Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

skinny dipping
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 02, 2007 03:34PM

so we went skinny dipping last night .. and of course .. i gotta start wondering the origins of the phrase skinny dipping ...

most people seem to think it had something to do with skinny people BUT here is what i found out lol

Skinny, of course, comes from skin. In the 16th century it meant 'formed from skin' or 'being characterized by skin'. It wasn't until early in the 17th century that you find skinny used to mean 'thin'. In fact, the first written citation of this meaning for skinny is in Shakespeare's Macbeth (I,iii): "Each at once her choppie finger laying Vpon her skinnie Lips" (1605).

So, the skinny in skinny dipping is not new at all, rather it recalls the meaning that was primary from the 15th to the 18th centuries. Skinny dipping is a kind of dip, one that is characterized by lots of skin.

The expression isn't nearly as old as I thought it would be, either. The first written citations are from the 1960s: "Three members of the San Francisco Sexual Freedom League went skinny dipping in the San Francisco bay" (Punch, October 1966). Of course, people were swimming naked long before that, but it doesn't seem like it was called anything special, just "nude swimming."

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: skinny dipping
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 04, 2007 07:54AM

jodi always has cool things to say
wonderful!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 08, 2007 03:09AM

lol thanks LaV tongue sticking out smiley its my personal torment ... the need to know whatever everything is all about lol

wheni was a kid my mom said i would dismantle just about anything i could get my hands on to see what made it work

she thought i was gonna be a demolition expert winking smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 09, 2007 05:39AM

and now u are!!

hoorrrayy!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables