Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How Do You Make Things Happen In Your Life?
Posted by: kwan ()
Date: September 30, 2007 02:25AM

This is a ridiculous question, but one I still struggle with almost every day. I have always had a kind of inertia, to varying degrees-- more than most people-- and I don't know why. I have art and music-related talents and I used to spend a fair amount of my time playing and recording music and creating painted silk for a living. I find it almost impossible to move forward with any plans now, even though when I look at other artists' work online it almost takes my breath away, and I get very excited about color and design. I can't seem to translate it into my own personal activity, despite having done it perfectly well in the past. It's almost frightening at times.

I can generate extreme enthusiasm and motivation for 2-3 days every once in awhile; then it goes away completely-- seems to evaporate-- and with that feeling of 'evaporation' comes a suffocating panicky, sad feeling. How do you get motivated and decide what to do with your creative, intellectual or physical energies to earn a right livelihood?

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2007 02:25AM by kwan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How Do You Make Things Happen In Your Life?
Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: September 30, 2007 02:45AM

Sharrhan, we were just talking about this today at my place.

I believe this often stems from lack of mirroring or attention from the important people in your infancy and childhood. A lot of talented and intelligent people do little with their natural gifts because they feel whatever they do isn't worth the effort. They weren't made to feel valued when young and the dynamic sticks.
I know the link exists in myself and I know of others who have very similar 'problems'.
I know everything can be turned into psychobabble, but this seems to be a fairly common problem.

There's a chart of cause and effect throughout childhood which shows this kind of thing quite clearly. I'm really busy so I'll post it later.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 30, 2007 03:00AM

hi kwan

have u ever thought about joining an artist support group
where people can talk/share about their ideas etc.
and encourage each other?

if there aren't any around
perhaps you can form one on your own and invite others

if you are in charge of it
then that will be the impetus for you to strive forward

funny how that works

i have a friend who had a problem
and there was no support
so she just MADE the group
she wrote out the guidelines

and it worked out fantastically

also
don't forget
the bottom line is to have fun
appreciate each other's creative spirits
and inspire each other to express themselves

hey maybe u could turn it into a quasi raw food/ artist support group party bonanza

maybe u could put out flyers and then a day could go something like this

Saturday

4 to 4 30 Introduction ( people talk about themselves and what they wish to accomplish)
4 30 to 5 30 (ice breaker) : u get a bunch of thought provoking questions relating to arts and emotions/spirits stick them in a box and then pass it around..
each person reaches into a box and reads the question aloud and then answers it

5 30 to 6 30 people who choose to bring in some of their artwork ( of different "venues" and discuss it/get feedback"

6 30 to 7 30 : eat raw foods

for the next event, u put a bunch of raw recipes in a box, shake it around, have everyone put their hands in the box and pull out a single recipe... that is what they will make and bring to the next artist/raw potluck event

well, if they aren't raw... just tell them to bring a salad or fruit ( LOL)
besides, the focus is on the art anyhow

that's just my two pence

Date: September 30, 2007 03:06AM

Wow, so true, true, TRUE, Aqua. I've known this throughout my teens and my adult life, and the reminder is timely. I experienced extreme rejection from my adoptive family and was made to feel that nothing I did pleased them when I was growing up, and I eventually became listless and shut down.

But I NEVER give up. I just keep trying. Sometimes it seems like a crazy pursuit, but I feel that someday I'll overcome my history of inertia and manifest all the massive creativity that's exploding inside of me.

Thanks. Recognizing the original cause of this dynamic really gives me a handle to work with.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: September 30, 2007 05:16AM

Every time you don't feel like doing anything, do one really, really, REALLY small amount of work... Then you can acknowledge to your mind, that, despite not feeling like you could or would accomplish anything, you actually did. Then repeat as much as you can.

Basically, start believing that the "you" that you are now, is not the "you" that you must always be (in fact, to believe that would be insane, as we are constantly changing)... Believe that you can change, then seek to find ways how. I'm on the same path as you, and I'm also an artist, so I can relate. Take care grinning smiley

Date: September 30, 2007 01:41PM

La v--
What a genius you are; thank you. I love your idea. And since I've already wanted to host raw food events here, starting an artist support group + raw food is a beautiful idea that appeals to me. This is something I will do.

A few years ago I used to get together with an artist friend once a week to 'play'-- which usually meant doing painting and drawing, but also going to Goodwill or the art store or just talking. My drawing and painting skills soared as a result of the weekly get-together, and I sold my art cards at a local bookstore.

Thomas--
Yes, that's really wonderful advice! In fact, that's kind of what I've been doing: on my breaks while I'm working (I have kind of long break periods where I can go and sit down for 30-40 minutes) I always have my beadwork with me in a backpack and I make earrings or pendants for necklaces. Most of my projects only take 1/2 hour or maybe an hour to make, and they give me some creative satisfaction.

I found a wonderful website last night that has a psycho-spiritual approach (and not a 'think and grow rich' hustle and go get'em kind of approach) to getting one's motivation back and achieving goals, and I started working with it last night. It works with the ideas of Emmett Fox, and starts you out with the 'Burning Bowl' process, where you clear your mind of the clutter of the past by looking back at your life, in 7 year segments, writing down every person or situation that hurt you physically, emotionally, etc. Then you throw all the little slips of paper in a steel bucket or a big metal bowl and burn them up. After that you work with a gratitude journal while you're setting up your goals.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: September 30, 2007 09:39PM

thomas lantern

that is an EXCELLENT idea
i do agree with it
i do that too whenever i'm doing something and get "stuck"
i just break it down as small as possible until i can do SOMETHING of it
even five minutes of it is fine for me

SUPER! it works! it actually does build confidence that u can do it when u see that even the smallest increments are unfolding before you

kwan, maybe you could also have people in the group bring whatever they need and create a space ( for perhaps starting for 40 minutes only) where they can do their artwork... then talk about what the process was like then share it as well

just an idea

that is cool that your art was able to skyrocket during that time when u got together with a friend

i did something similar to that and it was ALWAYS successful when the intent to get things done together was implemented

i'm very good at getting things done when i partner up with other people and take the lead in deciding how it will be done

when i'm doing things by myself though it can be a bit more difficult in always motivating myself though i do have strategies similar to what thomas lantern was talking about

it really is cool how other people can motivate each other

there is something to it

if you are not sure of how to start it

maybe you could start out small

like just another person and you

then you could expand

slowwwwwlllly from there

so as to not get overwhelmed with so many people

and be comfortable with people whom you know have a vested interest in the same goals : artistic expression

let us know how it goes

LV

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 01, 2007 12:53AM

kwan when i really want soemthng to move forward and it starts to get that feeling (evaporating) i seek out and surround myself with the people that can make these things happen and/or have similiar MO's as i do

nothing like a good cheerleading squad in your back pocket ! winking smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: October 01, 2007 08:58AM

the jay -gunn has spoketh

a cheerleading squadron is of paramount importance

Date: October 01, 2007 01:09PM

LaVeronique--
I figured out how to title my art support group:

"Coming Unglued and Getting Unstuck"
<funny graphic of a frustrated, hysterical looking artist>
"(Free) Support Group for Artists Struggling with
Creative Blocks, Decision-Making and Goal Setting Issues"

(something pretty close to the above, anyway)

Gotta get a new printer cartridge today and make a really great sign, copy it and put it up on local bulletin boards.

Thomas-- the 'start small' idea is so right. I often find if I just start with something small, my enthusiasm builds, and then I can segue into something more ambitious.

Thanks LaV and Thomas!

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: October 01, 2007 09:12PM

Thanks to you as well, Kwan, and LaV! You help me re-align my focus as well smiling smiley
And knowing that you are having some success with the concept of small steps reminds me that it DOES work!

Cheers all grinning smiley

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: October 02, 2007 03:12PM

Great thread guys. Thanks.

I like Thomas' start small advice. When my candida got really bad I had no energy or motivation. Now that I am feeling better I want to do more creative things. I have been doing more and those old feelings Kwan described are back. I am embracing those feelings though. At least I am in a rut and not worn down with candida smiling smiley.

Date: October 02, 2007 08:38PM

kwan :

you said your support group title could be :

"Coming Unglued and Getting Unstuck"
<funny graphic of a frustrated, hysterical looking artist>
"(Free) Support Group for Artists Struggling with
Creative Blocks, Decision-Making and Goal Setting Issues"

instead of using the word "struggling with"
do u think it would give the artists more respect by using the word "striving towards" greater creativity, decision making and goal setting?

in this manner, what the artists have already achieved is given greater continuum

when you use the word "struggle", this sets a "tone" and that tone tends to disconnect the artist from their former achievements and states in which they were indeed free and in the flow

perhaps u could come up with something of the same for your "coming unglued and getting unstuck"?

the way i see it, if i were to be a part of a support group for artists
i don't wish it to be a group where people focus on their "struggle"

but on their creative talents first and foremost

when people focus on their talents, struggle will naturally come up
but that is to be seen as secondary, not the focus

this is just my opinion

take it or chuck it

just how i see it

artists are unique people
they deserve a lot of respect

focusing on their talents FIRST is more respectful then focusing on their struggles

i know that when i struggled with things ( a LOT of things, actually)
and someone who had talents that were greater than I would point out where my skills were and try and work with me from that point... i did a LOT better than someone who was commiserating with me for what i did not yet possess

Date: October 02, 2007 10:36PM

LaV,
Totally great point-- thanks! I'll definitely phrase it in this more positive way.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: October 02, 2007 10:41PM

i like LaV's thoughts smiling smiley

the infinite wisdom of the green goddess ! smiling smiley

an hey kwan your Private message box is full ! tongue sticking out smiley (gosh i wish we could have more then 5 messages lol)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2007 10:44PM by Jgunn.

Date: October 02, 2007 11:44PM

>hey kwan your Private message box is full ! tongue sticking out smiley <

Try again-- I just deleted them. That's strange though, that it said it was full; there were only 2 messages in my box.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: October 03, 2007 12:06AM

hehe i hear ya .. the mysteries of the message box continue to elude me ..i just wish we could save more then 5 winking smiley

Date: October 03, 2007 12:40AM

tongue sticking out smiley

smiling smiley

Posted by: Jose ()
Date: October 03, 2007 10:12AM

I think you can only have a maximum of 5 including any saved messages that might not be in the inbox... smiling smiley

Cheers,
J

Date: October 03, 2007 03:04PM

Thanks Jose!-- didn't know that.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables