Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Missing the 7 Week Gang!
Posted by: khale ()
Date: July 03, 2007 12:31PM

morning glories

just wanted to post a note to my friends from the 7 Week All Raw thread...and a howdy do to everyone else as well.

I really miss you guys and hope that all of you are doing well.

I'm persevering: trying to tackle several bad habits at once while exploring my belief system and working a lot on my goals and dreams for the future - near and far - while trying to stay patient and gentle with myself, which is sometimes the hardest part.

Suncloud, if you see this, thanks for the pm.

Pakd4fun and raw-dancer, if you guys are around I hope that you are both feeling better.

talk soon,

khale

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Missing the 7 Week Gang!
Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: July 03, 2007 02:16PM

I am much better. Thanks for thinking of me. It was a nasty virus. The kids all got some symptoms but we were ready for it and had only fed them watermellon. I am not really sure what is best to eat. Before raw I would have given them broth and crackers. Anyway, they all rested and in a few hours felt great again after only having some mild pains. I wonder if ny candida made me more vulnerable to the virus.

I already miss our thread and all you guys. It was a great learning experience.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: July 03, 2007 03:47PM

Hi Khale!
I'm not sure if I was part of that group or not -- I think I posted late in the game at some point -- but an interesting thing happened recently that I'll share since it's kind of appropo. I had food poisoning a few days ago (bad sprouts, I think, believe it or not!), and I got violently ill for about 7 or 8 hours, so much so that my body went through a total cleanse (details not needed, I'm sure). It was a blessing in disguise, because I've needed to cleanse and lighten up for awhile and couldn't get past 2-3 days of water fasting a couple times, and I was eating too much food, and a little too much fat, as well.

Well!, after my experience I felt absolutely wonderful and I've been able to eat EXACTLY the way I know I should with no hunger problems or cravings. I've been eating lots of fruit, mostly the juicier fruits like grapes and peaches, nectarines and apricots, mangoes and blueberries, and some bananas, and a good amount of greens, and only 1/2 avocado a day for fat, except for a Lara bar I had one day over the weekend when I was busy.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: July 03, 2007 09:02PM

Kwan: Now that's what I call a blessing in disguise!

Great hearing from you, and I love the Patanjali quotation!

khale

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: July 03, 2007 11:52PM

Hi all!

Khale, Pakd4fun, and Kwan, glad to see you're doing OK!

Way to PERSEVERE Khale! smiling smiley

Pakd4fun and Kwan, it must feel good to be back again, after being sick. That's very interesting Kwan, that you're doing so well now after your sickness.

I'm doing OK too. Sprouted kamut seems to be working very well for me, and I've been eating it every other day. I've also noticed I can eat seaweeds without sensitivity symptoms! I might alternate my kamut days with my seaweed days. I don't want to push too hard on the kamut right at first.

I'm really excited about maybe making some breakthroughs in my sensitivity issues (to greens)! The 7 Weeks really helped me to focus and make an attempt to find some solutions.

I think also, the kamut sprouts and seaweed (no other greens right now) may be boosting my metabolism somehow. I seem to be dropping just a little bit of weight since I started eating it, even when I eat a lot of other raw stuff too. That's OK by me. I'd kind of like to lose a little. So far, I've just lost 1 or maybe 2 pounds. But that's unusual for me.

I won't be on the computer for a while, because I have way too much to do before I go on my trip. I'll still be checking my PMs though and my email everyday.

Best wishes to everybody, and I'll be seeing you, Khale and Pakd4fun in Lone Star!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2007 11:54PM by suncloud.

Date: July 04, 2007 12:21AM

Woo hoo! A raw party in Texas.

I feel cleaned out from my virus. All my candida symptoms are better and my sense of smell is better than it has been since I lost it nine years ago (it has been coming back since going raw). Food is bursting with flavor. My cravings are better also. The day after I was so sick all I ate was watermelon. I think if I had eaten it before the virus I would have been a lot better off as my kids were.

When I was on the seven weeks I really only did, I think, two weeks, but I ate a little better than I had been and my weight went from fluctuating between 110 and 115 to between 105 and 110. Regular excersize is what is needed with this girl.

Glad you are learning positive things about your diet suncloud.

Khale,I feel like you got the most out of the seven weeks. I think you learned a lot about yourself and what you need to do to get the life that you want. Changing diet is so much more than changing the food you eat. You really worked hard and I am full of admiration for you.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 04, 2007 02:16AM

start a new 7 week gang smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: July 04, 2007 02:25AM

Pakd4fun wrote:

Khale,I feel like you got the most out of the seven weeks. I think you learned a lot about yourself and what you need to do to get the life that you want. Changing diet is so much more than changing the food you eat. You really worked hard and I am full of admiration for you.

Awww shucks

I'll tell you honestly: I'm full of admiration for anyone and everyone who sticks with this diet and lifestyle change, no matter what percentage they currently find themselves. But you are right Pakd4fun, I benefited enormously from this past 7 weeks and there is so much changing in my little brain right now that my head is spinning. I've got a long way to go before I sleep...but that's alright...I've got a lunch packed.

and thank you so much for the compliment.

I'm getting really psyched about our trip to Austin! Can't wait!

Suncloud: Do you have any plans concerning how you will handle food on this trip? What will you do without your kamut? David Wolfe, incidentally, has a few things to say concerning sensitivity to greens. One thing he suggests is soaking the greens in olive oil for a few hours before eating and then, of course, juicing them in small doses until the body can better handle them. He may have said even more but there is soooo much info in this book that I'd have to go back and take another look. I will bring the book with me when we meet.

good talking,

khale

Date: July 04, 2007 07:09AM

Hi Khale,

I second what Pakd4fun said! I think you did fantastic!

Thanks for the reminder about the kamut. I'm going to try to find a few light weight plastic jars and pack them along with some sprouting lids plus kamut, sesame seeds and jungle peanuts, just in case they're not available where I go.

Wish I could bring my weights, but I guess not. Darn!

I've never read anything by David Wolfe. We all have so much to talk about when we meet!

See you soon!

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: July 04, 2007 07:09AM

Yay! lol

Missing the gang, feel like I am lost without the thread!!

Thanks for the concern Khale, still not very well at all, need a couple of days in bed but work just will not give me anytime off to get well! Running myself into the ground, cant wait for the weekend just to sleep for 48hrs!

So yeah not great!

Water fasting, trying to speed up detox and some healing- get this bug out of my system!!

Anywayss hope everyone is well

Raw_dancer xxxx

Date: July 04, 2007 12:05PM

Rawdancer: you gotta do what you gotta do, but I'm honestly confused as to why you persist on water when you must work and are not feeling well.

I have no choice but to trust that you know what you are doing.

hope you feel better soon love,

khale

Date: July 04, 2007 02:47PM

Rawdancer, I am worried about you. You have been sick for a while now. I am with Khale about the water fast. Is it that you can still not tolerate food? I hope you are better soon.

Date: July 04, 2007 09:47PM

I really cant tolerate anything! yes has been now the second week of being unwell. I have managed to beg for a holiday day tommorow so I can sleep/be ill!.. I need some sleep so badly.

Thanks for the concern all

Raw_dancer xx

Date: July 04, 2007 10:26PM

Mornin' folks!

Pakd4fun, I got your email yesterday about the raw camp, and I just sent you a reply. smiling smiley

RawdancerUK! Nice to hear from you again. Sorry you're still not feeling so good.

I won't mince words with you Gemini woman (I love Geminis, my mother was a Gemini)! Sometimes you Geminis are just too courageous and too smart for your own good.

If you're still simply not able to keep food down at all right now, hopefully that will pass. But it's been a few days now, and if that's the case, it's probably time to quit messing around smiling smiley, and go visit the health practitioner of your choice!

Love you rawdancer! And I do hope you're feeling better really soon. Please keep writing to us. smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2007 10:37PM by suncloud.

Date: July 04, 2007 10:48PM

Hi again rawdancer,

My above post originally including a very long lecture to you, because I thought maybe you were deliberately not eating.

But then I read your most recent post. I felt my lecture was inappropriate, so I took it out. If you read it, I hope you weren't offended. My apologies!

Let us know if you start deliberately not eating, and then I WILL lecture you!

Love ya. smiling smiley

Date: July 05, 2007 04:12AM

Hi again rawdancer,

I just can't seem to get you off my mind! smiling smiley.

I hope you didn't mind my calling you Gemini woman. Actually, I don't care what sign you or anybody else is. To me it's just more of a conversation thing. But I'm socially awkward, so I sometimes say socially awkward things!

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say you can't tolerate anything. Do you mean that even fruit is making you sick? Or do you just not have any appetite?

If even fruit is making you sick, then I think it's really time to go see some kind of trained health professional, whether it's an MD or a naturopath, or whoever can maybe help you find out what's wrong. That just seems so unusual even if you have a bad virus.

But if it's just appetite, my concern is that if you're feeling so weak already, maybe it would be better to slow detox down a little at this point, rather than speed it up. That doesn't mean you have to start eating cooked food or anything. But maybe you could eat a very small variety of raw foods (not just fruit) for awhile and see if that might make you feel a little better.

I very much doubt it's a good thing to expect yourself to be able to detox so much all at one time, especially while you're working, even if you do have some kind of virus.

There's nothing wrong with doing detox in phases.

I'm glad you're getting to have some rest. That will surely help.

Well, there I go, lecturing you. Hope you don't mind too much. If you don't agree with any of this, that's definitely OK with me. I just thought I should say it though in case any of it might help!

I wish someone would help me now with this new addiction I have to the computer! I'm having trouble getting away from it. I like talking so much with my new raw friends here, but I know I have to go for a while.

Well, maybe I'll drop in from time to time. smiling smiley

Like I said before though, I'll keep checking my mail.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2007 04:17AM by suncloud.

Date: July 05, 2007 05:03AM

I think a doc is a good idea. You need to be able to eat, juice or something to get your streangth up. Please take care.

Date: July 05, 2007 07:19AM

Thank you everyone for your concern!

I really dont trust my doctor or any of the doctors at the surgery. So I am not too sure, I may just ring the helpline for some sort of ideas on what I can do to help.

Any mention of not eating with EDs on my records is just going to flag them up. so.. really isnt worth the trouble.

oops didnt answer questions! I just have no appetite, no intrest in eating. Just want water and sleep! ..agreed typical stubborn.. gemini! lol..

Thanks all!

Hopefully the sleep will help today

Raw_dancer xxx

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2007 07:25AM by rawdanceruk.

Date: July 05, 2007 08:30AM

Hi rawdancer.

It sounds kind of hard, and it seems like you're also under a lot of pressure from work. Are you still teaching classes too?

You have got a lot on your plate! - except food that is smiling smiley.

I had an ED too, but most of the time, it was bulimia. That was over 20 years ago though (thank goodness!)

Maybe the helpline can help you. Is there anywhere else you could go for some help? Is there maybe a naturopath anywhere near you? Perhaps there's a naturopath who's sympathetic to raw food, and who's had some experience with detox and can give you some advice.

Maybe there's a raw food group in your area where you could go and have some face-to-face support.

I hope you don't mind my asking again, and of course you don't have to answer. But what did you mean when you said you couldn't tolerate food right now? Is it because it's making you sick when you eat it, or is it because you've lost your appetite?

When I had an amoeba and couldn't eat, I didn't know why I was so sick. I thought it was because the bulimia had caused some permanent damage in my stomach. So if you really are getting sick every time you eat, that's one reason to go to a doctor and DEMAND that he refer you to a lab for a fecal analysis.

But if you're not eating because you've lost your appetite, and you feel like a very extreme detox is needed to rid you of some virus or whatever else, don't forget that most important of all, you have the precious gift of life. You can detox for a while, but you have to eat occasionally to stay alive.

It might be time to eat something raw besides fruit. I have several friends who lived on Kauai in the 70s where there were many wild fruit trees and abandoned orchards of guava, passion fruit, lychee, oranges, mangos, etc. A friend of theirs was a dedicated fruitarian who refused to eat anything ever, except for juicy fruit. He wouldn't even eat bananas. According to my friends, he got to looking like a holocaust victim, but he kept insisting he was just "cleaning out".

One of my friends tried to get him to eat a zucchini, but he wouldn't, because he didn't consider it to be a juicy fruit. He wanted so bad to totally clean out and be the perfect fruitarian specimen....... He died.

My Kauai friends told me about this, because one time they were concerned about me the way we're all concerned about you.

So just in case you do have a choice in the matter, you should probably eat something.

Well I'm happy that so far I haven't said anything to you that's made you not want to communicate with us. If I ever do, please tell me, and I will shut right up!

I do hope you're feeling better very soon!

Here's a big hug................................................................smiling smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2007 08:38AM by suncloud.

Date: July 05, 2007 01:04PM

Raw-dancer: Your past history with an ED IS a red flag for me as well. I don't think there is any way around that. I can understand why you wouldn't want a typical, mainstream, allopathic doc poking around an eating disorder in the context of a raw diet - as they will likely not GET THAT at all, but surely there is someone with a background in healing/cleansing diets who can assist you?

I've discussed this before on other threads and I want to say it again. The raw diet in the context of present cultural norms is an extreme diet. Extreme diets attract people with ED's or with a history of ED's. There is no use denying it. The evidence is observable on this site alone.

When I was actively battling my own alcoholism, and after spending some time in a treatment center for substance abuse, I spent almost a year in a halfway house for troubled women. Many of the women in the house with me were bulimics/anorexics...so, I had an opportunity to observe this disorder up close and personal. There are also women in my family with tendencies, and occasions of full-blown symptoms. The most prevalent fixation for women with ED's is an obsession with internal/external cleanliness. So a raw, cleansing diet is like Happy Hour at the Blue Note and a buy one get two free magnet for a person struggling with ED's.

So, if you've EVER struggled with an eating disorder, in my opinion, you need to be very careful and honest with yourself while embarking on any "extreme" diet.

I haven't consumed alcohol alcoholically in many years - and yet, if I were to begin drinking a bottle of wine every night my friends and family would begin to worry. With a history of ED's raw-dancer, not eating is your bottle of wine.

khale

Date: July 05, 2007 06:12PM

Well said guys!

You don't have to trust the docs to get there test results and manage your own care with knowledge, right? I know rest will do you good but nothing will help without nutrition.

Date: July 05, 2007 07:05PM

My doctor will just fob me off, wont run tests and will say I am having an ana epsiode.. thats what she always says..

I cant force them to run tests. They do what they like. Usually just fob people off.

I will continue to sleep over the weekend hopefully will get some energy back.

Thank you all for your replies and ongoing support.

Date: July 05, 2007 11:45PM

get a new doctor then if you cant be upfront and honest withyour doctor .. respect goes both ways .. you listen to their concerns and vice versa ..with neither side getting their shorts in a tizzy smiling smiley

Date: July 06, 2007 02:08AM

I am not sure where you live but there are others on this forum from the UK. Maybe you could get some referrals on finding someone who can help.

Date: July 06, 2007 06:43AM

Jodi it dosent work like that here, you cant just change doctor- you have to see who is in your area and allocated to you.

Thanks guys. Have posted in the Health section for a UK person

Date: July 06, 2007 07:44AM

Good for you Rawdancer for taking that step!

(I just sent you a PM)

Date: July 06, 2007 02:55PM

sorry hun but i find it a bit hard to swallow that you have no avenue of changing doctors .. the UK is not a communist regime where what they say goes .. if you are unhappy with you doctor find out who they report too and tell them you are not comfortable with this person and you want to be assigned to someone else?

sorry im not trying to be antagonistic .. i had a horrible doctor for 10 years and the clinic kept telling me much the same thing that i wasnt allowed to switch .. well i finally just said friggen switch me or im gonna start making some real noise .. well they gave in to me and lucky for me .. the new doctor ran all sorts of tests the old doctor couldnt be bothered to and found out i had cancer

imagine what would have if i had just quietly suffered with that stupid doctor id had for 10 years ...?

again i dont know your location exactly .. maybe your on a military base or a small village in the middle of nowhere

i hope you get some satisfaction soon tho smiling smiley

Date: July 09, 2007 12:32PM

I've finished my first read-through of David Wolfe's Sunfood Diet Success System and thoroughly enjoyed it. Mr. Wolfe has such a youthful and optimistic spirit that its hard to resist, and I like his approach to the diet with its emphasis on leafy greens and the balancing of food types with one another. He also devotes a large portion of the book to the principles of positive thinking, goal setting, visualization and the Laws that govern creating the life you want so that the raw diet is experienced within a whole self-created program of revamping ones entire life. This appeals to me. I'd definitely recommend the book. I think it deserves a place in any raw foodists library.

I've been struggling some, on a more personal note, with feelings of isolation and loneliness lately. I've suffered a few slip-ups with food, and what is worse, with feelings of discouragement, and so its been necessary to spend a lot of time reading inspirational books, writing encouraging notes to myself, and doing more active goal planning in order to stay focused. I have this beautiful wooden jar with a lid that a friend gave me that I am using as a quotation jar. I've long been an avid collector of inspirational quotations and I'm slowly copying them onto slips of paper and then folding them up and putting them in this jar so that I can reach in at any time and grab one as a "thought for the day" sort of thing.

I think what's needed most of all is involvement in a local community of like-minded others. This is something that I'll likely have to create from the ground up and I'm planning to start a local on-line community for people interested in "alternative" diets, lifestyles and so on. I will hopefully be pleasantly surprised at just how many people show up, because I just know that there are people out there, its just a matter of finding one another. An on-line community can be the beginning of a "real life" community, pot lucks and other activities, and perhaps a real expansion of raw food interest in a cooked food town. Wouldn't that be sumthin...

Well, thanks for listening guys and gals.

I hope that all of you are well; fueling your beautiful bodies with real food and your minds with wondrous thoughts.

talk soon,

khale

Date: July 10, 2007 03:28AM

Hi khale,

Sorry you've been feeling lonely. sad smiley

I love what you're doing with the quotation jar. And the idea to bring together like-minded folks in your community sounds really good.

Try not to get discouraged. All things come to those who wait, y'know (or something like that)! smiling smiley Good that you're so actively involved in keeping yourself on your path. You'll make it!

Love ya.

Date: July 10, 2007 03:57AM

>
> I think what's needed most of all is involvement
> in a local community of like-minded others. This
> is something that I'll likely have to create from
> the ground up and I'm planning to start a local
> on-line community for people interested in
> "alternative" diets, lifestyles and so on.

take the first step and i will be right there on the bath beside you smiling smiley

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables