Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

The Nationalization of America
Posted by: Jennifer ()
Date: March 28, 2020 01:08PM

Politicians Have Used This Crisis to Remind Us They're Mostly Wannabe Dictators

[mises.org]

The virus has unleashed petite tyrants to haunt their tiny jurisdictions, using the cover of crisis to arrogate powers belonging to the people.

Witness Robert J. Taylor, mayor of Ostrander, Ohio (population: 643 in the 2010 census), who just declared his village to be in a “state of emergency.” Along with this declaration, the self-righteous mayor instructed constituents to get their news from “trusted sources, which may not include social media in many cases.”

In addition, he admonished them to “Also, please look out for your neighbors and the elderly, in particular.”

Sure, petty nonsense from a petty man. But he also added this, “As warranted, additional measures may be taken until the threat from this virus has subsided.”

So, should our equally petty governor adopt enabling acts and deputize mayors, so to speak, Taylor will gleefully nail decrees on the telephone poles lining either side of main street (really, the only street in his village). And, should those decrees not be given the respect he deems sufficient, he will employ the full force of the apparatus of coercion and compulsion: the state. Measures must always be enforced.

As Hayek showed in his seminal work, Road to Serfdom, “the worst” rise to the top in centrally planned states. However, those trying to move up in a burgeoning centrally planned state can be as evil, given the chance. So, in many ways, the difference between the evil leader on top and those deeper in the nomenklatura is not one of degree, but of opportunity.

I have no idea what drives folks like Taylor—what is truly in their hearts. Nevertheless, the study of human action allows me to assess his actions as means to achieve desired ends. Folks like Taylor use politics as the means to their personal ends. What those ends are, I can only guess, although I do know that he is acting for a reason—a reason, I claim, that does not consider the best interests of his constituents.

Maybe, in an attempt to position himself for the next higher office, he is playing to the media, looking for a guest spot on some local news show—he is already getting local newspaper headlines. Maybe he has aspirations to be county commissioner or governor. Who knows? We do know that he acted, and acted for a reason.

You may object that Taylor really hasn’t instituted some quarantine lockdown or shuttered business, as Ohio governor DeWine has. Taylor is just a shout in the wind. Yet, I believe there is more here. And I fully expect a viral outbreak of similar declarations from other petite officials.

Taylor most certainly read pronouncements from big city mayors. And, if you are in the minors and want to play in the big leagues (should the big leagues ever be allowed to play again), you always need to hit to the fence. Home runs get you noticed, not the odd grounded single. And if each swing further annuls liberty, it’s the old eggs to omelets shrug. Nothing else.

Years ago, I was a petite (possibly petty as well) elected official. I witnessed “the worst” rise to higher office. I always wondered how my fellow school board members would have acted if provided a slightly longer leash. For some, I think, Taylor serves as an example.

Maybe I would have acted the same way with a longer leash, or, better yet, a longer leash and a “crisis” with panicked, loud voices crying for leadership and action.

Yes, Hayek was right, “the worst” rise to the top. However, I believe that there is a codicil as well. Many of “the worst” on their way up are constrained by their current office. Likely, they will not see the top. But that doesn’t mean that, given the opportunity, they would not mimic those who have made it all the way.

The solution, even in a time of “crisis,” is not a haunting state and its officials, petite or otherwise. It is liberty.

Author:

Jim Fedako, a business analyst and homeschooling father of seven, lives in the wilds of suburban Columbus. Send him mail.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2020 01:10PM by Jennifer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Nationalization of America
Posted by: Jennifer ()
Date: March 28, 2020 11:05PM

OMG, I call this The Police State - going door-to-door! Loss of Liberties! Unconstitutional! Thanks all you Sheeple/Chicken Littles/Statists/Government Lovers!

Ayn Rand from "The Nature of Government" 1964:

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the Government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."

Trump Considering Quarantine, Travel Restrictions On New York And New Jersey

[dailycallernewsfoundation.org]

President Donald Trump said Saturday he is considering travel restrictions and a quarantine on New York, New Jersey and other states hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic.

Trump told reporters that he hopes to not have to impose the restrictions, but he also said they could be implemented later on Saturday.

“I’m thinking about that right now. We might not have to do it, but there’s a possibility sometime today we’ll do a quarantine, short-term, two weeks on New York. Probably New Jersey, certain parts of Connecticut.”

The restrictions would be the heaviest imposed to date during the coronavirus pandemic, which has caused more than 1,700 deaths in the United States.

Trump said he spoke earlier Saturday with New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo about the situation in his state, which is at the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak. Trump also talked with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, who has expressed concern about heavy travel from New York to the southern state.

“Some people would like to see New York quarantined because it’s a hot spot. New York, New Jersey, maybe one or two other places, certain parts of Connecticut, quarantined,” Trump said.

The Republican said any order would restrict travel “because they’re having problems down in Florida.”

“A lot of New Yorkers going down. We don’t want that. Heavily infected.”

“This would be an enforceable quarantine. I’d rather not do it, but we may need it.”

Cuomo said Saturday that New York has confirmed 52,318 cases of coronavirus in the state. New Jersey has the second-highest case total of any state, with 8,825. New York City alone is nearing 30,000 cases. Just over 110,000 cases have been reported in the entire United States.

The White House coronavirus task force on Wednesday recommended that New Yorkers self-quarantine for 14 days if visiting outside states.

Rhode Island Gov. Gina Raimondo on Thursday signed an executive order that will legally require travelers from New York to self-quarantine in Rhode Island for 14 days. The order authorizes the Rhode Island highway patrol to pull over vehicles with New York license plates. The National Guard will also begin going door-to-door on Saturday to screen for New York visitors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2020 11:43PM by Jennifer.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables