irony in that I started off with a weakened immune system but after that point my immunity has been quite strong.

Unknowingly I used to intermittent fast though because I rarely ate breakfast. I also used to exercise intensely on an on/off basis (mainly muay thai kickboxing and basketball for 4+ hours), and used to play soccer which was non-stop running so I was likely removing tons of toxins although I was putting many into my body. Even when I wasn't exercising a lot I used to walk about two miles home from school often.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2014 12:25AM by Prana.

Date: June 03, 2014 07:57PM

temp Wrote:
> Thanks Suez, i never knew Dr Mercola did videos,
> will check some out when i get a minute.
>

You're welcome! Here's a really good one to start with, IMO.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2014 12:25AM by Prana.

Date: June 04, 2014 12:21AM

yawn...

[www.webmd.com]

"Ketogenic Diet for Epilepsy

When the body burns (metabolizes) fat, it creates substances called ketones. The ketogenic diet tries to force the body to use more fat for energy instead of sugar (glucose) by increasing fat and restricting carbohydrates. It is not yet clear how or why the ketogenic diet prevents or reduces seizures, but it has been shown to be effective in reducing epileptic seizures in some children.1

One version of the ketogenic diet provides 4 grams of fat for every 1 gram of protein and carbohydrate together. People on a ketogenic diet have to eat mostly fatty foods, such as butter, cream, and peanut butter. Foods such as bread, pasta, fruits, and vegetables have to be severely limited. And the person's total calories and fluids are also restricted. At every meal, the food has to be measured carefully so that the right amounts of each food are given. Even a slight departure from the diet can cancel its effect.

What To Expect After Treatment

A person usually has to fast the day and night before starting the diet. The diet is gradually introduced over several days, so that the body can get used to the dramatic change. The person may feel tired and lack energy during the first few days.

Children are usually admitted to a hospital or epilepsy center when starting the diet so that they can be monitored. The ketogenic diet should always be given under the supervision of a doctor and a dietitian.

Why It Is Done

The ketogenic diet may sometimes be used to treat children who have severe seizures and who have not responded to antiepileptic medicines. It has worked especially well in treating seizures related to Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. It may be a good choice for a child when other treatments have failed to control seizures.

How Well It Works

Doctors are not sure why the ketogenic diet helps prevent seizures. But the diet has prevented epileptic seizures in many children who did not respond to treatment with antiepileptic medicines, including children with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. Another benefit of the ketogenic diet for some children is that it may reduce or end the need for medicine and thus avoid the side effects that result from medicine.

A review of the results from many studies of the ketogenic diet found that 4 out of 10 children on the ketogenic diet have one-half the number of seizures they had before being on the diet.1 Some children have an even greater reduction.

In one study, children on the ketogenic diet had about one-fourth as many seizures as kids who weren’t on the diet. So a child who wasn’t on the diet had 4 seizures for every 1 seizure that a child on the diet had.2

No one knows why the ketogenic diet prevents seizures in some children and not in others or why it has been more successful with children than with adults. If you have a child with uncontrolled epilepsy, you may wish to discuss with your child's doctor whether a ketogenic diet might be an option.

Risks

The ketogenic diet may cause side effects in some people. These are not usually serious but may include:

Dehydration.
Constipation.
Vomiting.
High cholesterol level.
Kidney stones.
Behavior changes.
Slower growth rates in children.
People on the ketogenic diet may develop vitamin and mineral deficiencies unless they take vitamin and mineral supplements. The diet does not supply adequate amounts of the vitamins and minerals the body needs.

Everyone on the diet needs close supervision by a doctor and a dietitian.

What To Think About

Despite the success of the ketogenic diet in some children, many doctors are skeptical of its use. It may pose other health risks to your child, and it is extremely hard to follow. Until more is known about how the ketogenic diet works and what its effects are, some doctors may not recommend using it. If you are thinking about having your child try the ketogenic diet, keep in mind that it has several drawbacks:

For the diet to prevent seizures, your child has to follow it exactly. The amounts and types of foods eaten have to be measured precisely. And preparing meals can take a lot of time.
The diet does not work for some children, no matter how closely they follow it.
The ketogenic diet is not a healthy eating plan for children or adults.
People on the diet usually need to take vitamin and mineral supplements.

Complete the special treatment information form (PDF) to help you understand this treatment.

Citations

Jarrar RG, Buchhalter JR (2003). Therapeutics in pediatric epilepsy, part 1: The new antiepileptic drugs and the ketogenic diet. Mayo Clinical Procedures, 78(3): 359–370.

Neal EG, et al. (2008). The ketogenic diet for the treatment of childhood epilepsy: A randomised controlled trial. Lancet Neurology, 7(796): 500–506."

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables