Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: I need your expertise about a computer problem
Posted by: Jose ()
Date: July 13, 2007 11:22AM

I have a Dell right now and it's really on it's last legs. Next computer I'm buying is a Mac. Also, runnning Linux (instead of Windows) would solve a lot of these problems, but it might not be easy to install if you're not very familiar with installing operating systems software.

Cheers,
J

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: July 13, 2007 02:33PM

I've only ever bought Macs and have never regretted it.

PCers always say that Macs are limited, but it's like raw diet versus cooked for me: sure there are things I'll never have again, but maybe they aren't worth having anyway.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 15, 2007 02:08AM

I've been playing with Linux Mint, a Unbuntu linux variant for the last few days. Whats great about this is that the OS is free, and runs on older Windows pcs, and does most everything you can do in Mac or Windows, but all the software is FREE. Its UI is not as smooth as the MacOSX, but it works pretty well.

Linux Mint is like Ubuntu except it can out of the box play DVDs, MP3s, XVIDs, etc.

All these linuxes have Live CDs, where you can boot up a CD an take the OS for a test run. Its a bit slow because all the applications are running on a CD instead of a hard drive, but you get to test it without disrupting your Windows environment.

But I agree with acqudecoco: Mac is the way to go if you have the money. And if you can afford Windows, the difference in price between the Mac and Windows is money well spend on headaches you'll never have on a Mac.

For low budget (read free), Linux is great.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 15, 2007 02:11AM

no wonder i like raw foods
so simple

all the hardware is in a seed
and as long as i don't heat it

it stays intact

viva la naturale

viva la vida!

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: July 18, 2007 03:32PM

La Veronique,

Is eveything running properly yet? If not definitely run Hijackthis and paste a log file on here or email it to phil@philgriffiths.net

Lois,
I never had a problem with any Dell machines I've owned and as a PC Engineer I have to say the were the machines I had to work on the least. Any of them can go wrong though.

I am not a fan of Windows either, but if we all suddenly started using MAC's some bright spark would start figuring out the weakness and hacks within their OS too.

Mac OS is so much more stable though, I am likely going to switch myself next time I need get or build a new machine, especially with the amount of software that is availiable now.

Phil.

--------------------------------------------------

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it" (Chinese Proverb)

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 18, 2007 04:00PM

Phil - I mean specifically the Dell laptops from a couple years ago. They both ended up dying. We got a new motherboard for one, but it was still flaky.

I have a question for you -- the Dell laptop that was flaky -- my daughter was playing around with some hematite (magnets) and she was putting it near the computer vent and the fan would shut off and then when she took it away, the fan would go back on, and she was doing that a few times. Then my husband said -- don't have magnets near a computer or it can ruin the memory. Then the next time we turned it on, it was only a black screen, and beeping a lot. So -- do you think the magnets ruined it totally and do you know of any way to get it working again?

Another question -- Is the Advanced Windows Care an anti-virus program or just anti-spyware? What's your favorite free anti-virus download?

Also, today my Mozilla isn't working -- is anybody else having that problem?

Date: July 19, 2007 11:56AM

Hi Lois

You shouldn't put magnets near your computer, they have potential to destroy or seriously damage any form of magnetic media.

Hematite generally isn't that strong, but it is advisable to keep it away particularly if you are noticing it causing a reaction as you mentioned above.

Advanced windows care is antispyware, cleans up you disk, fixes the registry of any faults, clears any bad cookies.

Which Mozilla program? Firefox?

My favorite free antivirus was AVG, I am not sure, Avast is ok, PC Tools have a decient one. You are better off buying really, the free one was great, is it even still available?

Phil.

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it" (Chinese Proverb)

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 20, 2007 05:15PM

hi jadeshade

i ran Advanced Windows Care like you said to
thanks for the tip!! i appreciate itsmiling smiley

next step:

how to figure out how to download hijack this and do the log thing

will be back

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 21, 2007 11:19AM

I have Mozilla Firefox and IE. I have the free PC anti-virus program.

Do you listen to the Kim Komando show on the weekends on AM radio talking about computers -- it's good. Here's her website with a bunch of free downloads that she recommends --

[www.komando.com]

We took the Dell laptop to MajorGeeks and they said it ruined and it would cost more to fix than it's worth, so we screwed up with the hematite.

Date: July 23, 2007 12:01PM

Thanks Lois,
I will have to check that out. Yeah, best to keep magnets away. Unless you have some spare parts laying around it's probably not worth fixing then.

Phil.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables