Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Paul Braggs was in the Source Family Cult
Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: October 25, 2014 08:46PM

You can watch the documentary on Netflix

[www.netflix.com]

Or pay for it on youtube

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2014 08:48PM by coconutcream.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Paul Braggs was in the Source Family Cult
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 25, 2014 09:05PM

where is that beach
is it santa monica?

Date: October 25, 2014 09:13PM

Not sure but they had a psychadelic rock band called

Ya Ho Wa 13.

And they had beliefs that included kindness to animals, raw vegetarian diet, cotton clothing, and sex sans orgasm..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2014 09:13PM by coconutcream.

Date: October 26, 2014 01:55AM

A raw food cult, they all changed their names legally and did psychedelic music and all dressed in white

The Source Family was a spiritual experiment which some call a cult, from the 1970's. They ran a popular health food restaurant on Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood and were a part of the West L.A. spiritual awakening of the time. This book contains an entire transcription of the original "bible" of the Source Family written by its leader, Father Yod, entitled "Liberation," in addition to many other Source Family teachings. In addition to the book of Liberation, this book also contains instructions for Yahowha's Daily Menu, the Center Exercise, the Star Exercise, the Ring of Fire Protection Ritual, Instructions for use of the Sacred Herb, The Pledge of the Disciple, Morning and Evening Prayers, Communions with Elementals, The I AM Prayer, Source Restaurant/Family & Raw Foods Recipes, the 7 Planes, the 20 Cosmic Laws, the Condensed Book of Thoth, the 6 Rules of the Road White Magicians Must Follow, the 7 Hermetic Principles, the 10 Commandments of Buddha, Source Family Member Names, and additional Source Family Resources.

They even got some book on Amazon that is also an uncook book, the SF

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2014 02:01AM by coconutcream.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: October 26, 2014 04:26AM

The dress like the movie Jesus Christ superstar.

Posted by: ocean.sirena ()
Date: October 26, 2014 02:49PM

Wow, They looked amazing! Love their fashion as well! The women are goddesses and their children are gorgeous too. <3 Where do I sign up??? smiling smiley

Posted by: NuNativs ()
Date: October 26, 2014 02:54PM

And they had beliefs that included kindness to animals, raw vegetarian diet, cotton clothing, and sex sans orgasm..

Way to be especially the "sex sans orgasm" for men. Some beautiful people there...

Date: October 26, 2014 03:06PM

Not a bad group if you ask me. They're promoting health. Okay, so they had a "guru" who had many wives but at least they got something good out of it. They got community, support for the raw, compassionate, pacifist lifestyle, they were able to enforce those healthy habits in their lives and detox along the way. They look like heaven to me. Healthy skin and hair. Beautifully lean and glowing. Magical. This is the kind of world or at least community I'd like to live.

Date: October 26, 2014 03:08PM

I'll watch the film though. Thanks coconutcream!

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: October 26, 2014 03:18PM

WOW!!!

I can't believe this is the first time I've heard of this!

I agree with ocean.sirena, "This is the kind of world or at least community I'd like to live." and I too am looking forward to watching this documentary!

Posted by: Raw4ever ()
Date: October 27, 2014 01:27AM

I was reading about Father Yod about six weeks ago or so. I tried to find the film online but it wasn't there for free. I'd never heard of The Source Family before. Father Yod was bigger than life. He died in Hawaii as he crashed a hang glider. I think that's him in the doorway.

By the way, I was at RAWvolution back in August and they had the best Almond-durian drink I could ever hope for!!! I've been trying to reproduce it but mine aren't as good.

Date: October 28, 2014 03:17AM

140 people living in a 3 bedroom house with 3 bathrooms

no comment

Date: October 28, 2014 06:52PM

Ya a little too hippy for me + I am not a follower type. That being said that was a pretty trippy movie...

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 28, 2014 11:32PM

That is so groovy! I don't know about it being a "cult" anymore than Catholicism is a cult but I look forward to seeing it. This is what I have been watching, speaking of groovy hippies:
[www.youtube.com]

Like wow, man...Can you dig it?

Date: October 29, 2014 12:07AM

Oh man I was in a real cult once....one day u all shall hear my story when I am brave enough..

I agree this sounds divine, but just watch the story, it got a little hairy towards the end...

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 29, 2014 12:54AM

I can't watch it--it's on NetFlix. I will wait 'til it goes on Youtube. winking smiley

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: October 29, 2014 01:02AM

la_veronique Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 140 people living in a 3 bedroom house with 3
> bathrooms
>
>
> no comment

140 people with 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms?! Disgusting. Their poor neighbors.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: October 29, 2014 02:07AM

That house looks much larger than 3 bedrooms. It looks like a 3 story mansion.

Date: October 29, 2014 10:22AM

The youtube is not available outside of the U.S.A.

Date: October 29, 2014 09:11PM

can anyone tell me what is NOT a cult?

Date: October 29, 2014 09:12PM

i see cults...everywhere...

Date: October 29, 2014 09:13PM

so would ul say that bragg's apple cider vinegar was cult inspired?

Date: October 29, 2014 09:34PM

la_veronique Wrote:
> so would ul say that bragg's apple cider vinegar
> was cult inspired?

Bragg was special, he first got me into health foods

Bragg's `apple cider vinegar' book was the thing that first got me into health foods. It was the first health book l ever read. I stayed up all night and was completely blown away by it and was a changed man by morning. I'll never forget when l read that if we give our body all the tools/nutrients it needs we can become very healthy...that blew me away. Not long after l was into Wigmore and Kulvinskas.

I never knew that vegetables or junk food made any difference to health untill read Bragg's book. Why? I saw people eating `so called' healthy food who looked no better than anyone else, and l saw people eat junk food who appeared just as healthy as health people. I was always told that bad food was bad for us, but l never saw any direct evidence of it so l brushed that idea aside until l came across Bragg. Bragg said things in a way l needed to hear it so he will always have a special place in my heart.

After reading that Bragg book l entered my first ever health food shop the next day, it was like entering an alien world. I never knew what legumes and algaes and seaweeds were. Much of my family still don't even know what a vegetarian is, and hardly any have ever heard of the word vegan except the youngest members.

I think l am the only person who has ever avoided animal products in my family. Other members would like to also do away with animal products but they still think we need meat to survive.

I know one man who has not had water or a proper vegetable his entire life. His parents always fed him takeaways and coco cola and he still eats like that. Don't know what he had as a baby. He basically has meat, pizza and coco cola.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2014 09:37PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: October 30, 2014 11:25PM

oh cool story about bragg and how that was your foray into health

glad

Posted by: KFCA ()
Date: November 01, 2014 03:13AM

Not quite sure why you were impressed with the late Paul Bragg. He was the biggest liar going in the Alternate Health Industry. I have both the 1940 & 1970 "Paul Bragg's Four Generation Health Food Cook Book & Menus", BTW, and, there's not one recipe in either that calls for even a drop of Apple Cider Vinegar---just lots of lemon juice. But lots & lots of meat recipes if you're interested.

Date: November 01, 2014 06:08AM

KFCA

i only know he did apple cider vinegar and a book on fasting...

why did u get his recipe book if it had all that meat as part of the recipe

maybe you didn't have the chance to flip through it before purchase?

Date: November 01, 2014 06:19AM

Bragg was cool, I once owned most of his books and he too got me started in the whole health seeking thing.

He tried strict raw foods for years but found his strength diminished and he coudn't perform athletically as he wished...

Mind you he was not vegetarian and was known to eat a burger regularly in Hawaii at one of his favorite haunts...

He concl;uded from his observations that whole food healthy mixed eaters lived the longest above strict fruitarians, raw foodists, vegans etc...

Date: November 01, 2014 06:27AM

NuNativs Wrote:

>
> Mind you he was not vegetarian and was known to
> eat a burger regularly in Hawaii at one of his
> favorite haunts...

Yes, that was the rumour. He was rumoured to have eaten hamburgers up to three times per week if l remember right. It seems to be like that with many health food guru types, they rarely seem to fully practise what they preach. I get a good chuckle from that story of Bragg eating hamburgers. Apparently lots of lies were made around his lifestyle including his qualifications of Ph D and his daughter not really being his daughter.

Posted by: KFCA ()
Date: November 01, 2014 04:52PM

Actually the very first person who wrote an Apple Cider Vinegar cure-all diet book was an M.D. Physician from Vermont as I recall. It was on the New York Times best seller list for months circa 1959-1960 & a big topic of conversation back then. I'm sure the guy made a lot of money off it. Obviously Bragg took notice of that and wrote his own book (if it wasn't ghostwritten) praising the product, although earlier he had this to say on the subject:

"There are a few condiments of which I absolutely do not approve and they are vinegar, cayenne pepper, Worchestershire sauce, or any sauces made of vinegar or cayenne pepper." Bragg Health Food Cook Book, Third Edition, Copyright 1941, at Page 27.) He was still saying the same thing in his 1970 Edition of the same book: "In Health food cookery, white flour, white sugar, and vinegar are not used...." (Page 4), and suggesting Lemon Juice as a vinegar substitute at Page 5. No mention whatsoever of Apple Cider Vinegar any place in that book.

Posted by: Lois ()
Date: November 01, 2014 05:46PM

Thanks KFCA. I always enjoy your Historical contributions on the board.

I've never trusted Bragg's Amino Acids, which we've debated in the past.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables