Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

AAAHHH!! need your help, sorry gross meat story.
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 26, 2007 01:38AM

trying to feed the cats raw, had to cut up some bony chicken (OoOooHH sssooo gRoSS, blech) and now i am totally paranoid about the bacteria on my stuff.
HALP! do i have to bleach things? how do i get it clean? i won't go into detail about the greasy nastiness of it all but, erg, eww.

i used a plastic cutting board, not my nice bamboo one. do i? do i have to bleach it? please come to my house and help me out, i don't want to do this alone sad smiley
i haven't even fed it to them yet, dissecting it was nearly the end of me. how do people eat this stuff? i mean , HOW do they buy these pink blobs of goo at the shop, bring it home and fish it out of it's styrofoam nest with the big bloody meat tampax underneath and then PREPARE IT AND FEED IT TO THEIR FAMILY?!?
omg, i'm disturbed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: AAAHHH!! need your help, sorry gross meat story.
Date: November 26, 2007 02:45PM

HELLO!!! this was not a rhetorical question folks. don't just look (14 views so far) make a suggestions! that stuff is abandoned on my counter and i don't want to go near it.

ah screw it, i'm just going to fill the sink with bleach and soak it all.

Posted by: Werewolf ()
Date: November 26, 2007 03:34PM

I don't know to much about the bacteria found in raw meat, but I DO know that bleach is poisonous! I would not suggest using bleach, and I would ESPECIALLY not suggest soaking dishes/cutting boards/utensils in bleach. I've heard it said that cutting boards are difficult to completely clean, maybe because of the many grooves formed from cutting food on them. I wonder if, like bacteria, toxic cleaning products can get stuck in there too?

Sorry I can't be more help, coco!

-Alex

Date: November 26, 2007 04:18PM

Hi Coco,

Sounds like you're having a lot of fun with your new kitty smiling smiley

I'm totally grossed out whenever I have to feed my 3 cats, too. And when I have to clean out their dishes.

I usually can't be bothered to use gloves when I cut up their raw food, so I just wash my hands with soap and water afterward, and I just wash the dishes with soap and water on a brush, I don't cut up my food on a cutting board -- I just use a regular plate, and wash it with soap and hot water.

I hate the whole nasty process, but it's better than the cooked canned food that we also feed the cats - that's even worse because it stinks.

I would never use bleach, unless it was an emergency, like a stain on clothes or something, because it's so unyhealthy to breathe and touch.

Lois

Date: November 27, 2007 12:01AM

Just be glad your cats don't have the pee problem -- I felt sorry for mine this afternoon because it was raining a bit, and let them all in the house for a couple hours, and now I just stepped into some pee on the kitchen floor - they went all over the Whole Foods bags, my daughter's backpack and on my new slippers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2007 12:08AM by Lois.

Date: November 27, 2007 12:33AM

i am certain i will live to regret that fact that i'm laughing a little right now. that really isn't funny at all. darn cats.

ok, they have conjunctivitis. i've been spraying their eyes with colloidal silver for the past few days (and isn't that fun? suddenly i have fluffy death balls of teeth and claws) but it's not getting any better. back to the antibiotic drops we go.

kitty number three has gone to live on a farm. whew.

Date: November 27, 2007 12:50AM

As far as their raw food goes -- I keep all their meat in one drawer in the refrigerator, and each type of meat is in a plastic bag. I use one special pair of kitchen scizzors to cut it all up -- I have the butcher crush up the bones in the chicken thighs, so I don't have to do that. So it's really only the scizzors, the plate to cut it on, and the cat dishes, and I just wash them with Dr. Bronners and hot water with a special dish brush. It's not too bad when you get used to it.

Posted by: jono ()
Date: November 27, 2007 09:17AM

I've been eating raw grass fed beef the last few weeks.. I'm on a primal kick. I seem to still be alive and well.

I don't think bacteria are the problem, rather an unhealthy body where bacteria can thrive.

Breathing bleach fumes is really nasty.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 27, 2007 05:36PM

coco i have the dude behind the counter at safeway do all my cutting and chopping ..

its better that way smiling smiley no charge and all i gotta do is pull out small hunks from a bag an toss them in the dish

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: November 28, 2007 04:55PM

i was thinking of that actually. surely the butcher can chop this mess up for us so we don't have to? surely.

jono, gross! whatever floats your boat dude but after touching the inside of a dead creature for a while i had Zero inclination to put any of it in my mouth. ugh.

Posted by: Jose ()
Date: November 28, 2007 06:37PM

oh dear, just read your story, hope it wasn't as traumatic as it sounded!

Yeah, I think the butcher out to be able to chop it up, and the same with the fish if you ever buy some of that.

Hope the cats get better! Yours sound pretty hairy too Lois!

Cheers,
J

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables